Author Topic: Which MIDI message can emulate the Pitch Shift effect?  (Read 665 times)

DaffyDuck1

Which MIDI message can emulate the Pitch Shift effect?
« on: August 06, 2022, 09:50:50 PM »
I am trying to create a midi file that could mimic the Pitch Shift effect from the style's RTR menu (when played on a keyboard).

How this effect works is if you try to play a new chord while the current chord is still ringing it would try to "morph" it into the new chord.

It does it very interestingly. At first I thought it must be some sort of pitch bend effect, but after some testing I believe it isn't, for a few reasons:

- All sort of pitch bend/transposition/tuning/note shift commands affect the whole channel if not the whole instrument (from what I can tell), but if we want to be able to morph a major chord into a minor (which the style player does) it requires individual note shifts. We also might be morphing 2 note chords into 4 note chords for example, for which pitch shifting the existing chord wouldn't work (the style player can do it).
- If I try to record the midi messages the keyboard is transmitting during the pitch shift it appears to be issuing "note off" events for the old chord and then regular "note on" events for the new chord. So it looks like it is not trying to modify the existing chord in any way, it stops it and then retriggers the new chord.

My best guess is it doesn't do any pitch bends and does retrigger the new chord from scratch, but it is changing its attack/decay/sustain/release to match the old chord (either for individual notes or temporary changing the whole voice's A/D/S/R settings for the first chord).

Can you think of any MIDI messages that could achieve a similar effect? I studied the data sheet but I can't find anything that could help here.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:58:23 PM by DaffyDuck1 »