Genos (12 Boards) > Genos Voices & Revo Drums

Excellent Rotary effect found!

(1/3) > >>

MadrasGiaguari:
Dear friends,

as a former owner of an Hammond with Leslie cabinet, in the many keyboards I had, I always searched for a decent "rotary" effect.

I found an excellent  effect on my Clavinova CVP309 (Rotary Speaker 5), enough intense, also featuring the gradual velocity change from slow to fast, and opposite.

Few days ago I got my new Genos, and I was quite disappointed for the "Vibrato" quality and intensity of Genos rotary effects.
But insisting in my search, I finally discovered that Genos still carries the effects from older keyboards, under the list "Legacy".
And I happily found that the beautifull "Rotary Speaker 5" is there!  ....just the same.

Before to go to detailed procedure, I need to strongly advise to connect an expression pedal (as Yamaha FC7), to may really enjoy the beauty of the organ sounds, including Leslie effect.
I use the expression pedals also for other sounds, like pads, solo instruments (sax, trumpet, synth, ecc.), getting more realistic results (the velocity control does not get to the same level of control).

-Press Right1 button (only: mute Right 2 and 3)
-Just above, press Voice Select-Right1 (a page with all the main voices will appear)
-In the left part of this page, select the voices group "Organs"
-Select "Gospel Organs" (since this is a Voice of the "Organ flutes", you may personalize the sound at your test trough the 9 drawbars/sliders, also adding Percussion, if needed)
-On the right part of the pannel, press "Voice" button
-In the Voice page, press Effect
-Press the area of Right 1 (small square space above the send effect slide controller
-Press "Type"
-On the left side, "Category", scroll to page 2 and
-Press "Legacy" (is where the many effects from older keyboards are)
-On the right side, scroll "Type" till page 32
-Select "Rotary Speaker 5"

-go to mixer, and adjust volume of Righ1 (this effect boosts volume a lot)
-to switch from Slow to Fast, and opposite, use the dedicated button on the left pannel.

That's it.

Please consider that by using the 9 drawbars, you can make hundreds of different Hammond sounds, starting from the epic organ sound of "A whiter shade of pale" (drawbars volume: 6-8-8-6-0-0-0-0-0, with a nice Reverb).

Hope it will help.

Greetings from Roma  :)

Angelo

Toril S:
Thanks a lot Angelo!!😀❤️

overover:
Hi Angelo,

1) did you already try the following "new" Genos Rotary Speaker effect types?

Block: Chorus, Variation, Insertion 1 - 28
Category: Modulation
                   > Real Rotary
                   > Dual Rotary Speaker Bright
                   > Dual Rotary Speaker Warm
                   > Rotary Speaker 1

>>> Do you prefer "(Legacy) Rotary Speaker 5" to the effect types I mentioned? What do you think of the "Real Rotary" type?

2) What do you think about the following "combined" Rotary effects (Distortion / Overdrive / AmpSimulation + Rotary Speaker)?

Block: Variation, Insertion 1 - 28
Category: Legacy
                   > Dist + Rotary SP
                   > Dist + 2way Rotary SP
                   > OD + Rotary SP
                   > OD + 2way Rotary SP
                   > Amp Sim + Rotary SP
                   > Amp Sim + 2way Rotary SP         

P.S.
Detailed information on the parameter settings of the various Rotary effect types can be found in the Genos Data List, pages 64/65.

Edit: I just found that "Rotary Speaker 5" effect type is based on the CHORUS effect template (Data List, page 56), NOT on a "Rotary Speaker" template ... ;)

Best regards,
Chris

MadrasGiaguari:
Dear Chris,

thank you for comments and questions. I see that you are deeply interested to this matter.

I tested the other effect combinations, as you suggested, nice.

The choice of the Rotary, of course, as for any sound component, is a very personal fact. I just wanted to  share the result of my search, whose target was to find a rotary effect that could be enough near to the original Leslie, or not to far from it.

I also have an Hammond XM2 (module corresponding to XC1 Hammond Suzuki organ) with XM2c (drawbars unit for operating the module). It has a built in Leslie effect quite good. But I must say that I'm satisfied with Genos Leslie emulation. Therefore I'm not going to use the Hammond module, even though its sound is warmer than  Genos.

I hope you use an expression pedal, wich makes the real difference.

Thank you,

Angelo

intheword:
This is a great topic of interest to me!  The Real Rotary effect that is assigned to the Gospel Organs voice has a big problem, when you switch from slow to fast, it hits the fast vibrato instantly, it does not gradually speed up, like a real Leslie.  I tried your setting Angelo and it sounds wonderful to me. 

So then I decided to try to assign this Legacy Rotary Speaker 5 setting to the voice called All Bars Out.  What was strange, was after I assigned the Legacy effect to this other patch, the vibrato went from slow to fast instantly, and sounded horrible.  I was confused because the speed up on the Gospel Organ voice was not super fast but gradual.

Here is another question from a newbie, how can I save the Legacy Leslie effect to the Gospel voice so every time I select it "remembers" the new effect?

Also, what buttons can I press in order to activate the 9 drawbars so I can adjust them while I am playing the keyboard in real time?

Thanks!  Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version