Author Topic: Transfer of Genos packs from one PC to another  (Read 4264 times)

Offline torben

Transfer of Genos packs from one PC to another
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
Hi friends

I have tried to raise this issue before - maybe in the wrong form. So I try again.

Recently I bought a new computer. So I have to reinstall (download) a new version of YEM (2.6) on this (new) PC. My problem now is to have a transfer of all my old packs bought at Yamaha and elsewhere to this new PC. They can be found on my old PC, and I have - via  the old YEM - managed to create a Pack Install file from this (old YEM) . It is called Genos_PackInstallData.cpi

So my question is this: After downloading the most recent version of YEM can I transfer the whole package from the old PC (the cpi file) to the new YEM (by import)? I will also - of course - have to import my Genos instrument info. Or do I need some other files from my old PC, while I still have it?

I could of course reimport my packages from Yamaha, but the rest will be gone ...

Hope this makes sense!?

Kindest regards

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Stijn

Re: Transfer of Genos packs from one PC to another
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »
YEM Backup

Moving from an old to a new computer?
Then you should copy this folder

“C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Yamaha\Expansion Manager”  to  a usb drive and paste it into the new computer.

XXX = User Name

Stijn
I'm not talented ... but I practice a lot.
please visit  https://www.youtube.com/@StijnBettens/videos

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline zionip

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:02:38 PM »
Hi friends

I have tried to raise this issue before - maybe in the wrong form. So I try again.

Recently I bought a new computer. So I have to reinstall (download) a new version of YEM (2.6) on this (new) PC. My problem now is to have a transfer of all my old packs bought at Yamaha and elsewhere to this new PC. They can be found on my old PC, and I have - via  the old YEM - managed to create a Pack Install file from this (old YEM) . It is called Genos_PackInstallData.cpi

So my question is this: After downloading the most recent version of YEM can I transfer the whole package from the old PC (the cpi file) to the new YEM (by import)? I will also - of course - have to import my Genos instrument info. Or do I need some other files from my old PC, while I still have it?

I could of course reimport my packages from Yamaha, but the rest will be gone ...

Hope this makes sense!?

Kindest regards

Torben

Hi Torben,

You copy recursively (or drag) "C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Local\Yamaha" folder into a USB flash drive from your old PC.  This takes care of all the installed expansion packs for you.  Please note that by default Windows Explorer does not show AppData under "C:\Users\<YourUserName", you have to type explicitly the path in order to be able to get into that folder.

Then insert the USB flash drive into your new PC and copy / drag the 'Yamaha' folder to "C:\Users\<YourUserName\AppData\Local" folder and overwrite the current subdirectories and files.

Since the Genos_InstrumentInfo.n27 file of Genos 2.0 is different from firmware 1.41, you have to re-export the Genos_InstrumentInfo.n27 file from your Genos:
Menu -> Menu2 -> Expansion -> Export Instrument Info -> OK -> OK

Unplug the USB drive from your Genos, and plug it in your new PC.

Then you invoke Yamaha Expansion Manager 2.6 on you new PC, delete the Genos under "Install Target" on the left.  Then click the "+" to import the new Instrument Info file using the Genos_InstrumentInfo.n27 in the root directory of your USB drive.  Then you can recover all of your previously installed expansion packs, and import the Genos 2.0 Superior pack, with the new allowable Voice Wave Size of 3 GB instead of the previous 1.8 GB.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline torben

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
Dear Paul and Stijn

Thanks for your advice. I will try that.
But do the two YEM versions have to be the same? My old PC has an old version of YEM and I wonder if I have to upgrade it first to YEM2.6?

Kind regards

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is only Genos1 !

Offline Stijn

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Hi Torben,

No need to upgrade it first.

Stijn

PdeMats

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 02:21:05 AM »
The problem to me is I don't have my 14yo PC running anymore, I am on a new HP laptop since December 2018, and haven't buy new packs since that time, so the intall file I have in my USB stick is the one created with YEM2.5 in the old PC.
Is there a way of converting the old pack install file? Or extract its content?
Thanks

Offline Joe H

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 02:35:27 AM »
Are you saying that the old PC is not working and all the pack files are on it and lost?  The only way to restore your packs is explained above.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

PdeMats

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »
If that's the only way, I'm in trouble.. and desperate... and don't know what to do...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 03:00:34 AM »
Can you pull the hard drive out of your old PC and connect it temporarily to your new laptop and retrieve the files?

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Stijn

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 08:44:46 AM »
PdeMats,

You can Log in to your account on yamahamusicsoft.com

Then in MY ACCOUNT you'll see the section My Library.

Open this section and you will be able to download all your purchased packs.

Or, as already mentioned, try to recover them from the hard disk of your old PC.

Stijn

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 11:38:54 AM »
Hi
 The best way from moving all from one computer to another is make a SYSTEM IMAGE FILE on your old computer and install on new computer
You can do this with Windows 10.
If old computer is Kaput  you have to start all over.
To get packs back , go to the Yamaha site and sign in and re- download your packs.
This is so simple and will save all the heartaches.
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 06:38:54 PM »
...  The best way from moving all from one computer to another is make a SYSTEM IMAGE FILE on your old computer and install on new computer...
I'm getting ready to do just that... clone my hard drives for both my MIDI machine and my everyday machine.  I also have spare complete machines in case a motherboard or other hardware goes out.

"An ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure"

;)

Joe H