Author Topic: I'm desperate  (Read 7153 times)

Offline elad770

I'm desperate
« on: November 17, 2019, 10:51:44 PM »
Please Help!

I can't make my Genos sound good when recording. With or without me singing it just not good quality
 I don't know if it's the equipment, EQ setting? Can you please share with me what equipment you connect it to? What is you EQ Setting?

Is the onboard recorder that bad?

All i want is to make my Genos sounds like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E16as0M_C7A

That's all. I don't know why it's so hard!

Can someone show me step by step, Including buying any equipment necessary - It's Black Friday! :)

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Re: I'm desperate
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 12:51:52 AM »
Elad, please describe your entire setup, including:

- Room characteristics
- Speakers
- Cabling
- EQ settings on the Master page of the Mixer tab
- What do you think is missing? Too little bass, muddy sound, dull high end?

That's a good start. The Genos sounds great when used with other quality gear. Talk to us. We'll get you the sound you want :).

- Lee
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »
When you recording audio, use volume of Monitor to 60-65 maximum. Don't increase it because it will distortion a lot. That's all I make when I recording on keyboard.
You can increase your Master volume, because is not bound to recording, only Monitor slider is !

I use EQ Gold!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

The following users thanked this post: Teknoss

Offline elad770

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 01:05:13 AM »
Thank you so much!

- Genos
- JBL 306 MKII
- Shure Sm-35
- I'm not sure which EQ TO use - Some say Gold, Some say other. I have no idea
- I think i got good cables but willing to buy different
- I'm in the basement. A very quiet environment. From the speakers everything sounds amazing

Also - why cables will be any factor. The sound from the speakers is beautiful, It is the recording outcome that is terrible and forgets about my own sound for a moment.
I just want the Genos to sound really good when it is played on other systems. Like my car, mp3 etc
It seems that others achieve this very easily

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 01:13:00 AM »
Elad - about cables. Poor cables or cables in disrepair are a serious detriment to your sound. I just discovered two audio cables in my collection that have intermittent connections! I thought one of my speakers was blown. The bass was poor as well. The sound was dull and one speaker was running at about 60% of the other. I swapped out the old cables for new and I can't believe the difference. When sound is poor, the first place you look is cables. Invest in good quality cables.

Also, in the video of that fellow playing his Genos that you posted, he uses a subwoofer.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline elad770

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 01:17:08 AM »
I understand!!!

Can you please tell me what are the best cables i can buy?

Also - why subwoofer will make any difference? I'm talking about recording internally!

Online chony

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 05:26:58 AM »
It could be so many different things. The cables are definitely not the problem. Proof: You said it sounds good when you play directly through them.

Is the problem you're having that when you play directly through the speakers it sounds good, but when you record to the onboard recorder and then play it back it doesn't sound good?

In any case you really haven't provided enough information. Not to mention that you obviously should have attached a recording. Many of us could tell you the problem immediately just by listening...

Offline valimaties

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
elad, I already told you:

When you record, put your Monitor slider on the screen thru 60-65 maximum. If you have that slider over 65, it will bring distortion. When you sing, those red indicators above the Monitor slider, will not have to stay continuously lightning, it must flash/flicker, at most! (sorry about translation, I hope you understand)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 07:33:47 AM »
In simple terms the audio recorder should reproduce the quality you hear when playing live provided you do not cause distortion by overloading the recording level, which is adjusted via the Monitor slider. So do not leave the monitor at 90, experiment with lower values watching for the red lines as Vali has recommended.
More "aggressive"  EQ settings will increase the tendency to overload (requiring lower Monitor settings).   

If you want to record and merge 2 tracks (your accomp. followed by voice) bear in mind to set the levels such that after merging the combined signal will not go into the distortion zone.
John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:29:14 AM by jwyvern »

Offline robinez

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 09:51:39 AM »
Thank you so much!

- Genos
- JBL 306 MKII
- Shure Sm-35
- I'm not sure which EQ TO use - Some say Gold, Some say other. I have no idea
- I think i got good cables but willing to buy different
- I'm in the basement. A very quiet environment. From the speakers everything sounds amazing

Also - why cables will be any factor. The sound from the speakers is beautiful, It is the recording outcome that is terrible and forgets about my own sound for a moment.
I just want the Genos to sound really good when it is played on other systems. Like my car, mp3 etc
It seems that others achieve this very easily

Good sounding records is a world on it's own. You need to have some basic mixing and mastering knowledge if you want to do these things yourself.

You don't give many details but my guess is that you record the output of the Genos in Cubase 10.5, probably with the EQ-Gold settings. In my opinion this is where the first mistake happens. Those settings may sounds nice on your speakers, but basically what you did with those EQ settings is raising the volume through EQ and distorted the audio spectrum and headroom of the complete signal you are recording in cubase. That will never sound good on different kind of listening devices, due to the destroyed headroom in your signal.

If you do the mixing and mastering yourself in cubase then record the genos output with the Flat EQ settings (although this keeps the 480 hz resonance peak) or use my EQ and compressor settings which modifies the genos output to a more open transparant output.

you can see those settings in my post at:
https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52172.0.html

Another very easy thing to do is to record your performance on the genos itself through audio quick recording, this avoids all the external cable problems you are mentioning. Here's a song which i recorded on the genos through audio quick recording with my EQ settings as mentioned in the thread above settings and put it directly under the video.

Yamaha genos: Angelfalls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iWoVSFT1Rg

If you like this sound, then just add the EQ and Compressor settings from my post in a user slot on your own genos and record the song with quick record, you will get the same sound as in the video.

Then some basic things you could check:
- Record with different EQ settings then the EQ Gold settings (those are really not suitable for recording, only for listening purposes).
- When recording in cubase, be sure that you record in Stereo, this has to be set up in the connection settings of cubase, because mono recordings will sound lifeless and you can face phasing issues when combining a stereo signal into mono.
- Use the correct gain in cubase when recording, it's much better to record with -1 db (or more)  headroom space to give you the breathing room for doing your mixing and mastering yourself (like maximizing, EQ-ing), etc
- When creating your sound for platforms like youtube , spotify, soundcloud, keep in mind that they will analyse your song and use their own algorithm to reprocess your sound. So never upload anything with a value higher than -1db (this value depends on the platform), also the maximum LUFS level is very important, when setting this to high your end result will sound very bad when the reprocessing is done. If you have no clue what things like maximizing, lufs and headroom are, then just record the song directly on the genos instead of recording it in cubase.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:47:58 AM by robinez »

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 12:58:20 PM »
It could be so many different things. The cables are definitely not the problem. Proof: You said it sounds good when you play directly through them.

Is the problem you're having that when you play directly through the speakers it sounds good, but when you record to the onboard recorder and then play it back it doesn't sound good?

In any case, you really haven't provided enough information. Not to mention that you obviously should have attached a recording. Many of us could tell you the problem immediately just by listening...
Chony, his sound may or not be the best he can achieve - live or otherwise. For the longest time, I thought my live sound was amazing until I discovered an intermittent issue with two of my patch cords. Now that I have replaced them, there is a world of difference.

We hear it all the time, "My Genos has started sounding wrong" or "I can't get the same sound as the next guy." Immediately, we start looking at poor EQ values, software bugs, registration issues. It all starts with the basics and there's nothing more delicate or basic in a system than the cables that connect hardware.

Elad, I have used mostly Planet Waves cables in the past, based on very positive customer reviews. Since buying and using their cables for the past 5 years, I have had a 40% failure rate - much to my surprise. I'm very careful when I handle my cables. The cables carry a lifetime warranty but I bought them online and it's too much of a hassle to do the exchange. I'm going back to Yorkville cables. I have four of them, about 15 years old. They are just as robust as the day I bought them!

Offline elad770

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »
Dear Robinez

I actually read the discussion and followed you EQ recommendation (with a minor tweak) - They Are much better than the Gold EQ Setting for both listening and recording
I think at this point that recording into a sound interface will be much superior. Could be what i hear is the maximum the Genos can internally record. I will make a recording and post it here. You can hear the quality yourself

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Elad, I was going to suggest that. Yes, please record a simple song and post it for all to hear. Several of us have pretty good studio gear. Perhaps we can give you some feedback on your recording - no pun intended :)!!

Offline elad770

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
Fantastic

Offline robinez

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 02:01:17 PM »
I think at this point that recording into a sound interface will be much superior.

that depends on the quality of your adda convertors in your soundcard. Which soundcard do you use?

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 03:05:59 PM »
As Vali has already said, your problem could be that the recording level on the internal audio recorder is set too high which will cause distortion.

Yamaha's default setting for this is 90, which I have always found to be too high on both my Tyros4, and now Genos when the part levels (as set in the Mixer) are typical.  Each time that you start a new recording the level will reset to the default value.

If you are not checking the recording monitor and adjusting it to avoid the signal going 'into the red', then you won't get a clean recording.  If you use an audio interface/DAW instead of the internal recorder, you would still need to set the recording level on these to avoid distortion!

Regards

Ian

Offline elad770

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
I think you are right and could be this was part of the issue.

I will make a recording sample and make sure the levels are not reaching the RED Zone!

I appreciate everyone's help. Please stay tuned. I will post ether today or tomorrow

Offline elad770

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »
Do you guys want me to upload the recording :

With or without compression?
EQ setting - Flat?

Level reduced from 90 to 70

Let me know.

I just want people with good ear to tell me: Elad! What i heard is the best you can achieve with internally recording! More than that you need post-production
which i already kind of understand that it will for sure give me better results but i must figure out the internal recorder first

Offline robinez

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
Do you guys want me to upload the recording :

With or without compression?
EQ setting - Flat?

Level reduced from 90 to 70

Let me know.

I just want people with good ear to tell me: Elad! What i heard is the best you can achieve with internally recording! More than that you need post-production
which i already kind of understand that it will for sure give me better results but i must figure out the internal recorder first
just create the recording with your own method, then we will listen to it and point you in the correct direction.
now we have no idea what you consider as bad audio quality, so this will make things much clearer for everyone here.

Offline elad770

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »
Ok, here it is

I will just post what i already made.

It's not in English , I'm  A terrible singer and made a lot of mistakes. I'm embarrassed so please don't laugh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvtq3xr23hikyks/58.wav?dl=0

Offline elad770

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2019, 04:03:24 PM »
I know you will, but again, Please ignore ALL the terrible aspects of this performance.

Only focus on sound quality. I guess in addition to your ears you also have abilities to map the sound in your software to see why it sounds not so great in other sound systems
like my computer speakers and car stereo system - which are both high quality

Offline Toril S

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
Elad! You sound fantastic! There is nothing wrong with this recording, and you have a great voice. You could add a tiny bit reverb to it, that is all! I now look forward to more from you!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »
The sound is good, what you need is a little bit more power. No reverb, because you don't need CD sound, it is good to sound more like a live playing, which does not implies reverb ;)
Personally, I wont use such a VH,  there are too many voices in backwards. A simple duet is enough :)

Did you used EQ Gold?

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline robinez

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2019, 06:07:03 PM »
Ok, here it is

I will just post what i already made.

It's not in English , I'm  A terrible singer and made a lot of mistakes. I'm embarrassed so please don't laugh

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvtq3xr23hikyks/58.wav?dl=0

That doesn't sound bad at all, it sounds rather good.

Things you could change in the post processing phase:
- is adding some dynamics to the drums, but if you record this in the genos with some compression on then you can achieve more or less the same.
- your voice is little bit to loud compared to the music (the volume should be slightly lower to blend more in the song)
- The main lead you play has to much low end, it would be better to use some EQ to make it blend more in the song.

But these are all minor details, what do you don't like on your the end result of your sound?

Offline panos

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »
It's like listen to greek bouzoukia.Is it a Chatzigiannis 90's song?

Nothing really wrong with the recording.

Just some things I have noticed:
Mid range and tremble range frequencies are too much
(mid range is your voice,treble range is this little thing we shake with our hands on the drum sound.I don't know how they call it).

Bass range too much in the really low frequency but lack of bass on the drum sound itself,
so it sounds more like a "real" drum if you like it this way(in other words way too dry).
The drum sound is too high(usual thing in this kind of music and is not even rock :))

No reverb at all with the voice,which I like it.

No compression at all.That's no bad although a limiter could be used(or at least lower the drum sounds)
The recording's volume is ok,not to high.

Just my opinion,I am not a pro ok?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 07:24:27 PM by panos »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 08:19:43 PM »
Personally I think the Master EQ settings will vary with the genre of music, the DPS effects type and depth, room acoustics and speakers/headphones... as well as personal tastes. Trying to find the perfect EQ and Compression settings is like chasing after the "elusive butterfly"

;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2019, 09:56:09 PM »
Elad, you sound good! Yes, I detected the odd error and late chord change but you haven't heard me play yet ;)!

The actual recording sounds pretty well as good as anything I have heard on YouTube, with rare exceptions. I can't add anything else to the wonderful help the others have provided. I do agree, however, with the overuse of the Vocal Harmonizer (VH). Perhaps sing the main parts with your own voice, and then apply the VH to the chorus parts. Doing so adds a sense of variety to the song.

I don't know your country of origin, but the song is very pleasing to listen to. As a Westerner (Canada) I don't get to hear much "other music" despite our huge diversity. Do us all a favor and keep working on your skills. I'm sure everyone who listened to the recording would agree that you have the required basics. Keep this recording too! In a few months of recording and listening to yourself, you'll be surprised at your progression. You have just taken a huge step, my friend :)!