Author Topic: Chord Looper Limits  (Read 7419 times)

Offline Floodie

Chord Looper Limits
« on: November 15, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »
Does anyone know how many chords may be added to each "memory slot" of a bank? 

Offline pjd

Re: Chord Looper Limits
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »
A Yamaha Chord Looper CLD file is a Type 0 Standard MIDI File. To take a quick look inside, rename the CLD file with the ".MID" file extension and then open the file in Mixmaster or Cubase. Not all DAWs support Yamaha XF events, so SONAR, for example, will not work. (SONAR ignores Yamaha XF Meta Events.)

The chord sequence is stored as a series of Yamaha XF Meta Events. See the Genos Data List PDF page 115 for the definition of the "Chord Name" event. See the definition of the System Exclusive "Chord Control" message for the chord root and type encoding.

Since the CLD file is an SMF, it should be possible to store as many chords as you want. Of course, there is probably some practical limit because internal memory is finite...

Hope this long-winded explanation helps -- pj

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:53:49 AM »
The chord looper feature looks to be a lot more powerful than I'd thought when I first heard about it. Being able to store 8 sets of chord sequences in a bank will let you effectively set up the backing  track for verse, chorus, bridge etc separately and assemble a song on the fly as the mood takes you, while freeing up the left hand for bends, live control, etc. I think it is very interesting.

Together with the extra 1.2GB expansion memory, this update seems to deliver a lot more than the last one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:55:48 AM by DerekA »
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Pauljones

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
Hi
has anyone else tried recording them in the old xg works sequencer?

Best wishes
Rikki
Korg PA5X 88 note
SX 900
Band in a Box 2022

Offline robinez

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 11:28:23 AM »
The chord looper feature looks to be a lot more powerful than I'd thought when I first heard about it. Being able to store 8 sets of chord sequences in a bank will let you effectively set up the backing  track for verse, chorus, bridge etc separately and assemble a song on the fly as the mood takes you, while freeing up the left hand for bends, live control, etc. I think it is very interesting.

Together with the extra 1.2GB expansion memory, this update seems to deliver a lot more than the last one.

exactly!

the chord sequencer is absolutely fantastic and can be stored into registrations also, which makes the chords sequences almost unlimited during performance.
i've set Assignment knobs E and F to record loop and play loop and set the chord looper screen to a tab on the main screen. It's absolutely perfect that way.

Offline Floodie

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »
I was thinking of making a repository of all common chord progressions. I could name them using the Nasville Number system, 1-4-5, 1-6-5-4, etc, all in the same key. Then all you have to do is import the appropriate progressions for any song into a bank, transpose to the applicable key,  and play. Does this make any sense at all?

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline jugge

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 10:04:57 PM »
Does the chord looper have a step edit function? Since we cannot use user styles in the normal step editor, this might be a workaround if it does.
Welcome to Yamaha Beats. Genos and MODX covers on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9yKCzqlOhkulwHFF6P-_Vw

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
Hi --

Yep, the Chord Looper can solve many practical problems.

Attached is a PDF with a list of the Chord Templates in the Yamaha QY100 sequencer/tone generator module. It has many common progressions.

Code away!

-- pj

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Floodie

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 12:37:18 AM »
I start looper on Registration 1, it stops looping if I change to Registration 2? I have to restart looper with every Registration change?

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 01:28:50 AM »
So, here's my first experiment -- Love Train by The O'Jays in C.

I created three CLD files -- one file each for the A section (Chorus), the B section (verse), and bridge. I created the files using Mixmaster, starting with a relatively empty SMF.

I imported the three files into Chord Looper. Genos ignored the time signature and key signature at the beginning of the SMF. I saved everything in a CLB Chord Looper Bank file (LoveTrainBank.clb).

Hey, all the pieces and parts are in the attached ZIP file. Select PhillyDisco, kick the tempo up to 120, load the Love Train bank and get back to the 70s.

This song lifts my spirits without fail -- pj     :)  :)  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline voodoo

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 04:44:29 PM »
I start looper on Registration 1, it stops looping if I change to Registration 2? I have to restart looper with every Registration change?

Good question.

Has anyone experimented with chord loops and registrations?
Is only the chord bank saved with the registration or also the active chord sequence?
So how many button presses do one need to activate a saved chord sequence after loading the registration?

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 04:52:46 PM »

Did you memorize the Chord Looper group in Reg2?

Re-memorize Reg2 ensuring the Chord Looper box is unchecked. That way, the reg will leave the loop alone.

Cheers,
Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »
Hi
From what i have experienced up to now is that you change registrations and keep chord looper page open.
Then press the next section on the looper or maybe asign to footpedal.
Have not got that far yet.
I would have liked the drum fills recorded as well in a sequence. Never mind, we will cope.

All the Best
John
 :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Floodie

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 06:14:07 PM »
Not sure if this is the only, or proper method, but, I can FREEZE chord looper and then it loops over the entire bank of the Registration.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 07:44:02 PM »
Good question.

Has anyone experimented with chord loops and registrations?
Is only the chord bank saved with the registration or also the active chord sequence?
So how many button presses do one need to activate a saved chord sequence after loading the registration?

Uli

So I found out the following. When saving Chord Looper to registry, it saves the following information

* it loads the chord looper bank
* it activates the chord loop (slot 1 to 8 )
* it saves the running status (chord looper playing on or off)

The last point is important: when you save the registry with chord looper running (or on/off button is blinking in synchro start mode), then after recalling the registry the chord loop will play.

So you can save all your song parts to registries, and they will play automatically by recalling them.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 07:59:36 PM »

Registry saves the running status. When you save the registration with chord looper play active, then they will play after recalling the registration.

I think this is perfect.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline pjd

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 06:20:56 PM »
Etienne posted a procedure for editing Chord Looper CLD files in another thread:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52968.0.html

Oh, and here are the chords for "Love Train":

A section: C | D7 | F | F/G
    B section: G | G | F | F | G | G | F | F | G | G | Am | Am | Dm7 | Dm7 | G G/F | G/E G/D
    Bridge: Eb EbMaj7 | Eb6 Eb | C C6 | CMaj7  C6 | Eb EbMaj7 | Eb6 Eb7 | Dm7/G | G7

-- pj