Author Topic: emc styleworks with Genos error help!!  (Read 82887 times)

Offline ugawoga

emc styleworks with Genos error help!!
« on: November 03, 2019, 10:49:34 PM »
Hi
Does any computer wizard on this forum knows what this is---

This is on latest update. 9.99
I get an error    INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263() when importing a midi file into Yamaha emc styleworks
Does anyone know what this means as i may have to go back to Klaus at Emc.

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:04:27 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: sefulretelei

Offline ugawoga

Re: emc styleworks with Genos error help!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »
hI
I have written to EMC now as i think that  something is  wrong with the program on these latest windows updates.

All the best
john
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Nickt5

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 11:51:02 AM »
Hi Ugawoga,

I use Styleworks with the GENOS config settings. I'll import a midi file and see if I get an error - maybe you could send me your midi file and i could try that one as well - assuming there are no copyright issues with you providing that file to me.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 11:53:16 PM »
Hi Nick

I got a reply from Laus of EMC and he said the problem is with Windows 10.
He gave me a workaround using Winamp.
For a £200 program i am flabbergasted at this .
You know as well as i know that Winamp would only produce a kids toy sound from midi.
EMC Yamaha XT  used to trigger the genos sound and that allows you to get some realism.
He did not say to me that this will be fixed and to me that is not good enough.
I want Styleworks to trigger the Genos ,not Winamp or windows 10 media player.
Also the program is slow to respond giving you a blue circle for about 10seconds before action
I have an I7 multicore machine that works superfast with Cubase and other programs

When I go to the edit on  the details screen to plus or minus the transpose nothing works in Neutral as it should.

I should be able to ue Workstation 1 in the midi properties , but that invalid error keeps popping up.
So the way Klaus has instructed me it does not matter if you use Tyos 1234 or Genos as all would go through winamp.
TOTAL FRUSTRATION!!!

I just feel that i have been ripped off.
Why Klaus never gave me any confidence in saying we will fix this i do not know

Well that is it for now

All the best
John :) just a little annoyed.

The following users thanked this post: TheBitfiddler

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 12:34:07 AM »
Hi John,

please make sure that you really have installed the current Version of Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver. For Windows 10 (64-bit) it is V3.1.4 (64-bit). (The name of the downloaded zip file is "um3141x64.zip"):

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/umd_win64_kbd.html

If you are in doubt, I recommend to simply re-install this driver once more. (Connect the Genos to the PC via a USB cable, BEFORE starting the driver installation!)

You could also just try using an external "USB to DIN-MIDI" interface. This should work in any case. (Connect the MIDI OUT of the Interface to the DIN-MIDI A IN of the Genos, so that it works the same as when using the "Digital Workstation 1" port of the USB-MIDI driver.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 12:38:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 01:09:54 AM »
Hi Chris
I will give that a shot and come back  later.
The Yamaha driver is working ok driver  and Mike Bedeseems mixmaster plays the midi file in question 100% from Genos sounds
In the EMC Styleworks i open midi  config and i cannot get workstation 1 to show  and  i have Genos checked in the start box .
The set up is right , but just with the Yamaha driver installe it should d show up like it does in Mixmaster and that's a free program which makes me annoyed.
Midi works ok in Cubase and i also have the Cubase CC121 controller which needs the Yamaha driver..
Something is definely wrong in EMC XT Styleworks
If i open up my focusrite 6i6  and go through that ,Workstation 1 shows up in the midi config.
I choose Workstation 1 and when i play the midi file  i get that error            INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263()
I ran the compatibility wizard and that cannot solve the problem.

All i can think is that win 10 update has messed the EMC program up with updates.

All the Best

All the Best
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:26:38 AM by ugawoga »

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:15 AM »
... This is on latest update. 9.99
I get an error    INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263() when importing a midi file into Yamaha emc styleworks
Does anyone know what this means as i may have to go back to Klaus at Emc. ...

If this error is only reported when the Genos actually is NOT connected via USB-MIDI to the PC, I recommend the following:

• In Windows Explorer open the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\<Style Works folder>\System",

• then double-click the file "PLWMidiMap.cpl" that should be in that folder "System").

• This should open a "MIDI Mapper" window. Make sure that the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" is set as "Standard Device" there (because this is the only MIDI Device that is ALWAYS available).

• Close that "MIDI Mapper", connect the Genos via USB-MIDI to the PC, then start "Style Works" program, go to "Configuration ---> MIDI Settings" and select "Digital Workstation 1" there at "Midi Output for Playback"

I hope my ideas are useful for you!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 01:47:22 AM »
Hi Chris
I have done what you have said
I have a little experiment with PLW midi map folder and it had Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in there and that could not be changed
It did have workstation 1 and 2 in the drop down and i tried workstation 1 and applied that ,but when reopening it still reverted back to the Microsoft Wave table synth.
So that is what it has to be.
When i go back to Styleworks and midi confguration  workstation 1 does not show up.
I do not want winamp as Klaus suggested from EMC , i want the Genos sound.
I do not know what is going on with this program and i am stumped at the moment.
Al other things on my computer running midi with Genos no problem . It is just Styleworks.
When i select Genos in the program all the midi properties should show like they do in other programs and then select.
I tested it also on Midiworks Yamaha and it ran without a problem and played the midi file using the Genos
I find Midiworks so difficult to make a Style.
EMC Styleworks was so simple up to now.
I will speak to you later as i have to get to bed as it is nearly 2am here in UK.

All the best

Offline Joe H

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 02:31:03 AM »
John,

Every time I emailed Klaus, I get an unacceptable answer from him.  I think his programs are a bit over priced anyway.  Not a good way to do business.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 02:43:28 AM »
Hi Joe
Just going to bed now  02:35 Yawn!!!
I am getting fed up with EMC and now i have uninstalled the program until something positive comes back  and yes overpriced is not the word.
I purchased it a few years ago and it was always buggy.
But now there are so many style combinations you can get from what is around and shuffle them up to get a result.
When i first had the program it worked pretty good and all you had to do is find the length of each part and do a little transposing to get to C and convert.
I do like Midi soft, but making a style inthere is tough. I got about three quarters there and gave up. Also that pino roll is not brilliant.
See yer later M8

All the Best

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
John, pay a 50 Euros for Style Magic YA, and you got all you need ;)
I did not liked EMC Style Works ever. Yes, indeed, it helped me some years ago (15, I guess ???) but right now there are dedicates software like StyleMagicYA, MixMaster and so on, that are free or with a very small amount of money license and bugless ;) .

Best regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 11:46:57 AM »
Hi Val
I do have Midisoft Midiworks
With Midiworks i got far as where you move the values up and down and put things into line so as to get to c  for a style and that is where i got stuck.
I will slowly go through the process again and have another go as EMC is totally gone off the rails.
IT does take a lot of time in Midiworks to get the end result for a style from midi.
I do have trouble in understanding the accent of Midiworks creator when i look at the video. Very broken English. But that is understandable as he is not from the UK.
He always says sexy instead of section. That is what it sounds like to me LOL!! ;D

All the best
John

Offline marcodg

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
I must say i am very disappointed too of this program. I bought it for few Months and i realy regret this purchase decision. 350 $ are  many money and for this alone the support must be consequent. The update could be permanently.
Sorry to ear that many of us has the same problem. I don't use it anymore. I use other program to create my style to midi and this program are all free
Yamaha Genos, Korg pa4x,  Korg EC5, Yamaha FC7, Yamaha FC4A,, Yamaha L-515 B, Sennheiser E845, Behringer Eurolive B208, JBL EON ONE, Yamaha GNS-01

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 08:54:43 PM »
Hi Marcodg

Would it be possible for you to tell me what this free program is and where to download .
I would appreciate that to have a try.
I tried to Get Jorgens Mid2Style going , but that has a Java problem and nothing works on the GUI
I wrote to him and waiting to hear what he says. This is also a free progra and  donation if you so wish.
I find Midisoft to style is too long winded and confusing.
I do think that Windows 10 updates are going faster than the programmers. :o

I have had Klaus come back to me with the Winamp and midi mapper workaround  but no answer on how he will update to run in line with Windows 10.
Winamp froze on me and you have to do a few other things .
I have now also given up  .
For a £200 program this man should give us first class treatment
Klaus is a programmer and i think that Styleworks is his hobby away fom him being a  commercial computer programmer, so his time is limited.
The customer comes first though!!
Well we are at a deadend with this until Klaus comes up with a magic bullet.

All the Best
John :) :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:59:53 PM by ugawoga »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 09:14:51 PM »
John, when you got money for something, you are (at least is what I believe) bond to your clients needs. And the principal need of a client is the software to WORK. If something crucial in that soft is damaging the work process for that user (or a lot of users), sorry but you are failed as a programmer. I don't care how much time he spend for programming this software, if spend a day, a week, a year, so one. If is paid (and it is a lot of money for a license, IMO) so do your job and repair your bugs.
As I said, I did not use anymore this soft for years, but I see on you guys how disappointed you are, so I'm a little bit furious  >:(

MixMaster is a free software. I don't know how many of you have had donate to those programmers for using such a great software, but you pay a lot of money for a buggy software ... It's sad, really :(

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2019, 09:38:39 PM »
Hi Val

We all have to live and learn and we get stung sometimes  OOOch!! ;D
That's life !! :P :-[ :)
I have to say that Mixmaster is a great program and all praise to Mike Bedeseem

All the Best

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:39:50 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2019, 10:37:44 PM »
Excuse me, can someone explain to me what is mixmaster please? Can I use it for convert XF midi files to styles?

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2019, 11:05:07 PM »
Excuse me, can someone explain to me what is mixmaster please? Can I use it for convert XF midi files to styles?

Hi Rodrigo,

MixMaster is a free PC (Windows) program. You can edit MIDI files, Yamaha Styles, User Voice files and Multi Pad files with MixMaster:

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

You can NOT "simply convert" MIDI files to Styles, but MixMaster can help you with that. You probably will need also some other tools, depending what exactly you want to do  ...

Best regards,
Chris

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 12:57:43 AM »
Hi Rodrigo,

MixMaster is a free PC (Windows) program. You can edit MIDI files, Yamaha Styles, User Voice files and Multi Pad files with MixMaster:

https://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

You can NOT "simply convert" MIDI files to Styles, but MixMaster can help you with that. You probably will need also some other tools, depending what exactly you want to do  ...

Best regards,
Chris

Thank you! I will check this program, I think I already have it on my computer

Offline overover

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 01:02:56 AM »
Thank you! I will check this program, I think I already have it on my computer

Hi Rodrigo,

thanks for your quick feedback!

P.S.
Please make sure to have installed the latest version (V19r1) of MixMaster. If you have installed a previous version, you have to de-install it first (in Windows Control Panel) before installing the new version.

P.P.S.
A great advantage of MixMaster is that you can open / edit Style files and then newly SAVE them WITHOUT destroying the CASM data of the Style.

When importing a Style file to a standard DAW / MIDI Sequencer, you have to use a tool like "Style Split and Splice" first, to temporarily save the CASM data of the Style to an additional "Non MIDI" file (and add those data to the edited MIDI file again, coming from the DAW).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 01:18:29 AM by overover »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 05:57:22 AM »
Hi

Style Split and Splice software:
http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/sands/index.htm

Regards
Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline marcodg

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 08:50:14 AM »
Hi Marcodg

Would it be possible for you to tell me what this free program is and where to download .
I would appreciate that to have a try.
I tried to Get Jorgens Mid2Style going , but that has a Java problem and nothing works on the GUI
I wrote to him and waiting to hear what he says. This is also a free progra and  donation if you so wish.
I find Midisoft to style is too long winded and confusing.
I do think that Windows 10 updates are going faster than the programmers. :o

I have had Klaus come back to me with the Winamp and midi mapper workaround  but no answer on how he will update to run in line with Windows 10.
Winamp froze on me and you have to do a few other things .
I have now also given up  .
For a £200 program this man should give us first class treatment
Klaus is a programmer and i think that Styleworks is his hobby away fom him being a  commercial computer programmer, so his time is limited.
The customer comes first though!!
Well we are at a deadend with this until Klaus comes up with a magic bullet.

All the Best
John :) :P

Hi John
I use midi2style to Jorgensen to convert midi style and it work great with me. It's make same job as style work or so better and interface is better to. The only problem i could have with this software is that you must place marker manually and it cost more time to convert but you have at the end exactly what you wanted.
The bat conversion on EMC style work don't work always. You have to do each style and it is really anoying when you cannot use a feature of a software that you paid on high cost.
I use style magic to for assembly or pad making for styles. I use mike Bedeesem SW too.
Try to ask Jorgen what to do with midi2style because by me i could start it without any matter.
Regards
Yamaha Genos, Korg pa4x,  Korg EC5, Yamaha FC7, Yamaha FC4A,, Yamaha L-515 B, Sennheiser E845, Behringer Eurolive B208, JBL EON ONE, Yamaha GNS-01

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 09:22:21 AM »

Did you have install JRE (Java Runtime Environment) ?

Right click on jar file  (C:\Program Files (x86)\midi2style\Midi2Style.jar) and make sure that it is opening with Java(TM) Platform . Sometimes, installing WinRAR, will change default program for jar files, from Java to Winrar, so if you double click a jar file it will opening as an archive.

If it is other problem, please tell us what happening when you trying to launch the application.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 09:37:28 AM »
... I tried to Get Jorgens Mid2Style going , but that has a Java problem and nothing works on the GUI
I wrote to him and waiting to hear what he says.

Hi John,

I'm on Windows 10 (64-bit), too. I have installed the current Java Runtime Environment (JRE) V1.8.0_231 (64-bit). With this Java version, ALL programs from Jørgen are working well.

I recommend to download this Java version here:

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

• Click on the link "Windows Offline (64-bit)" there and download the file "jre-8u231-windows-x64.exe" to your PC.

• Double-click the downloaded file and follow the instructions.

• The installation routine automatically looks for OLD Java versions. If an old version is found, simply confirm to DEINSTALL it.

• Start a jososoft program that is based on Java, for example "Midi2Style".

• If a message is displayed, that the file "javaw.exe" could not be found, you have to manually "show" that file to the program once:

The path to that file is "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_231\bin\"

Be sure to use "javaw.exe" (NOT "java.exe")!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 09:54:22 AM by overover »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 12:37:57 PM »
Thanks Chris

Just my words... I could not explain this matter better...  ;)

Regards
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi Chris  and thanks for replying.

I have followed your instructions and put the Java version you said in
It loads up automatically  and does not ask me where i want the file to be.
Midi2 Style pops up but i get this exception again.
I cannot access anything on th gui.

I emailed Jorgen , but no reply as yet.
I do not know what is wrong.
I am running an i7 multicore computer and Windows 10 latest update.

All the Best

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:43:38 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 12:42:42 PM »
Hi

Some initializing settings might be corrupted - or left over from a previous installation.
Just remove the initializing file: In a normal installation: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\jososoft\midi2style.ini
The program will automatically create a new initializing file.

Jørgen

- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 01:10:39 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have tried this and yes midi2 style made another file  but still get the same exception.
I do not know what is going on as i am not computer minded with the ins and outs of a program.

This is what is in exception file-------- This is chinese to me lol.
All the best

05.11.2019-12:21:24: Ver. 6.13 - java.io.FileInputStream - <init> - -1 - java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\John Sammons\Application Data\jososoft\midi2style.ini (The system cannot find the file specified)
05.11.2019-12:21:25: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:21:26: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:21:26: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:21:48: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:21:48: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:21:48: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:23:18: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:23:19: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:23:19: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:24:15: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:24:16: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:24:16: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:27:23: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:27:24: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:27:24: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:30:19: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:30:20: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:30:20: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-12:35:19: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:35:20: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-12:35:20: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-14:18:40: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-14:18:41: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-14:18:41: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-20:04:51: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-20:04:52: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-20:04:52: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
05.11.2019-20:05:00: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-20:05:01: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
05.11.2019-20:05:01: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:16:00: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:16:01: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:16:01: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:20:58: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:20:59: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:20:59: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:21:13: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:21:13: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:21:13: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:22:33: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:22:34: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:22:34: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:22:47: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:22:48: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:22:48: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException
06.11.2019-12:50:14: Ver. 6.13 - java.io.FileInputStream - <init> - -1 - java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\John Sammons\Application Data\jososoft\midi2style.ini (The system cannot find the file specified)
06.11.2019-12:50:15: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:50:16: Ver. 6.13 - com.sun.media.sound.AbstractMidiDevice - doOpen - -1 - javax.sound.midi.MidiUnavailableException: Undefined external error.
06.11.2019-12:50:16: Ver. 6.13 - M2S$TopFrame - <init> - 15740 - java.lang.NullPointerException

Offline valimaties

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 01:15:26 PM »
Hmmm.. The software does not find the file midi2style.ini ...
It's strange that it looks for it in that folder.
Mine installation has created those files in "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\jososoft"

Check if you have that files there...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
Hi Val

I have had a look and this is what i get
I looked inside that ini file and it goes through the copyright and then says program loading,
then a string of nulls, probably trying it's best to load the progam .
program cannot load because the exception screen  keeps appearing
The gui is frozen like a picture,no buttons or anything works.
I must have a gremlin in the machine!! ;D

Alltthe best
john :)

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:20:51 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 05:26:01 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have tried this and yes midi2 style made another file  but still get the same exception.
I do not know what is going on as i am not computer minded with the ins and outs of a program.

This is what is in exception file-------- This is chinese to me lol.
All the best
SNIP

Hi
You are not supposed to open the "ini" file in the program.
Use Windows Explorer to find it and delete it
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 05:26:59 PM »
Hmmm.. The software does not find the file midi2style.ini ...
It's strange that it looks for it in that folder.
Mine installation has created those files in "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\jososoft"

Check if you have that files there...

Hi
You are not supposed to open the "ini" file in the program.
Use Windows Explorer to find it and delete it
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2019, 05:29:33 PM »
Hi Val

I have had a look and this is what i get
I looked inside that ini file and it goes through the copyright and then says program loading,
then a string of nulls, probably trying it's best to load the progam .
program cannot load because the exception screen  keeps appearing
The gui is frozen like a picture,no buttons or anything works.
I must have a gremlin in the machine!! ;D

Alltthe best
john :)

Hi
Try to delete the first file.
Jørgen

PS: To my opinion set Windows Explorer to show file extensions...
- since 1999

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
Hi

Have you checked the Java Version... ? Details at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/software_5.htm

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2019, 05:51:31 PM »
Hi Jorgen

I have got the Latest Java 64 bit version which is correct

Has Firefox go anything to do with it as i read it does not support Java somewhere
I do not know how or why browsers have anything to do with this though.
I am getting confused with all of this.
I thought that loading up the correct Java file and Midi2 soft would have done the trick.
I have done all that you have said and deleted the ini file  and it does reappear next time around.
One one occasion i just double clicked to see what this ini file was and information came about  being null.
I need a proper walkthrough for this as i am going in circles.

All the Best
John

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2019, 06:11:23 PM »
SNIP
Has Firefox go anything to do with it as i read it does not support Java somewhere
I do not know how or why browsers have anything to do with this though.
SNIP
One one occasion i just double clicked to see what this ini file was and information came about  being null.
SNIP

Hi
Browsers has NOTHING to do with my programs, right!
Can you mail the ini file to me as an attachment ... you have my mail address in the mails I have sent you
Strange if it says "null"...

Regards
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline valimaties

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2019, 06:26:21 PM »
Hi Jorgen.

From Windows 7 to 10, the Application Data folder cannot be opened even if you are PC administrator... Maybe it's about AppData folder, which is other thing ;) Or maybe is a settings I don't know?!  ::) ???

Everything you create "hard coded" in Application Data folder, you will see it will find from Windows 7 till now in AppData\Roaming folder.
Application Data was made in Windows Vista (worst Windows ever), and later was changed to AppData .
This is what I know...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:31:31 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2019, 06:35:42 PM »
Hi

You will find the midi2style.ini file in this folder: "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\jososoft"

NOT in "C:\Users\<UserName>\Application Data\Roaming\jososoft"

Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2019, 07:44:00 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have just sent the files to you.  ini file plus the other two logs.

I have no emails from you  at the moment, , but sent email to Josoft@

All the Best

« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 08:09:31 PM by ugawoga »

Offline valimaties

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2019, 08:23:40 PM »
Hi

You will find the midi2style.ini file in this folder: "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\jososoft"

NOT in "C:\Users\<UserName>\Application Data\Roaming\jososoft"

Jørgen

I know Jorgen,

only the error is a little bit confusing...

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\John Sammons\Application Data\jososoft\midi2style.ini
I don't know why java search for that path  ???

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:14 PM »
Hi

The files looks fine.

The original error message tells the error occurs at line 15740 in the code - check image attached.
At that code line a setup initializing method is called.
This method does basically two things:
1. sets the UI language using values from the midi2style.ini file - line 9 in your file reads: 0 - and this is English. Check = Fine!
2. sets MIDI device...

The error is a "NullPointerException" which means that the program calls for something which is not existing...
Now my question is: Which MIDI devices are installed and active at your computer? If any... :-\

MIDI setup in Windows 7, 8 and 10 is not existing.
Remedy is to install a MIDI setup software.
For details - and links to software - please read http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/articles/software_2.htm

It is a bit strange that below the heading [MIDI device] in the ini file is blank line - which means nothing...
Therefore try one of the MIDI setup programs mentioned at the web page above; and select a MIDI device in this program...
Might do the trick...

I am somewhat confused about this problem...  :-\

Jørgen

- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2019, 09:02:29 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have downloaded your midi selector and it said Workstation 1 which is normaly correct for  Genos midi
The Genos is the only midi device on .

Looks like a dead end at the moment.
Hopefully something can be done.
I appreciate all of your help Jorgen trying to help.

Ps I have tried all ways to get Midi2Style up and running . Uninstalled about three times and reinstalled , but this exception Comes up every time in Midi to Style.
When installing Java  64bit version it says after test Successful. I am stumped here

All the best
John
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:17:31 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2019, 03:05:54 AM »
Hi

My subconscious does not relax while sleeping - the time here is 04:05

When my keyboard is power OFF I have the windows default MIDI device "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" only - first image
When my keyboard is power ON I have more MIDI devices - second image

If you do not have "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" and your keyboard is power OFF, you will have no MIDI devices.
The the midi2style program will then demand a non-existing device... which results in a NullPointerException...

Well, maybe just a wild guess from a tired brain. Back to sleep...
Jørgen

- since 1999

Offline overover

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2019, 03:45:28 AM »
... When my keyboard is power OFF I have the windows default MIDI device "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" only - first image
When my keyboard is power ON I have more MIDI devices - second image

If you do not have "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" and your keyboard is power OFF, you will have no MIDI devices.
The midi2style program will then demand a non-existing device... which results in a NullPointerException...

Hi Jørgen,

this is exactly what I was thinking when I recommended John in Reply #6 to first set up the "Microsoft GS Wavtable Synth" as the Standard MIDI device with the "Putzlowitsch" MIDI Mapper (that is included in "Style Works"):

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52438.msg410154.html#msg410154

Style Works generates an error Message like "INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263()". Maybe it is basically the same error (in John's Windows System) that also prevents "Midi2Style" from working properly ...

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:46:35 AM by overover »

Offline overover

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:49 AM »
Hi John,

if the MIDI problems persist, I recommend to do the following:

Download, install (let make a Desktop Icon during installation!) and finally run this free "MIDI Cleaner" program (I have used this tool successfully on my PCs several times in the past"):

https://www.voiceliveeditor.com/download-midi-cleaner

• Click "Re-Create UpperFilter" button in the "Midi and Audio Cleaner" window.

• Be sure "Midi Devices" is displayed above the list box. Otherwise click on the blue "MIDI" button.

• If you have multiple instances of the same MIDI driver listed, remove the DUPLICATES. (Tick the particular check box(es), click "Clean from Registry" button, BUT leave ONE instance of the MIDI Driver in the list.)

• Close the program window.

Restart Windows and check if Style Works and Midi2Style work properly now.

• If NOT, I recommend to completely DEINSTALL ALL installed MIDI Drivers (for example the "Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver") by using the Windows Control Panel and to restart Windows.

• Then run "Midi and Audio Cleaner" once more. If there are still MIDI drivers listed, remove them ALL (in the same way as mentioned before).

• Click "Re-Create UpperFilter" once more, close the program and restart Windows.

• Install the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver again and test Style Works and Midi2Style again.

Note: IF the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" should be NOT listed when you open a "MIDI Mapper" program, I recommend to go to the Windows Device Manager and DEINSTALL the Sound Driver of your internal Sound Card there (like "High Definition Audio Device). Then restart Windows. (The Driver should be automatically re-installed, AND the "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" should be available again, then.) :)

Hope this helps!

Note: All these hints are without warranty! I can not guarantee that it works in your case as described, of course.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 10:07:51 AM by overover »

Offline Jørgen

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 07:01:13 AM »

Hi Jørgen,

this is exactly what I was thinking when I recommended John in Reply #6 to first set up the "Microsoft GS Wavtable Synth" as the Standard MIDI device with the "Putzlowitsch" MIDI Mapper (that is included in "Style Works"):

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,52438.msg410154.html#msg410154

Style Works generates an error Message like "INVALID_DEVICE_NAME 263()". Maybe it is basically the same error (in John's Windows System) that also prevents "Midi2Style" from working properly ...

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris

Yes, I think Johns problem is, that a default MIDI device is not present, hence the NullPinterException in my program...
Well, never met a windows computer without a default MIDI device before...

Hope, we are right...  ;)
Jørgen
- since 1999

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Hi Jorgen

I have got in a total pickle here and firefox has gone awol and will not shut down as a prompt box keeps returning.
I tried explorer and that now disappears. The screen flickered when i done something and that is when Firefox would not shut down no matter what , so what has gone wrong .
I have only installed , uninstalled java and your program
Even things are not what they should be doing in the search bar.
I am so fed up that i am now re imaging my drive .
I am lucky as i only done it 10 days ago so not too much to update.
Just hope the re-image now works.
It is going good up to now. Just reimaging C drive
I looked in the registry and Java is in the Mozilla folder  in software Hkey local machine, so there is a connection .
I not and expert here buti usually clean the registry if i get rid of something for a clean install and i am carefull.
I will have another go when up and running again.
Might take a few hours

Surely the midi 2 Style program has to fully open first to put in the midi devices like other programs.
For example in Mike Bedeseem's  Mixmaster you put in Genos then workstation 1 as it finds it.

I do not know whether this is the same for a Java program

All the best
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:52:23 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2019, 01:27:37 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have now re-imaged my C drive and all is well again
Just a few updates to make
Phew !! That was a sweat as it is the first time i have done this with Microsoft image.
I could not believe how fast it was.
Something with Java and fiddling about made things worse for me
Why computers are not straightforward I do not know!! :P

I have done it Jorgen.   SOLVED!!!!!!
After re-imaging my drive with all that hassle before it was the best thing i did.
I updated all my programs and sat thinking for about half an hour and said to myself , Oh well, shall I have another go.
So, i put java in again and the Java program found an older version somehow and warned me that it could do all sorts of horrrrible things like probably i experienced.
So i followed the instructions and let Java unload the older version which i thought was gone.
I then put your program  Midi 2Style in and bingo the program tells me it is ready and all buttons now work.
Got to the set up and it is all go .
Now to figure out the program and hope i can get a result..
Thanks for everyones time here especially Jorgen and Chris :). If i did not re-image, i would have never found out.
Everything was crumbling!!. Firefox gave up and all sorts started to manifest. :-[
EMC Styleworks Is flawed and I have not had anything positive from Klaus.I have uninstalled that program .

All the best
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:08:23 PM by ugawoga »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
Hi Jorgen
I have been looking at the help files and just wondering after loading in a midi file and selecting  parts and deciding what i want and  all the things in the diferrent windows,
Is there not any transposing up and down to get the midi file to C.
Or, is it an automatic conversion once all is in place.
I might be jumping the gun here, but i will get down to studying the program in detail.
I am a slow learner in these things ,but when i get the hang of something it stays there hopefully.

All the best
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 04:55:31 PM by ugawoga »

gerarde

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2019, 10:09:00 PM »
Hi John,
I don't know if this will help this is what I do.
I play the midi file on Genos to find out what key it is in.
Then I open an old version of Band In The Box that I have and transpose it up or down to C.
Then I save the midi file with the changed key.

Gerard