Author Topic: Best way to connect two microphones to Genos  (Read 22358 times)

Offline anandmaloo

Best way to connect two microphones to Genos
« on: November 01, 2019, 06:43:14 AM »
Hi,

In my home setup - I have a singing partner and we sing together - While i use my genos-connected microphone, he uses a one connected to my behringer mixer. That gives a little bit of difference in tonality of our voices.

How can I connect both my microphones to Genos.

Regards

Anand

Offline Robert van Weersch

Re: Best way to connect two microphones to Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
Why not connect both mics to the mixer?
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply.

I can connect both the mikes to mixer for sure but then I prefer Genos output because of being able to change the reverb, echo, DSP's etc on the fly (through registrations) which would not be possible in the mixer

Regards

Anand

beykock

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
Is there not a mic mixer with different inputs and one output available or ... a preamp ? Plse check the internet.

Babette
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 10:42:02 AM by beykock »

Online EileenL

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »
I don't think it is possible to connect two Mic's to the keyboard. I have never heard of anyone doing this.

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
Anand, the only way I think this can be done is to prerecord your partner's audio through the Genos with the various registration changes and then play it back while you sing your parts live. The only problem is, it takes all the fun out of singing together :). It is a partial solution though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 12:42:42 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Online ckobu

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:13:31 PM »
@anandmaloo - which Behringer model you use?
Watch my video channel

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
Hi,

Thanks to all for your replies.

I have a Behringer 1202FX which has multiple inputs and a decent sound too, but as I said earlier, I am not able to change the mic settings on a fly on the mixer, as I can do with my registrations on Genos

The solution which I can foresee now is that I get a dual cordless microphone system. This has only one corded output and that would be the input to Genos.  So basically then all microphone settings of Genos should theoretically be exactly similar for both the cordless mics.

I have not tried this, but I think it should work.  Please confirm, because I have to buy one :)

Regards

Anand

Osvaldo De Souza

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 01:49:35 PM »
Perhaps you can trying using the " Y XLR Cable " i.e. it has one MALE XLR to connect to your GENOS and two FEMALE XLR to connect to two Microphones.

I use this cable for my MERISH 5 MIDI & MP3 player if I need to use 3 mircophones or connect my Guitar via DI BOX

The cable costs under CDN $ 15.00

Regards
Oz

Offline jerryghr

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 12:19:59 AM »
A 2 channel cordless mic system works .  That is what I use.

Plugs right into the back of the keyboard, so you can use all the keyboard settings (Reverb, VocaL harmony etc.)

Just pick one that is in your price range.

Regards,

Jerry

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:23:49 AM by jerryghr »

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »
Thanks Osvaldo and Jerry for your replies.

Thanks Jerry for confirming that the dual cordless system would work.  Would also check the Y XLR cable though, if its available in India

Regards

Anand

Offline jerryghr

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 07:59:56 PM »
There is a line out connection on the back of the unit.  I use the following cable which sends both mics to the keyboard.

Don't need the xlr connectors.

Offline rbackes

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi Amand,

you could use a simple trick: Connect your microphones to the mixer, then send the mikes to the control room out. Connect the control room out to the Mic in of the Genos - and you're done.
You only need to take care not building any feedback loops, that may cause damage to your ears or your hardware.

Onother way for doing this would be to put the Genos in the effects loop of the mixer using the aux-outs to return the mike signal.

Try it, the only thing you need are some cables...

Rainer

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »
I don't quite understand why you can't just use the mixer(?) Connect both mics to the mixer inputs, set the the EQ's of each channel to zero so it does not affect the audio, and adjust each channel fader for each persons singing volume. Use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable to connect the Main Out of the mixer to the combo jack of the Genos. The mixer output is 'balanced', as is the 1/4" input of the Genos 'balanced', so a 1/4" TRS cable would be the best way to connect minimize noise. If you don't have access to a TRS type cable, a TS cable can work also.
TRS cable - Tip, Ring, Sleeve
TS - Tip, Sleeve

Do not use a 'y' cable to connect the mics. A 'Y' cable can affect the impedance and frequency response of the mic. It is not a proper way to do it.

This device is a MIC Combiner/Splitter and can combine the outputs of two mics without affecting impedance or frequency response. There are other similar ones at different prices, different qualities.
https://www.amazon.com/ART-SPLITComPro-Microphone-Splitter-Combiner/dp/B001HTRKHO?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

Online ckobu

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
You can use your mixer to connect two microphones by using Genos settings. I have drawn a diagram that shows you how to connect cables.
Green = XLR to TRS
Blue and Red = TS to TS

Connect microphones to 1 and 2 inputs of XENYX.
On XENYX be sure to reduce (go completely left) FX to MAIN and FX on 5/6 and 7/8 channels (red circle). You shouldn't change that anymore.

Set GAIN to microphones on XENYX as you normally would. The microphone volumes (green) 1 and 2 are completely reduced, and now with the FX potentiometer (yellow) you adjust their volume. You amplify both microphones on Channel 7/8 and the keyboard on 5/6. (Labeled)

Set LINE OUT on the Genos as shown on picture (Line out setting). Thus, the microphone signal will be forwarded to SUB 1 and 2. You adjust the volume and gain of the microphone on Genos as if you had one microphone. You adjust the volume and gain of the microphone on Genos as if you had one microphone. You have to be careful that the gain of the microphone does not constantly burn red (red arrow).

If you put everything together and do as I described, you will have what you want. Both microphones will have all the settings you saved in Registration.

It is advisable to turn off the instruments when connecting the cables and make sure to lower the FX potentiometers to the XENYX (red circle). Phantom Power (+ 48V) must be set to OFF at the Genos microphone input.

Best regards, ckobu

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 09:07:43 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »
@ckobu
Set GAIN to microphones on XENYX as you normally would. The microphone volumes (green) 1 and 2 are completely reduced, and now with the FX potentiometer (yellow) you adjust their volume. You amplify both microphones on Channel 7/8 and the keyboard on 5/6. (Labeled)

Setting the channel 1 & 2 level controls at zero (completely reduced) will not work and very little is gained going through the FX bus, as the mics still need to go through the same path which includes the EQ section. The FX sends are post the level controls, so the level controls need to be 'up' to get signal through to the FX level controls. While your method may work, it adds more cables and complexity to something which is very basic and simple.

Online ckobu

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 11:12:06 PM »
@ MarkF_48 - you're right, FX sends out the post controls, but the author of the topic @anandmaloo wants to use all the Genos settings. Two more or less cables  ;)

I can connect both the mikes to mixer for sure but then I prefer Genos output because of being able to change the reverb, echo, DSP's etc on the fly (through registrations) which would not be possible in the mixer

He can do the following as well. Let Mic Volume down completely on Genos (pink) and then he can use volume 1 and 2 (green) on XENYX. In this case, only DSPs and VH2s from Genos will come to channels 7/8.
If MIC Volume is stored in registrations then this is not a good solution.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:27:17 PM by ckobu »
Watch my video channel

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 11:46:33 PM »
@ MarkF_48 - you're right, FX sends out the post controls, but the author of the topic @anandmaloo wants to use all the Genos settings. Two more or less cables  ;)

He can do the following as well. Let Mic Volume down completely on Genos (pink) and then he can use volume 1 and 2 (green) on XENYX. In this case, only DSPs and VH2s from Genos will come to channels 7/8.
If MIC Volume is stored in registrations then this is not a good solution.

Simply sending both mics through the mixer with the EQ's set flat/zero, FX at zero, and out the Mains (left or right) to the balanced TRS line in of the Genos combo jack should be the easiest method to use the Genos mic effects.
I've kind of made an assumption he's using the Genos speakers and not a set of powered speakers connected to the mixer.

Online ckobu

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »
What do you mean by "Genos combo jack"?
Watch my video channel

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 01:04:29 AM »
What do you mean by "Genos combo jack"?
The jack for the MIC accepts both an XLR plug and either a 1/4" TS or TRS plug and provides a 'balanced' termination if the source is balanced. The center of the combo jack is for 1/4" plugs. The Xenyx mixer has a balanced output, thus using a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS cable would work and provide a balanced connection between the mixer and the Genos. A balanced connection provides a better signal transfer and is less susceptible to noise. I didn't read the Genos manual close enough to know if using the 1/4" of the combo jack is consider 'Line' level versus 'MIC' level which the XLR would be.

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 01:08:15 AM »
This is the "magic box" you need:

Audio-Technica AT8681 Unimix 2-to-1 Microphone Combiner with Balance Control, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006NMSWY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kJ3VDbQPDCH5A

Keep in mind that is best to use booth mics of the same brand/model.
This way you don’t need to use different EQ on each mic.
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

Offline valimaties

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »
This way you don’t need to use different EQ on each mic.

LOL

You cannot use the same EQ on both mics ever. Each mic will be used by different users, probably one of them is a he and one is a she. It is clearly that the frequencies of a man does not fit the same frequencies of a woman, so in conclusion, you will need to set different EQ for each mic, always ;) This is the correct approach ;)

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2019, 07:19:39 AM »
OVERWHELMED !. This is the reason I love this place. So many people taking time out to explain with so much detail. !!

Though some of the extremely technical stuff mentioned here is beyond my level of knowledge, I now have a fair bit of understanding of the solutions available to me.

Another issue is that my main output of the Genos is the input to my mixer because I mix it with Karaoke tracks (input from Ipad in the mixer). The main output of mixer then goes to my home theater system mixing the following

1)  Genos(with genos connected mic on which I sing)
2)  2nd standalone mic for my singing partner (with dsp effects from mixer)
3) Ipad output of karaoke tracks

So maybe mixing the 2 microphones sound at my existing Behringer mixer is ruled out.

Thanks a lot once again for all the help

Regards

Anand

Online ckobu

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Simply sending both mics through the mixer with the EQ's set flat/zero, FX at zero, and out the Mains (left or right) to the balanced TRS line in of the Genos combo jack should be the easiest method to use the Genos mic effects.
I've kind of made an assumption he's using the Genos speakers and not a set of powered speakers connected to the mixer.

Your proposal will not respond anandmaloo for two reasons.
1. cannot use GENOS DSP effects on microphones
2. Cannot hear anything on speakers connected to XENYX

@anandmaloo
My suggestion may seem complicated, but if you try it you will see that it is not. Other than a few cables, you have no investment.
But you have received enough good / bad tips, so try some of them and let us know how it came out.

Best regards, ckobu

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2019, 01:52:56 PM »
Given that anandmaloo failed to describe his whole setup (other inputs to the mixer and use of external speakers) at the beginning of this post, many suggestions given here are not usable for what he is doing. Otherwise if it were just two mics through the mixer to the Genos, it woulds have worked fine with the Genos DSP effects.

ckobu's suggestion to use the FX send and return is the best and likely only option with a few changes in setting levels as noted in a few of the previous posts. Be sure to gain stage each device properly and it should work fine.

Offline anandmaloo

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
Given that anandmaloo failed to describe his whole setup (other inputs to the mixer and use of external speakers) at the beginning of this post, many suggestions given here are not usable for what he is doing. Otherwise if it were just two mics through the mixer to the Genos, it woulds have worked fine with the Genos DSP effects.

I sincerely apologize for my mistake.

Regards

Anand