Author Topic: New firmware for Genos, including chord looper, in October 2019?  (Read 266056 times)

Offline ugawoga

Re: New firmware for Genos, including chord looper, in October 2019?
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »
Hi Bachus

I reckon the update will be released 31st of October or just before. A matter of deduction "My Dear Watson"! as Sherlock Holmes would say

The reason being, is that there is a Yamaha promotion  on that date called Experts in Store which is going around the UK at that point in time.
This may also be going on in your and other countries.

All the best
John :) :) :) :) 8)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
Hi John,
  They did say Winter and not Autumn. I hope we get it as a Christmas present.
They will have the SX900 with them so can demonstrate Chord Looper and Style reset.

Offline Bill

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2019, 12:37:29 PM »
Hi John

If you cannot see them in the UK you can at least download a couple of Yamaha Registration Bank for free.
Scroll down the page at like below.  Link is courtesy of Eileen.

Bill

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/news_events/2019/xperts.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:13:59 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Hi John

Currently there is exactly one official reference regarding 2.0 in Germany. There is an anouncement for a "Workshop 2.0 Genos with Manfred Pichler". It is scheduled for Nov 28th and will take place at "Mister Music", a dealer who often presented in the past the premiere of new Yamaha arrangers in Germany. Note that Pichler does other Genos demos/workshops before that date where "2.0" is not explicitly mentionend.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 02:03:40 PM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline valimaties

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2019, 02:33:21 PM »
Actially there is so many other helpfull features they could add in a 2.5 or 3.0 update..
With this new philosophy, the lifespan of a Genos will be atleast 5 or 6 years before seeing an update
Which is a great thing this way for initial buyers

+1
I also think that there are a lot of software things to be improved or added, but also I think there will be limitations according to hardware (buttons, chips, potentiometers, etc). Even if you can do a lot of things using only the touch screen.
I don't think will be a Genos 2 too soon.

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline RoyB

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »
I don't own a Genos but I am happy for all Genos owners that Yamaha seem to be listening and offering a significant and worthwhile upgrade to Genos owners.

Given Yamaha's past practice on upgrades, I think we can all very reasonably expect that this is going to be a free upgrade for existing Genos owners. We have every reason to expect that this is going to be the case.

However, I feel that the teaser video is less specific than it might have been and a bit ambiguous on this, leaving open the possibility that this may not be the case. When you look at the teaser video for 1.4, it prominently described it as a 'Firmware Upgrade 1.4'. On the other hand, the V2 video very briefly shows a flashing counter moving up to 2.0, but makes no mention of firmware upgrade. In fact, it describes it prominently throughout as 'Genos Ver 2.0'.

This of course might be something or nothing and it may or may not be significant - you can read into this what you will. After all, it is a teaser video. Only time will tell, but let's hope it is as we are all assuming - a free upgrade.

Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

The following users thanked this post: valder

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »
I don't own a Genos but I am happy for all Genos owners that Yamaha seem to be listening and offering a significant and worthwhile upgrade to Genos owners.

Given Yamaha's past practice on upgrades, I think we can all very reasonably expect that this is going to be a free upgrade for existing Genos owners. We have every reason to expect that this is going to be the case.

However, I feel that the teaser video is less specific than it might have been and a bit ambiguous on this, leaving open the possibility that this may not be the case. When you look at the teaser video for 1.4, it prominently described it as a 'Firmware Upgrade 1.4'. On the other hand, the V2 video very briefly shows a flashing counter moving up to 2.0, but makes no mention of firmware upgrade. In fact, it describes it prominently throughout as 'Genos Ver 2.0'.

This of course might be something or nothing and it may or may not be significant - you can read into this what you will. After all, it is a teaser video. Only time will tell, but let's hope it is as we are all assuming - a free upgrade.
Interesting post, Roy. Did Yamaha just start advertising Genos 2 - same guts but a much upgraded OS? Ah, more speculation. Guess we'll find out soon enough :).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
Yamaha did a very similar thing with the 9000. There were a few things that should have been on there so after around six months they issued a large update and called it version 2. They even supplied
 a sticker to put on your keyboard showing it was now version 2.
  How many of you remember this. I was very fortunate to meet the Japanese designers at Yamaha in a discussion over certain problems and quite a lot was added.   

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2019, 08:02:00 PM »
Hi Bill
Thanks for those Styles and to Eileen
Now these Styles are all about 100 volumes or thereabouts.
Is that the common standard to keep to for all of your collection.
I had previously made registrations and most songs all different volumes and that annoyed me for a while . Now i am trying to find the mean average so i do not have to keep altering.

All the Best
John :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline EileenL

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
Well John,
  As you know the keyboard defaults to a volume of 100 for most things. I usually keep my styles at this but do adjust volumes within the style for my own personnel use. I also usually raise the right hand voices to around 120. Once I have them right I save to registration banks. Most of my banks are set to the same volumes. That way when playing out I don't blast the audience with unwanted sound.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:00 PM »
Hi Eileen

Thanks for reply.
I will work on my Registrations to get them near the Yamaha ones that has been given.
Good starting point also for mixing songs in Cubase
I have been having a go at perfecting Albatross Fleetwood Mac song.
Getting the bending of guitar just right takes practice  and you have to take your left hand off the chords momentarilly so as not to engage that aftertouch doubling sound.
You need it in to get the feeling and it is quite an art to get your hands off the left side sometimes and stabbing the footpedal for a rising cymbal and guitar bending with another pedal.
It is more like Don Partridge doing Rosie!! ;D Hands feet, knees  boompsy daisie!! :o ;D ;D ;)
Simple stucture to the song , but hard to get the Pete Green effect.

All the Best
john :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 10:05:30 PM by ugawoga »

Offline overover

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »
Hi folks,

Yamaha announces the Genos Update Version 2.0 for "Winter 2019" by this Teaser on "Yamaha Global" YouTube channel:

https://youtu.be/KfrdEbbz1aM

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 03:21:27 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
April's Fool already?  ;)
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
I don't think it will be October
More likely to be December onwards. It is going to be a very good update.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »
April's Fool already?  ;)

If you're talking about the speculators, yes, many of their prognostications have been wrong.

But Yamaha have done what they said. Expect the update in "Winter 2019".

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EB5AGV

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2019, 04:56:08 PM »
If you're talking about the speculators, yes, many of their prognostications have been wrong.

But Yamaha have done what they said. Expect the update in "Winter 2019".

Cheers,
Fred

It seems that nobody understood my joke, sorry  ::)

Someone posts here telling there is a 2.0 teaser video... days after we discussed it on this same thread  ;)

OTOH, for me this is what I expected from YAMAHA after they said that the journey is not over after the 1.40 update. So no foolish, but great news!  ;D

Jose
Jose Gavila
Yamaha: U3H, DX7, TX81Z, DX11, SY77, TG77, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, MONTAGE 6 (B & WH), MODX6+, GENOS

Plus lots other music toys :-)