Author Topic: genos 1.4 update stalling not completing download  (Read 71499 times)

Re: genos 1.4 update stalling not completing download
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
You also might try disconnecting all attached accessories before updating. It's rare, but I've seen an attached device cause havoc in a computer system before. It's easy, free, and worth a try. :)
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »
First and foremost, be sure the files, after extraction, are copied to the Root Directory of the USB stick and NOT into a folder. If they are in a folder the Genos will search endlessly for files it cannot find.

Additionally, some USB drives have built-in drive programs that must be deleted before it can be used in the keyboard. This can only be done in your PC - not in the keyboard and the program is not removed by formatting. It must be uninstalled, which can be accomplished with most uninstaller programs in your PC.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline StuartR

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »
You also might try disconnecting all attached accessories before updating. It's rare, but I've seen an attached device cause havoc in a computer system before. It's easy, free, and worth a try. :)
Good thinking!
I was just about to suggest that as well. Unplug everything from the Genos except the power cord and the USB drive containing the extracted update file.

Alfred59

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
I spoke to Yamaha Europe technical today and explained the problem of not being able to update. After checking I had implemented their  procedures correctly  he suggested I remove the usb from underneath the keyboard and restart with just the single firmware  usb inserted in the rear slot. I did this but again it made no difference. The usb couldnt be read. As requested  I have  sent him this usb and he will install a copy of his firmware 1.4. I can’t see how this will make any difference but fingers crossed it will work.
I have had  many   Yamaha keyboards over the  years and upgraded them all successfully. I have never come across this problem before.
I have done all the things recommended by members on this forum including resetting the keyboard, using different flash drives, root file, etc etc

Offline valimaties

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 09:24:12 PM »
Ok... seems Genos, being made in series, might used different components inside for different series. (I hope it is not this, but surely, can be a cause)
I saw in the past that some of electronic devices, manufactured by the same brand, and the same version of software, had different comportment because of different electronic pieces inside, used...
I repeat, I hope this has nothing to do with this problem, but could be, for some users ...

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »
As most of us have updated with no problem it is unlikely to be a fault with Genos. Even if you have three USB sticks in keyboard it will search and find the update.

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2019, 12:34:28 AM »
i contacted Yamaha support and told them my problem and how i installed the update and was told i did it correctly and the only thing they said was not to use more than a 4gb flash drive.

I'm just curious. This is so simple it can't be the issue, but just in case...are you starting with the Genos off and then powering up into the update routine?
Check Out My YouTube Channel! https://goo.gl/edbXFS

Offline pjd

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2019, 12:40:00 AM »
i contacted Yamaha support ...

After all this, you need some encouragement and good vibes, too! Hang in there!

-- pj

Offline StuartR

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2019, 05:00:08 AM »
I contacted Yamaha Support today and was told i did everything correctly and not to use over a 4GB flash drive and it would not take longer than 5 minutes.
i tried again with a 4gb and 1 GB formatted on Genoes. i copied and pasted Genossetup.prg on the flash drives.i put in Genoes usb1 and no other usb devices connected to board. i get the same screen the update program V1.40 and says step one and green light flashes for 10 seconds and goes out and screen says on top program installer and bottom Genoes logo and let it run for 15 minutes and had to power off board with no update.was the same with both flash drives.Will be contacting Yamaha back tomorrow.they said that the update was ok on the web site

Well since we're grasping for straws as it were, here's another thing you could try. If you can find a copy of the Genos 1.2 firmware update you could apply it and see if that would allow you to downgrade. The outcome of that operation should tell us something. If it works you could then try the 1.4 update from there. If it doesn't work that may tell us you have a Genos hardware problem.

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 05:02:03 AM by StuartR »

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2019, 07:26:48 AM »
My screen looks exactly like that. It's still asking me to insert media.

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
Hi everybody

I didn't follow the discusssion here completly, so maybe this has been mentioned or proposed before. Anyway, here it goes.

In the German Yamaha forum one user reported he could not upgrade to 1.40. Same symptoms as described here. Finally he was able to resolve the problem by performing a factory reset. After this he could upgrade to 1.40.

If you want to give this a try make sure to backup all your user data, as it will be lost upon a factory reset.

HTH, Micheal
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 09:59:13 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
I know that everyone is sincerely trying to help, but we have danced around the issue
that Harold, Franksboard, Alfred and maybe a few others are having  for days now
without considering the possibility that there may be some kind of issue with their
particular keyboards.

We have squirmed, dodged, ducked and tried to tutor these gentlemen on how to
install an update, something that they have successfully done many times in the past.
And something that they have reiterated over and over again.

Maybe Vali, in his post above may have a point, that sometimes some different
components may be used on the same keyboard, by the same manufacturer,
depending on where it's built.

Just saying " mine went without a hitch" may be an attempt at encouragement but
not really helpful in solving the problem these gentlemen have.

If the Elephant in the room, a defect, is not mentioned as a possibility, all the
dancing around the issue is of no use.

I have installed the update myself via the front port, without removing the USB drive
under the keyboard, as many others have done.

So the problem is not where you insert your drive, if the procedure has been done correctly.
Something that these gentlemen have done many times.

Why can't we contemplate the possibility that there may be some kind of defect in their
keyboards, that is only now rearing it's head with this attempt to install this particular update?
Why?.

Best Regards.
Abby.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 02:09:03 PM »
Michael,

I agree, that factory reset should be the next step to find a solution. When all other conditions are identical, only the software configuration of the Genos can be the source. Perhaps any settings or an installed expansion pack or any files on the user drive that cause the issues. Or the loaded registration file is not compatible with the update. Or the current configuration uses a feature that is removed, for example switching part on/off is assigned to a pedal.

Uli

P.S.: Factory reset was the solution for one user of forum.yamaha-europe.com

P.P.S.: Abby, of course, if this does not help, a hardware defect or series change is the next possibility.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:38:36 PM by voodoo »
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline EileenL

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2019, 02:39:25 PM »
Have any of you here attempted to contact Yamaha themselves about this problem after all that should be your first port of call if you are having these type of problems.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2019, 02:56:11 PM »
Michael,

I agree, that factory reset should be the next step to find a solution. When all other conditions are identical, only the software configuration of the Genos can be the source. Perhaps any settings or an installed expansion pack or any files on the user drive that cause the issues. Or the loaded registration file is not compatible with the update. Or the current configuration uses a feature that is removed, for example switching part on/off is assigned to a pedal.

Uli

P.S.: Factory reset was the solution for one user of forum.yamaha-europe.com

P.P.S.: Abby, of course, if this does not help, a hardware defect or series change is the next possibility.

I am 0% agree that (quote)...
"... Perhaps any settings or an installed expansion pack or any files on the user drive that cause the issues. Or the loaded registration file is not compatible with the update"
I did not heard in my life about a bond between firmware updates and existing files on disks, compatibility... In the worst case, after update complete, those files are not loaded or, or worst than that, it will block the device, but with all firmware files updated ;)

So, Why did I said about factory reset?! I thought the disk where the firmware file is mounted is full and as I see in the update script, there is no check about that!
I don't know what to say anymore...  :(

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline frozzers

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2019, 03:26:59 PM »
The factory reset option seems to make sense to me. The worst case scenario, provided you've backed up all your data of course, is it still won't update to 1.4.

Surely it's worth a try as you'll be no worse off.

While on the subject of factory resets, won't a factory reset skirt the issue of not being able to downgrade from 1.4 to 1.3?

You could just do a reset and then update to 1.3.

Cheers

Chris

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »
Have any of you here attempted to contact Yamaha themselves about this problem after all that should be your first port of call if you are having these type of problems.

Hi Eileen

The story the German user mentioned above told was as follows:

- He contacted Yamaha support.
- They had not a solution to his upgrade problem. They adviced him to approach a Yamaha technician.
- He asked the support, if a factory reset could eventually help. The answer was, they don't believe that.
- Before carrying over his gear to a technician, he thought he'd give a try resetting the Genos. Couldn't harm.
- It resolved the problem.

To my best knowledge this was the first report that anyone had resolved the problem. Everyone is entitled to do what he thinks makes sense. Personally I would give the factory reset a try.
Regards, Michael

Kame

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2019, 10:16:58 PM »
I contacted Yamaha twice on update version 1.40 not completing and they said i was doing it correctly and to use smaller drives under 4gb which i did 4 of them from 500mg to 4gb formatted in Genos and will start install and freeze on screen program installer with Genoes logo .Yamaha  only advice use smaller drives and no other help.I even mentioned this Forum with other members having same issue as me.I sent another e-mail and hope can get resolved

I am glad that you have been able to realign your genos.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem with my genome and unfortunately none of the above advice helps to solve the problem

I sent a message to my yamaha representative and wait for further instructions

greetings
Kame

Kame

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2019, 06:17:20 AM »
I've tried many pendrives and the effect is the same  :-[

Offline valimaties

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
...they said the update worked on their Genos

Really?!  ;D

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2019, 05:31:00 PM »
Well I am very surprised if Yamaha told you that. Dose not matter what size USB you use on Genos  as long as it isn't one with the extra file on it and it is formatted in Genos first there should be no problem. Make sure you copy the file correctly to your computer. Make sure it unzips OK and just that file is copied to the root directory of the USB. It MUST not be in a folder on your USB

Offline AlBags

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »

Thats x2 people having problems upgrading to 1.4

BOTH using IMac's.
Try doing the USB file/stick on Windows, folks.
😊  I started out with nothing .. and I've got most of it left!  😊

🎹 Tyros 5-76,  now the brilliant Genos 🎹
Genelec 8030C Studio Monitors on K&M stands
K&M Spider Pro Stand, K&M Accessories. I love K&M!

Offline valimaties

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2019, 10:29:11 PM »
Thats x2 people having problems upgrading to 1.4

BOTH using IMac's.
Try doing the USB file/stick on Windows, folks.

Not only two.. there are more!

...as long as it isn't one with the extra file on it and it is formatted in Genos first there should be no problem...

Does not matter how many files do you have on that stick. I always use my stick from Genos, which I have all  the data on it (registrations, styles, playlists, text files, my PC data files like kits, and other personal data on it). I have never had a problem with it updating Genos!

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline AlBags

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2019, 10:36:31 PM »

Same here Vali.

As long as it sees a file of correct extension it can read on ROOT, the stick can be full of folders and files.

DOES NOT MATTER what size USB .. if Genos can read, it will extract. Also USB1, USB2, USB3, no matter.

Yamaha HAVE NO ANSWER and are 'clutching at straws!'

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2019, 11:14:29 PM »
Yamaha HAVE NO ANSWER and are 'clutching at straws!'

Yes, but that's because there is more than one possible cause, and hence no single solution; all Yamaha Support can do is try to eliminate each possibility until the solution for a given user's problem is found.

Just look at the different suggested solutions in this thread, and how the same solutions are suggested again and again, without positive result. That doesn't mean everyone here is inept and clueless, simply that no one has yet been able to isolate the specific cause and solution in this case.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2019, 12:34:30 AM »
There are some USB sticks you can  buy that have a separate section on them that holds extra information that are not suitable for keyboards Vali. They are the ones I was referring to.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2019, 06:43:39 AM »
There are some USB sticks you can  buy that have a separate section on them that holds extra information that are not suitable for keyboards Vali. They are the ones I was referring to.

Hi Eileen.. I did not find till now such an USB stick... Yes, I found some External HDDs which indeed bring some software within which can protect your hdd with a password or some specific brand format tools... Yes, I know there is on any USB stick some row data on the header of the USB stick which holds data about vendor, firmware version and other stuff like this...

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2019, 08:34:43 AM »
Does not matter how many files do you have on that stick. I always use my stick from Genos, which I have all  the data on it (registrations, styles, playlists, text files, my PC data files like kits, and other personal data on it). I have never had a problem with it updating Genos!

MeToo  ;D
Regards, Michael

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2019, 10:29:37 AM »
There are moments in a given situation where one doesn't know whether to laugh or cry.
This is now the the second page of this discussion, with every new poster suggesting
the same solutions that have been suggested on page 1.

At the same time, the ones who are having this installation problem keep reiterating
that they have followed the instructions to the letter and that they have updated their
previous keyboards many times, including Genos update 1.30, using the same
Computer on every installation, without any problems at all.

We are now trying to suggest that the USB pendrive could be the problem, even though
Franksboard has said  that he tried 4 different ones, of varying sizes, and always with the
same result.

Alfred 59, on the other thread about this issue, has used the same pendrive to update
to v1.30 without any problems, but he is now having problems updating to v1.40.

As we strenuously try to avoid admitting that there may be some kind of defect in the
keyboard's components that refuse to accept this update, it would not surprise me
at all if someone recommends voodoo and the burning of incense next.

The laugh or cry statement above is because we seem to be blaming everything else,
from the earth to the heavens, except those particular keyboard themselves.

This of course is no laughing matter for those affected by this problem, and I hope that
Yamaha will make a serious effort to help these gentlemen.

Best Regards

Abby.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:35:45 AM by Pianoman »

Offline RoyB

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »
I agree with Pianoman and I don't intend to repeat the same basic suggestions that have filled the first 2 pages of this thread. Given that the problems are being reported not by novices but by a number of experienced owners who are fully familiar with how to do Yamaha updates, the rational conclusion would seem to be (a) there is something about the 1.4 update that those particular Genos keyboards do not like, or (b) there is something about those particular Genos keyboards that the 1.4 update does not like. Either way, as Vali has suggested, it would seem to come down to a compatibility issue with certain Genos keyboards that would require Yamaha to resolve.

I do have one further suggestion that is perhaps something of a long-shot, but as the Genos is using the current installed software (presumably 1.3) to try and recognise and read the 1.4 update file (and failing), and assuming the 1.4 file is not corrupt, then a possibility to eliminate is whether it might be something to do with the ability of the current installed system on that keyboard to perform an update operation. Perhaps one way of eliminating this is to try and see whether you can re-install V1.3 (or even a previous version) using the same USB stick (I believe one owner was considering trying to re-install V1.3 but I don't know what the result of that was, and I understand at least one owner on antoher forum resolved the issue by performing a factory re-set but presumably that may not have worked for others).

Roy
Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Kame

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2019, 03:27:11 PM »

I do have one further suggestion that is perhaps something of a long-shot, but as the Genos is using the current installed software (presumably 1.3) to try and recognise and read the 1.4 update file (and failing), and assuming the 1.4 file is not corrupt, then a possibility to eliminate is whether it might be something to do with the ability of the current installed system on that keyboard to perform an update operation. Perhaps one way of eliminating this is to try and see whether you can re-install V1.3 (or even a previous version) using the same USB stick (I believe one owner was considering trying to re-install V1.3 but I don't know what the result of that was, and I understand at least one owner on antoher forum resolved the issue by performing a factory re-set but presumably that may not have worked for others).

Roy

I did exactly that and the update is 1.3 and the update 1.4 is unfortunately not.

Offline AlBags

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2019, 04:36:38 PM »

Yes, Eileen ..

They are called U3 drives, invented I think by SanDisk. They have a small separate partition, and running in Windows behaving like a cd drive with separate storage area. These will not run properly in Windows  environment without U3 software install.

A.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:52:36 PM by AlBags »

Offline franksboard

Genos issue with installing v1.40
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
I contacted Yamaha three times on trying to install firmware update 1.4 and told them procedure i used to update.they told me everything i did was correctly done,but the board hangs on update.they told me not to use any larger than a 4gb flash drive,which i tried several 4gb and under with same results.they are looking into the issue,but said worked fine in their board.and my be an issue with my board.please would all the members here having an issue installing contact Yamaha so they know other boards are affected to which could be a hardware issue were dealing with.i update to version 1.3 last year with no issues installing update
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:09:27 PM by franksboard »

Offline AlBags

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »

Taking their time, Yamaha.
Anyone would think they were a pokey little company.

haroldh

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2019, 01:23:22 PM »
I have been away this last week so was hoping for a solution on my return. This has not happened even though another post is covering the same subject.  I have tried all the guidance given in both posts now to no avail.  I am sure that the file when being read by the genos albeit correct for some machines is not being allowed to load due to some parameters in other machines.

I wonder if any successful user has tried to load a KB that is not loading correctly, thus ruling any operator error either in or out??

Allegro Music at Chelmsford have many users where this could be tried perhaps.
 Haroldh

Offline AlBags

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »

Call Allegro in Chelmsford, Harold.
Maybe they'll know something!

Al. 😊

haroldh

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
GOOD NEWS
Carry out a full FACTORY RESET , tick all the boxes and BINGO at last 1.4 works.
Do not forget to also do a full back up before you reset.
haroldh

The following users thanked this post: Dromeus, AlBags

Offline AlBags

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2019, 08:32:02 PM »

I'm so pleased you sorted it in the end! 😊👍
Well done!

Al.

The following users thanked this post: franksboard

Alfred59

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »
Hi Haroldh,
I’m having the same difficulty installing v1.4. I’m glad you’ve managed it at last.
Can you tell me what a full factory reset is please.
Alfred

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2019, 12:12:56 AM »
Alfred, a full factory reset, on most Yamaha arranger keyboards, is performed by going through Function/Utility/System Reset, then placing a check mark in every box in the lower left side of the display and pressing "Factory Reset Execute"  This will delete all files in your user area and bring the keyboard back to fresh, out of the box condition.

Some individuals have tried doing a factory reset by merely holding down the rightmost white key while powering up - this does NOT provide a Full factory reset - just a system restoration, which is a minor reset. A full factory reset is almost like formatting a hard drive and restoring the operating system of a PC.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Dromeus

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2019, 09:27:57 AM »
GOOD NEWS
Carry out a full FACTORY RESET , tick all the boxes and BINGO at last 1.4 works.
Do not forget to also do a full back up before you reset.

Finally, one soul managed to follow the advice I gave days ago... So this is now the second case known to me, where a factory reset cures the problem. Should work for others too!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 09:30:42 AM by Dromeus »
Regards, Michael

Alfred59

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »
Thanks travelling easy. I did that full reset  earlier this morning after looking it up on YouTube but it made no difference. Bugs out at step1. Thanks again. Alfred

Alfred59

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2019, 10:17:36 AM »
Looks like it’s just me with the problem now!

Alfred59

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2019, 10:26:18 AM »
First it was Notestar and now Genos. Not having much luck with Yamaha.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2019, 12:54:32 PM »
Hi Alfred did you do the complete reset and not the quick one.

Alfred59

« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2019, 10:46:36 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Yes I did the full reset but it still didn’t work. It gets as far as step one and bugs out. I’ll have to return it to Yamaha somehow but my dealers closed down in Exeter.

Offline Bud2

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
In the past I have helped people to do their update by talking them through it on the phone and explained each step. As long as they follow each step as you tell them they have been 100% successful. I even did this with a friend who had a Korg and couldn't do the update to Version 2 which again worked fine.
Bill