Author Topic: Can't change the instrument in a channel in MIDI Multirecording  (Read 9096 times)

melokeyz

Dear all,

When I create a style using the Style Creator, I can select the instrument in each of the 8 channels by simply touching the instrument icon and the Voices window open. This is not the case in MIDI multirecording. When I touch the instrument icon, it opens the part settings window to select the parts (Right 1, Left, Right2, Right3, M.PAD1, M.PAD2, ....... etc).

I want to change the instrument in each channel like I do when I create a style. How would I record a channel without specifying first the instrument that I want? Or maybe simply I still don't understand how it works. I read about MIDI multirecording in the reference manual several times but it didn't mention how to change the instrument in each channel.

I am on the latest version of the firmware.

Have anyone faced this issue?

Thx

Offline jwyvern

Re: Can't change the instrument in a channel in MIDI Multirecording
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:35:39 PM »
Once you have loaded the song into Multi recorder, go to Mixer and select the song1-8 tab. There you will see the usual array of voices. Make changes then exit back to recorder. Before saving push Setup, then Execute. Then save.
John
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:37:57 PM by jwyvern »

melokeyz

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:33 PM »
Thanks  :)

Make sense.

Let me try that and come back with an update.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:40:05 PM »
You would normally select the voices you were going to use in a recording and save to a registration bank. Then all you do is press the buttons you want with the voices you have set up as you record.

melokeyz

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:37:25 AM »
But I guess the registration memory buttons are used mainly for live performance. For example, I don't have to create a button for drum kits just to record my rhythm. It's not practical. Selecting a voice directly through a channel is way more practical like I did in Style Creator.

melokeyz

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
Once you have loaded the song into Multi recorder, go to Mixer and select the song1-8 tab. There you will see the usual array of voices. Make changes then exit back to recorder. Before saving push Setup, then Execute. Then save.
John

John, I followed your instructions and they make sense. I found all the song channels in the mixer so I can change them one by one. However, the saving operation is acting silly now. After I went to Setup and Execute then Save, it didn't actually save anything. In addition, I still can't understand why each channel is assigned to a part. Even If I change instruments one by one in the mixer channels, I still get the sounds of the parts' instruments. This mean that I should always change them using registration buttons as Eileen pointed out. I think the song channels in the mixer are used later on to change the instruments of your existing recording if you're not satisfied with your current instruments in the recording.

Until I understand MIDI recording in Genos, I am going to stick to my Ableton Live recording in the time being because it's more flexible.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
"I think the song channels in the mixer are used later on to change the instruments of your existing recording if you're not satisfied with your current instruments in the recording."
Yes that is usually the case, I took it perhaps wrongly from the wording in your original post that is what you were trying to do. If the save is not working make sure you go to Multi recorder first, then access Mixer. This means you can get back to Multi recorder for saving just by pushing Exit. (Do not start multi Rec again or this will cause the changes to be lost! )

Also:
1. Before going to Setup ensure the song is at the Start by touching Stop.
2. When you go to Setup, ensure the first 2 rows of properties showing on the screen are ticked, (the main parameters of the song).

If instead you want to  play and record a new voice (or voices) into Multi recorder then set that up in the panel voices complete with their effects required. You can save this setup to a registration so it is not subsequently lost. Then touch Rec on the channels you need to record, choosing which panel voice (R1 etc) or even Multipad or style part voices you want to record from the popup window.

John
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:17:50 PM by jwyvern »

melokeyz

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
I think I got it.

I understood it in a very wrong direction. I thought I could use the mixer song channels to select my instruments prior to recording. It's totally different from the style creator. Voices are used via the usual registration memory buttons or even the OTS buttons since a song channel is reading the voice directly from a part (R1,L,R2,R3). After recording, I can use the mixer song channels to modify, mix, pan, and master when necessary.

Honestly, I find MIDI recording in DAW is much much more better. Sequencer in Genos is very weak and it takes time to get used to it. Tracking colors in DAW is very important to me and my work. The flexibility to cut, copy, modify, delete notes is incomparable in DAW. Even though I can do this in step recording in Genos, it's still a slow process.

Looks like I am going to skip recoding MIDI in Genos and do it the flexible way.

Thanks John, my question is answered. :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 04:21:23 PM by melokeyz »

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:17 PM »
If you have already put the time in to understand how a DAW works it is possible to work more quickly and do much more manipulation.
Because I use VConsole a lot of the time (which uses the song channels to provide many more voices for playing live) that precludes me from using midi recording so I currently stick to Audio recording. Even so the drawn out opaque way that Yamaha does it annoys me a lot, even for fairly straightforward recording so I use Cakewalk for that ;)

John

melokeyz

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Yeah I am using Ableton for 2 yrs so I am pretty invested my time and effort in it.

I just needed to fully utilize Genos because its price still hurts me lool.

Thanks again for your amazing help.  :)

melokeyz

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »
One more thing  ...

Do you know how can I use Genos as a VST in a Daw?
I want to use its crisp and vivid sounds inside the Daw.

Is it even possible?
If so, I guess the connection should be from Genos to my audio interface through midi in/out cables?

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 10:00:14 PM »
Not sure about using as a VST.
To be able to record audio in Cakewalk I have splitter  cables connected to the main stereo audio outputs of Genos so I can have 1 set of signals going to speakers, the other set goes to the pc audio interface.

John

melokeyz

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 10:29:43 PM »
I understand

I thought I could use Genos as a VST plugin in order to utilize its sounds and Revo drums for MIDI recording inside the DAW. Your setup is for 100% audio recording.

Cheers

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »
I understand

I thought I could use Genos as a VST plugin in order to utilize its sounds and Revo drums for MIDI recording inside the DAW. Your setup is for 100% audio recording.

Cheers

Can't you already play those Genos voices from the DAW via the USB MIDI connection?

Yes 100% audio, with the occasional option to multi-track if it has to be.

John
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 08:12:24 AM by jwyvern »

melokeyz

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »
Can't you already play those Genos voices from the DAW via the USB MIDI connection?

Not really because once I connect the keyboard via USB, it became a simple MIDI keyboard controlled by DAW and VST plugins. Only the VST voices are used.

The Korg Kronos can be a VSTi inside a DAW so you can utilize its voices for DAW MIDI recording. Looks like the Genos isn't the same case.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »
Not really because once I connect the keyboard via USB, it became a simple MIDI keyboard controlled by DAW and VST plugins. Only the VST voices are used.

The Korg Kronos can be a VSTi inside a DAW so you can utilize its voices for DAW MIDI recording. Looks like the Genos isn't the same case.

I probably don't understand exactly how you are trying to use your KB so don't pay too much attention to this ;)

But:
Assuming you are using the default All Parts midi template, if Genos is becoming a controller keyboard after connection you must be using midi port 2. If instead you were to connect to midi port1 you would have a multi timbral voice module which would be capable of playing all the voices via DAW midi (as well as via the keyboard itself).

See the Genos midi screens for details of channels, parts, ports etc.

John
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:49:05 AM by jwyvern »