Author Topic: Info about Audio-over-USB of PSR-E363  (Read 5702 times)

Practical Senses

Info about Audio-over-USB of PSR-E363
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:38:50 PM »
Hi!
I've tested audio over USB capability of my PSR-E363 and want to share my thoughts.

1. Audio driver is stable and ASIO-able, which mean that you can get as low as 32samples buffer and around 10msec latency (I'm running 8-12 tracks with some VSTi project in Reaper at 128samples without any issues)
2. It actually can work at 24bit/44.1kHz instead of just 16bit/44.1kHz as stated in manual.
3. Signal from AuxIn also can be recorded via USB as well as sound from keyboard.
I've tried to plug mixer and guitar pedals into this aux in and recorded full song with guitar, vocal and keyboard.
4. It's full duplex audio interface (can record and playback at same time - 4 channel input, 2 channel output.).
5. Sound quality is way better than inbuilt soundcard of my PC. I would say that separate USB audio interface of same level will cost around 100$ or even more.

Offline vbdx66

Re: Info about Audio-over-USB of PSR-E363
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 01:33:49 AM »
Waow this is really impressive for a “beginner” keyboard costing less than € 200.

Would this also work on an iPad, for instance with GarageBand or Yamaha Audio Recorder ? The fact that it also can record what comes through the Aux In is certainly a plus.

Which mixer are you using? My DGX 650 also has Aux In and Audio USB, albeit not on a computer/iPad connected to the USB to Host slot, but it can record directly on an USB stick plugged into the USB to Device port.

Mind you, I suppose that it is also possible to record a second keyboard or a sound module plugged into the AuxIn, which sounds really cool.

Could the E363 control an USB host and record its output at the same time? I am thinking for instance of controlling the iM1 app on an iPad from the keyboard and recording the output in the Yamaha Audio Recorder app (or any other audio recording app for that matter), or controlling a virtual instrument on the computer and recording the output in Audacity or any DAW?

Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Practical Senses

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:38:04 AM »
Would this also work on an iPad, for instance with GarageBand or Yamaha Audio Recorder ? The fact that it also can record what comes through the Aux In is certainly a plus.

Which mixer are you using? My DGX 650 also has Aux In and Audio USB, albeit not on a computer/iPad connected to the USB to Host slot, but it can record directly on an USB stick plugged into the USB to Device port.

Could the E363 control an USB host and record its output at the same time? I am thinking for instance of controlling the iM1 app on an iPad from the keyboard and recording the output in the Yamaha Audio Recorder app (or any other audio recording app for that matter), or controlling a virtual instrument on the computer and recording the output in Audacity or any DAW?

I used Soundcraft M8 mixer and also directly connect my overdrive guitar pedal. It can be anything with line level output, just try not to overload AuxIn with too strong signal level. I think you can also connect another synth in it or for example guitar with active pick-ups directly. I've soldered stereo mini jack to 2 mono jacks connector and have 2 separate mono channel which goes into E363.

I have no clue about iPad (and maybe Steinberg audio driver is required, so it wont work on iOS) , but as for PC you can use with any DAW, just install Steinberg driver and select ASIO Digital Keyboard in recording software as your audio device.

As for controlling, if your keyboard send MIDI CC command over USB, you'll be able to do it.
E363 have no assignable encoders, so for me it's not possible to use it as controller.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:44:04 AM by Practical Senses »

The following users thanked this post: vbdx66

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »
Hi!
I've tested audio over USB capability of my PSR-E363 and want to share my thoughts.

1. Audio driver is stable and ASIO-able, which mean that you can get as low as 32samples buffer and around 10msec latency (I'm running 8-12 tracks with some VSTi project in Reaper at 128samples without any issues)
2. It actually can work at 24bit/44.1kHz instead of just 16bit/44.1kHz as stated in manual.
3. Signal from AuxIn also can be recorded via USB as well as sound from keyboard.
I've tried to plug mixer and guitar pedals into this aux in and recorded full song with guitar, vocal and keyboard.
4. It's full duplex audio interface (can record and playback at same time - 4 channel input, 2 channel output.).
5. Sound quality is way better than inbuilt soundcard of my PC. I would say that separate USB audio interface of same level will cost around 100$ or even more.
Hi,

For point 2, how did you measure the 24bit/44.1khz? Are these values for input (from the computer to the keyboard) or for output (form the keyboard to the computer)? There is a discussion on the Genos board as to these values are really usable or not:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=45567.new;topicseen#new

Regards,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650, Casio CT-X800.

Practical Senses

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:25:06 PM »
Hi,

For point 2, how did you measure the 24bit/44.1khz? Are these values for input (from the computer to the keyboard) or for output (form the keyboard to the computer)? There is a discussion on the Genos board as to these values are really usable or not:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=45567.new;topicseen#new

Regards,

Vinciane

My Cockos Reaper DAW automaticaly detect Yamaha's interface as 24/44 and works without problems In and Out both way.
From my experience, if interface can't support 24bit it produce all kinds of distortions, pops and noises when trying to playback or record on 24bit.
It can be kind of on-fly bit-depth conversation from 24 to 16 bit in Yamaha (which is lowering headroom), but as far as everything sounds and function good, I don't really care :)