Author Topic: looking for slow 3/4 styles  (Read 8860 times)

feivi18

looking for slow 3/4 styles
« on: January 12, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm loving and still learning how to use my psr970, but am in need of slow, ballad-type 3/4 styles, and have found that there are very few 3/4 styles in the keyboard. Does anyone have a suggestion how I can find styles like that and add them? Alternatively, is there a way to change 4/4 styles into 3/4 styles in the keyboard itself?

Thanks in advance!

Philip

Offline MarcusAhlback

Re: looking for slow 3/4 styles
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »
Hi Philip!
I'm in kind of the same situation, so I'm afraid I can't help but I just write here to be able to follow the tread.
In my case I primarily want them for gospel/soul type of ballads like "Peace in the valley", "Amazing grace" etc.
Maybe sometimes it is 6/8 or 9/8 that could be useful. There is a style called "Gospel Sisters 6/8" that is not so far from what I am looking for.

Best regards Marcus 
Yamaha PSR-S770
Casio PX5-s

Offline hammer

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 03:27:09 PM »
Phillip,
Just find the ones you like and slow them down.

Deane

feivi18

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 06:05:59 PM »
Hi Deane,

Slowing them down doesn't work, because the songs I'm using them for have a different beat (i.e. 3/4 rather than 4/4).

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
There are not that many waltz styles out there as you have found.

As I have run into this problem with not only waltz styles but also finding styles to use in order to play songs from the last 10-20 years. I got so frustrated, I finally resorted to creating my own styles by "cutting and pasting" different parts of all the waltz styles to create something totally new.

I started off making small changes at first, like changing the BREAK used in the style and the Phr1 & Phr2 patterns. Then maybe just change the the instrument voice of the Phr. Just easy changes like that made a new style.   

Now a days I totally change dang near everything when I make a song style, but I first just tinkered around a little bit with the styles.

Regards
Drake

Offline panos

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
I only found three 3/4 styles that I have modified for s750 and two of them are not even slow  :(
There is a button on your keyboard called Music Finder and search all the preset 3/4 styles that your Psr has in all sections.
Also search for 6/8 styles or 9/8 styles as Marcus said.

If you try to change a style from 4/4 to 3/4 in style creator all the parts of the style will be deleted.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:04:20 PM »
Philip
Dean means find a 3/4 style you like then slow it down to the tempo.
While there are few 3/4 styles in a way you don’t need many because there isn’t too much variation between 3/4 accompaniments and I have always found starting with one of the panel 3/4 styles like country waltz and making a couple of edits (what Drake calls tinkering rather than full fledged style creation) works for most 3/4 songs. Sometimes it’s as little as the tempo.
It can be a bit more difficult for things like heavy rock waltz rhythms like say Leo Sayers ‘when I need you’ - never did find a style I really liked for that.But I never had any any trouble with simple stuff like Amazing Grace.
Making a good 3/4 style would require more than just changing the time signature on a 4/4 style so I would not go that route.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: YammyFan

Offline deepsae48

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 02:37:41 AM »
I have some 3/4 style (Boston)

The following users thanked this post: jes826, YammyFan, Taffinator

Offline panos

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
By the way I will put the links of how 2 of 3 styles that I have attached above sound like.

"Honor him" is from Gladiator soundtrack and probably I have used a preset style with not much modification or none at all.

For "Conquest of Paradise" soundtrack the styles that I found didn't sound good on my psr so I have done some editing and mixing between 2 styles to sound better,at least to my ears. :)
I have used the preset multipad called Gong&Chimes.

Conquest of Paradise cover
Honor Him Cover
Excuse my bad playing, just an amateur home player always with headphones on ;D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:49:58 PM by panos »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, YammyFan, thomas750, Taffinator