Author Topic: Organ flutes stop setting to emulated Hammond organ B-2 and or B-3 voices  (Read 184 times)

Offline Hoppy12

A band member asked me if I have the Hammond organ B-2 & B-3 voices aboard my psr s970. I could not say that I did or not.
Does anyone have this info to pass on to me and others or would direct me to where I can find out the following,  (1.) What organ flute voice would I use and (2.00 What would the stop settings ect be set at?
Thank you,
Harry

Offline pjd

Re: Organ flutes stop setting to emulated Hammond organ B-2 and or B-3 voices
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:29:39 AM »
Hello Harry --

Yes, you do have Hammond B-3 voices at your disposal. The are two kinds of voices: Sampled organs and organ flutes.

You'll find the sampled organs under the "Organ" preset voice category. You'll find the organ flute voices under the "Organ flutes" category.

The sampled organ sounds are fixed, that is, you cannot adjust the drawbar settings. The organ flute voices allow you to adjust the drawbar settings. The organ flute has a number of preset settings.

Which voice you use for a particular song depends, of course, on the sound that you want for the song. It's really impossible to give you a "one size fits all" recommendation. Are you playing rock? Jazz? A ballad? The voice you select depends upon the song and the feeling that you want to create.

I suggest reading chapter 1 of the Owner's Manual (Voices), especially the section about Organ Flutes voices. Then, select preset voices and try them. When you find a voice that works for a particular song, jot down the name of the preset and the song. Later, when you're comfortable with the basics, try adjusting the drawbars, etc.

Hope this helps you to get started -- pj

P.S. Yamaha calls the drawbar organ voices "Organ flutes" instead of Hammond B-3 in order to avoid trademark issues.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:30:55 AM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: Hoppy12

Offline Hoppy12

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:27:05 AM »
Hi, Our dance band plays mostly classic country and 50's &60's pop. And we play mostly at local senior centers ect.
I will get with our lead guitar player and spend some time going over all the organ flute voices to see if we can find what he's after.
Thanks for the help
Harry

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »
From your original question, is there a small misunderstanding?

The 'Organ Flutes' voice *is* the simulation of e.g. Hammond B2 / B3. Those organs have drawbars to adjust the sound by adding / removing various frequencies - which match the stop settings on the PSR.

As Paul said, there's no 'correct' drawbar / stop setting. The Hammonds and the "Organ Flute" voice can create a large range of sounds, experiment to find the one you want.
S770