Author Topic: Genos Playlist not ready for prime time  (Read 750 times)

Offline Fred Smith

Genos Playlist not ready for prime time
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
The playlist was one of the features I was looking forward to with the Genos.

On my Tyros, to create a playlist, I created a new folder, copied in the registrations for the songs in the playlist, edited the name to include a number for the order I wanted to play them.

However, this created duplicates and if I ever changed any registration I had to remember to go back and update the "master", which I sometimes forgot.

A playlist was going to solve this problem because there would always be only one copy of a registration. A playlist simply pointed to the registrations I wanted to play.

Unfortunately, the Genos will not actually play a playlist in order. I use a sequence in all my registrations, and when I get to the end of a sequence, the Tyros always went to the next registration in the order specified.

On the Genos, sequencing past the end of a registration does not go to the next registration in the Playlist, it goes to the next registration bank (in alphabetical order).

So I'm back to creating a folder for every gig, and copying in registrations.

Sigh.

Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Pauljones

Re: Genos Playlist not ready for prime time
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:46 PM »
Hi Fred,

I found the same problem which defeats the whole object of a playlist, I think!!!!!!!!

Offline valimaties

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 01:59:47 AM »
"The sequence" is the same problem even for registrations...
If you load a registration bank, and open the Registration Bank Info screen, you cannot navigate thru registration banks. On T5 you can do this. :(
And a double click on registration bank name could open that screen, not using of Menu - Registration Bank Info... this implied 2 steps more for open, and two steps more to close it and change it...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 02:03:55 AM by valimaties »

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 02:51:40 AM »
I understand how you feel, however to move onto the next one in the playlist you only have to press one button that is the INC (Increment). Surely that would suffice.

Once the playlist is created, it is so easy to change the order, simply by moving the entries up or down. You donít need to type numbers in front of the file names to rearrange the order on the screen.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 05:57:28 AM »
I understand how you feel, however to move onto the next one in the playlist you only have to press one button that is the INC (Increment). Surely that would suffice.

Once the playlist is created, it is so easy to change the order, simply by moving the entries up or down. You donít need to type numbers in front of the file names to rearrange the order on the screen.

Well, that's something, but not much.

The Next feature of the sequencer loads the next bank and the first registration in its sequence all with one push of the pedal. And it does so regardless of which screen you have showing.

To use the Inc button, you need to:
1. Have the Playlist showing on the screen
2. Press Inc to move to the next song
3. Press Enter to load the registration bank
4. Press the pedal to load the first registration in the sequence

That convoluted combination makes it unusable in a gig setting, in my opinion.

Using the Next feature in a Playlist setting should move to the next song in the Playlist. Until Yamaha fixes this, I'll continue to use gig folders rather than the Playlist.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Online gerard

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:09:15 AM »
Fred,
What I do in each of my set lists in playlist is edit the record and select the registration sequence I start with, button 1, button 2, etc.
Then save the playlist.
1. Then when I start playing a set from the playlist, I LOAD the starting song.
2. Sometime during the song, I press INC.
3. When the song that I am playing ends, all I have to do is press LOAD, and the next song starts to play.
It is pretty easy once you get used to it.

Gerard

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
Fred,
What I do in each of my set lists in playlist is edit the record and select the registration sequence I start with, button 1, button 2, etc.
Then save the playlist.
1. Then when I start playing a set from the playlist, I LOAD the starting song.
2. Sometime during the song, I press INC.
3. When the song that I am playing ends, all I have to do is press LOAD, and the next song starts to play.
It is pretty easy once you get used to it.

I appreciate your working with me on this, Gerard, because it's nice to know about alternatives available. My problems with your system are:

1. You need to keep the Playlist screen open. Most of the time I need other screens, like the main screen or a lyrics screen.
2. You need to lift your hands from the keyboard. Whenever I do that, I screw up. One of the biggest benefits of registrations for me is they allow me to keep my hands on the keys. I can trigger everything automatically (multipads, tempo changes, key changes, going to the next page in my sheet music, etc.). But not next song in a playlist.

My real source of frustration is that the Genos implementation of the Next Song feature makes no sense. I'll bet if I polled Yamaha employees, 100% of them would say if you triggered Next Song with a Playlist loaded, it should go to the next song in the Playlist. In fact, most of them would say, what a stupid question -- of course that's what it should do.

But the Genos does not do what most people would think is obvious.

Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
Fred
can you create the playlist using SongBook+ and then control the gig from SongBook+ ?

You probably thought about this 10 different ways, just trying to prepare myself for when i get the Genos and determine in advance if this alternative would work. 

Please let me know if that is possible.

thanks in advance. 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Online gerard

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
I created set lists in Songbook+ and would be a good work around so the Genos screen can be what you need it to be.

Gerard

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
My understanding is that a single Playlist should contain all the data you need for a whole gig or set.  One Playlist will hold up to 2,500 records.  There should be no need to advance to the next Playlist.  That is not how itís designed.
Yamaha Genos, Nord Stage 3, Kurzweil SP6.
Thatís all folks!

Online stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »

Bill

Fred sorry to hear Playlist is not working the way it should for you.   I share Billís thoughts and chanting the order, itís really what Ihad been looking for but I will say Iím trying to get a handle on how I can use Playlist most effectively
GENOS, Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks[/u]

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 06:04:31 PM »
My understanding is that a single Playlist should contain all the data you need for a whole gig or set.  One Playlist will hold up to 2,500 records.  There should be no need to advance to the next Playlist.  That is not how itís designed.

Iím not advancing to the next playlist. I want to advance to the next song in the playlist.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 06:05:43 PM »
I appreciate your working with me on this, Gerard, because it's nice to know about alternatives available. My problems with your system are:

1. You need to keep the Playlist screen open. Most of the time I need other screens, like the main screen or a lyrics screen.
2. You need to lift your hands from the keyboard. Whenever I do that, I screw up. One of the biggest benefits of registrations for me is they allow me to keep my hands on the keys. I can trigger everything automatically (multipads, tempo changes, key changes, going to the next page in my sheet music, etc.). But not next song in a playlist.

My real source of frustration is that the Genos implementation of the Next Song feature makes no sense. I'll bet if I polled Yamaha employees, 100% of them would say if you triggered Next Song with a Playlist loaded, it should go to the next song in the Playlist. In fact, most of them would say, what a stupid question -- of course that's what it should do.

But the Genos does not do what most people would think is obvious.

Fred

I think Bachus would agree with you on this issue.  And if Yamaha is reading the threads on the forum... this; and other issues it will get "fixed" with a firmware updates.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:07:51 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 09:25:11 PM »
Iím not advancing to the next playlist. I want to advance to the next song in the playlist.

Fred,
You can do that just with the registration bank + button.
And select the registration when you are ready?

Or when you have a Gig, copy those registrations in to one folder.
And make a playlist from that folder.

You can also use the search function.
And add the item you searched to playlist
You can rename the registration if you want.
And the position move it up and down in your play list.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:37:27 PM by Wim NL »
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
Fred,
You can do that just with the registration bank + button.
And select the registration when you are ready?

You can also use the search function.
And add the item you searched to playlist
You can rename the registration if you want.
And the position move it up and down in your play list.

The Regist+ button does not move to the next song in the Playlist. It moves to the next registration in alphabetical order.

You need to read my initial post regarding your other suggestions.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Bill

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 03:02:20 AM »
Hi Fred

I do not think that Yamaha will ever "Fix" the problem we are talking about.

The Registration Sequence is obviously for Registrations. It can never be two separate things at the same time, otherwise the keyboard would not be able to decide if you are after Registrations or Playlist.  It think they could change the registration seq. to work on Playlists but that would not please many people.

There maybe a work around though.  If you were able to program a couple of CC Commands into say Reg button 10 this might send a control change to advance to the next playlist. 

Bill

England

GENOS

Online alfonata

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 03:35:33 AM »
To  move  qwick   I  use  the  turning  knob  next to ENTER

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 03:51:21 AM »
The Regist+ button does not move to the next song in the Playlist. It moves to the next registration in alphabetical order.

When you only have regstrations with only songs it will.

When your playlist is not in order

You can also use the NEXT button at SONG A or SONG B.
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »

You can also use the NEXT button at SONG A or SONG B.

That is correct. The Song Playlist works properly. Pressing the Next icon moves to the next song in the playlist.

Now if only the Registration Playlist did the same thing.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Regist Bank - and Regist Bank + works in Registration Bank modus (pusch Regist Bank - and +)

In the playlist you go to the next with the INC + button
and back with the - DEC button under the dial or with the dial and select by ENTER

Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 01:25:37 PM »
Regist Bank - and Regist Bank + works in Registration Bank modus (pusch Regist Bank - and +)

In the playlist you go to the next with the INC + button
and back with the - DEC button under the dial or with the dial and select by ENTER

Yes, these options have been identified several posts ago, and I've responded with my problems with them.

If you've got something new to suggest, I'm all ears.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ