Author Topic: gig disk / registrations  (Read 9657 times)

ekurburski

gig disk / registrations
« on: November 25, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »
As I prepare for my first gig out with the 3000 (1st gig of any kind in several years) I have been considering the best way to go with getting ready.  I'm thinking that I should save a gig disk of my own with the styles of about 18-20 tunes for my first set.  Once I have identified a tune I want to include, copy the style from gig list its on now to 'my 1st gig disk'.  I could then edit the individual tunes in the set by changing OTS, tempos and even modifying the style parts as I go along.  Later, I could add this style setup into a registration.  This all makes sense to me BUT not exactly sure how to create the gig disk.  Fairly certain it will make more sense as I go along and actually start doing it instead of just reading about it and thinking about it.

Earl

Offline Toril S

Re: gig disk / registrations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 04:56:58 PM »
Hello Earl! I did it this way: I copied all the styles I wanted for the gig disk into a folder, than named the styles with the name of the song I would use it for. Then you can edit the styles, - that is a little over my head, but the gig disk idea is great! Helped me a lot. Mind the small memory of the 3000, best to have the gig disk on a USB stick :) Good luck :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:38:02 PM »
Back when John Paul Jones joined the US Navy, I originated Gig Disks right here on this site. And, I used the same technique that Toril described, renaming certain style files that fit nicely to a song, then modifying those styles to make them unique to the song. Back then, I was using a PSR-740 and saved them on a floppy disk, hence the name Gig Disk. Each disk held about 30 style files.

Someone later came up with an idea about naming registrations gig disks, and I think it was Hammer (Deane Peters). Deane would create a number of registration banks and name each bank with a song name, then store them all in a single folder for certain performances.

Both methods work, and work well, especially when used in conjunction with third party style files, and with the newer keyboards, those third party style files can link from the USB drive to the Music Finder Directory, which is a bit plus.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »
I called you around 4:00 here,5 there.  Left a message that in fact there really wasn't much to talk about.  I really just need to spend more time playing with it.  There is so much loaded on the machine that everytime I spend time with it I find more.  For example, I had been looking for Sentimental Journey.   You didn't have it in the MF but I found it on one of your gig disks today. 

Just wondering, did you ever do Mac Davis's I believe in Music?  If so what style did you use?

Over all, I think that if I can get the first set together and start playing out it will all come together much quicker and in more depth.

Don't worry I will still make a pest of myself with stupid questions from time to time.  You guys have got me hooked again.

Earl

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:28 AM »
Earl, I tried to call  you back several times but kept getting your answering machine. I got tangled up in my oxygen lines and could not get to the phone before my answering machine kicked in, but couldn't make it in time. Sorry about that, but but maybe I can get in touch with you in the near future and help you get things worked out.

Gary 8)

Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 10:19:33 PM »
Gary, I've been putting oxygen off.  Not wearing it much lately.  Doc wants me to but seems to be more trouble than its worth.  I do understand not being able to answer the phone though. 

I've got the kb set up at the office.  Think I might have to bring it home.  Maybe ?I'll set it up in the back bedroom.

Earl

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 10:44:22 PM »
Earl, I must use supplemental oxygen most of the time, and can only go without it for short periods as long as I do not exert myself. If I exert myself, and do not have the oxygen handy, I must use the rescue inhaler to maintain consciousness. Believe me, I don't want to be tethered to a nasal oxygen line, but I have no choice at this stage of the game.

Bring the keyboard home, then plug it in, turn it on and give me a call while you are sitting next to the keyboard. It makes going through the menus much easier for both of us.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

ekurburski

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:37:28 PM »
Gary, sorry to hear that you're in such bad shape.  I'm lucky.  Other than being type 2 Diabetic I'm really in relatively good shape for 74.  I'm doing therapy after breaking 4 ribs but other than that I'm doing all right.

Earl