Author Topic: Problem with buttons on S910  (Read 252 times)

Offline Scott Langholff

Problem with buttons on S910
« on: November 23, 2017, 09:07:16 PM »
I just got a used S910 as a backup to my T4 and while I think it sounds pretty good I am very disappointed in the buttons which do not engage as they should.  I have never experienced anything like this in over 50 years of playing organ and keyboards and over 30 years of selling, teaching and performing on them.  So, in other words I have played a lot more different keyboards than most people and know what to expect.

There are about 20 buttons that seem to cause the most problem.  And the problem seems to be intermittent I guess having to do with how I hit the key.  Some buttons usually have the issue.  Most of the problem is around the screen affecting at least eight out of the ten buttons.  There are a couple reg mem buttons that almost always do not engage correctly.  #3 ots, the mic vol button, channel 1 and 6, the direct access buttons and the #2 Intro button are some that I jotted down during a test I did. But the most noticeable ones to me are the A-J buttons and the reg mem.

I have been trying to work around this by pressing extra hard and it seems to help, but it is not the way it's supposed to be and even then every several attempts to engage a button results in me having to hit the button again from two to seven times before it engages. 

I know the seller, who is without question trustworthy and he said he never had a problem with the buttons.  I believe him but suspect he unknowingly compensated by pressing harder than the norm and/or didn't change the sounds as much as I do during a song.

So, to me this idea of pressing hard and trying to hit the buttons is quite an aggravation plus I believe it will eventually destroy them.

I've been trying to figure out what the best thing to do is with this problem.  I would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem on the 910, 950, 970, etc.  This isn't typical of these models is it?  Looking for the best solution to this.

Thanks
Scott

Offline jtrue

Re: Problem with buttons on S910
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:53:06 AM »
When I switched from a 900 to a 910 I immediately noticed that the buttons on the 910 required more pressure to activate and this applied to all the buttons.  It did prevent accidentally triggering some action by lightly brushing over the button tops but it also meant occasionally failing to trigger a desired action by not pressing hard enough.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 05:20:13 AM »
Hello Scott! I had problems with a couple of buttons on my PSR 2100. I believe dust had collected around the button, so it became unresponsive. I solved this by having just a drop of water on a thin cloth, and drying of the sides of the button. They work fine now. But tear and wear on the buttons is most likely to cause this. It shouldn't happen, but sometimes do, unfortunately!
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline Joe H

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »
Try using a vacuum cleaner on the problem buttons.  That should do the trick.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
If there was not a problem with the buttons when the previous owner had the keyboard, there is the possibility that something happened during shipping, which is not unusual. The buttons surrounding the display are, if I recall correctly, part of the display's printed circuit board. Therefore, the buttons cannot not be replaced without replacing the entire display, which can be quite expensive.

Now, there are some ribbon connectors that connect to the board that connect the buttons. It would be very easy for them to vibrate lose during shipment and this has been reported in the past. The solution is to open the keyboard, and wiggle the connectors that attach to the printed circuit board.

Also, while the keyboard is open, a short blast of canned air beneath the buttons will help dislodge any dirt or dust that may hinder the contacts of the switch/button.

Lastly, you may wish to contact Yamaha's Service Department in California and talk with them about the problem. In the past, Yamaha had some problems with displays and replaced them at no charge. They just might be able to help determine where the problem lies here.

Hope this helps,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
I would just like to add to what Gary suggests, don't use the canned air without opening the board, the carrier agent in the can will stain the paint on the Panel.

BTW... Yamaha California charges $90.00 per hour labor charge + parts...  plus you pay the shipping both ways.  Unless you live near by, it's rather pricey to have Yamaha do the work.

Joe H
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:37:58 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html