Author Topic: PSRS 950 AND TYROS4 SUCCESSOR  (Read 28291 times)

Offline Jeff Hollande

PSRS 950 AND TYROS4 SUCCESSOR
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:17:12 PM »
Hi Guys,

It has been confirmed the S910 successor, the PSRS950 will be available in the European shops at the end of this year.
No specs yet. Early October 2012.

The Successor of the Tyros4 will be available at the end of 2013.
The brand name Tyros will no longer be applicable.

Best regards from The Netherlands, Jeff :)
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Bill Grosse

Re: PSRS 950 AND TYROS4 SUCCESSOR
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 06:05:43 AM »
Jeff,

No questioning your announcement, but we've heard this before.   ???

I received four announcements yesterday about the Olympic Virus, all saying it was verified by Snopes of course - all lied.  ;)

Bill G
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:07:05 AM by Bill Grosse »
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline ChinaLake

Getting our hopes again?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
Well, we all know it's bound to happen sometime!

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Nice to see you here! Hope all is well.

Thank you for the news about the 950 and next "Tyros" (or whatever).  I do hope Yamaha incorporates some very major uprades and improvements to their top of the line model. Seems to me that 2013 is a very long time to wait.  A 950 won't interest me much since it will likely be a stripped down T4. I'll bet a lot of players might like it, though!

Tom G.
Tyros 4

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:42 PM »
I'm one of those that would love a stripped-down Tyros 4.  Not too heavy to carry around on a daily basis, with good voices, styles, and a clear, bright, colorful screen, and a great-sounding built-in sound system.  Can't think of anything else needed.

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 04:33:44 AM »
The Midrange like a S950 is a very good overall compromise when you just dont want or have the $$$ to go top of the line like a Tyros
You still get a good board with very usable features ,nice screen ,and nice sound, plus on board speakers for those quick sessions when you just feel like playing
Mix in unlimited usb styles like the usb stick offer  from this site and countless others styles and that should keep you going for a while without boredom.
If your willing to settle a little and still have a good time the Midrange is a great bang for the buck

Keyboardist
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

NoteBender

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:16:43 PM »
From past releases it would appear that the PSR-S700 series is released at the same time as the PSR-S900 series.  Other than numbers of voices, styles, etc. what are the significant differences between the two models?  Or to put in another way, have the features of the S900 series been designed more for someone doing public performance?

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:06:17 PM »
Some of the differences between the S700 and the S900 are:
The S900 comes with Vocal Harmonizer  S700 does not
S900 has super articulation voices S700 does not
S900 can record audio in .wav format on a flashdrive. S700 can not.

I think those are probably the 3 biggest differences between the two boards though there are other differences like number of styles, etc.
But then the S700 can load and play styles from flashdrive so that kind of is equal to the S900 as far as styles go.

I believe either of those boards are fully capable for public performance.
Of course depending on what you want to do.
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, 1987 Strat+

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
I don't know about the 700 series; however, the S910 is certainly capable of carrying the day in live performance.  I use it as such several times a week.  And, love it.  I'm just ready for a new, model upgrade.  I had the Tyros 2 at one point and almost sprung for the Tyros 4.  Cost of the T4 was not the issue at all.  As a senior retiree, who totes everything solo, size and weight are a big deal.  Small, intimate parties (like in people's homes) are ideal for the built-in speakers----even tho' I do carry outboard powered speakers for larger occasions.  It doesn't bother me a bit to play the model below the flagship.  It does the job nicely.  I'm sure any upgrade model, if one shows, would be even better.  Who knows, if Yamaha would put a T5 in the frame of a light-weight 910, with a fabulous-sounding on-board speaker system, and even double or triple the price, I might go for it. 

NoteBender

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:49 AM »
I checked out both the Voice Harmonizer and the Super Articulation Voices on Youtube and I was amazed at what today's technology can do.

Although I wouldn't use the Voice Harmonizer I definitely see that the Super Articulation Voices would be nice to have, but I don't know if this alone could persuade me to spend the extra on the S910 over the S710.

Like others that are waiting and wishing, maybe a new S750 will have some S.A. Voices.  One can hope!

Offline hammer

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:50:01 AM »
I have owned the Tyros 3, the PSR S910 and now the Tyros 4.  My conclusion is that the PSR series is all one needs for doing the gigs I do - 100% senior venues.   In fact, the past 2 months my Tyros 4 has not left the house.  I have been using my Korg MicroArranger for gigs and the audiences absolutely love it.  It weighs 8 pounds folks!   If Yamaha's next S9XX series is a killer I will certainly be a customer because even though the Korg is filling the bill you just can't beat the community support for Yamaha keyboards - nothing like it for any other manufacturer. 

Here is a picture of the little KMA - why doesn't Yamaha sell something like this and still provide very outstanding built-in styles for it?

Deane

Offline Henni

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:32:56 PM »
Hi Jeff buddy,

Nice to hear from you my friend. I hope that this will be so, as I'm waiting in great anticipation for it. Maybe it might just get some of my attention away from my Korg (which I love) & get me focussed on Yamaha once again.

Keep well there in the Netherlands,
Henni

...Fly Forever!

Offline Henni

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:48 AM »
...Fly Forever!

schrodingers cat

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »
And those who know me know I do not lie - EVER - not even a white lie. All this negative hype about the Audya...B..s..t!!! I inform you today, it is AWESOME to put it mildly!

Let me stop here if I can...

Hi Henni,

I agree with you 100% ... I have been saying for the last two years that the Ketron Audya is 'light years' ahead of the competition ... just a shame it's so expensive in these days of little disposable income  :'(     but I'm saving hard for one at the moment ... I can't wait  ;)

All the best,

Mike

hawthorn

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 12:18:16 PM »
Hi Hammer

Slightly veering off topic can I ask you what the tablet/screen is on your keyboard? Also how have you attached it to the stand? i am considering an i-pad for reading lyrics as the terrible PSR music stands just collapse with the weight of the folder!!

thanks

Kevin

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
Slightly veering off topic can I ask you what the tablet/screen is on your keyboard? Also how have you attached it to the stand? i am considering an i-pad for reading lyrics as the terrible PSR music stands just collapse with the weight of the folder!!

Kevin,

If it helps, I use an iPad, connected to the keyboard's midi port. The stand is made by Gig Easy. By the way, I put lyrics in text files which the keyboard displays. Would this work for you?

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

hawthorn

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
Probably silly question, but why do you connect it to the tyros......what features can you use that way?
i was thinking of just putting all my lyrics on to the iPad using iworks I think its called.

thanks!

kevin

Offline RF

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »
In fact, the past 2 months my Tyros 4 has not left the house.  I have been using my Korg MicroArranger for gigs and the audiences absolutely love it.  It weighs 8 pounds folks!
Could you tell me about the sounds? Is it a bit like, you would turn back to a PSR 9000 or 8000?
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------
Yamaha PSR S 970 - Korg PA 900 and Micro Arranger (had Tyros 1/2),  Bose L1 compact,  HK Audio Lucas nano 300
I had Roland E50,  Technics KN 6000, Bohm Station 2, Wersi MK 1, Roland D 110, Yamaha YS 100

Offline hammer

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2012, 07:02:25 AM »
The Korg Microarranger sounds are typical Korg sounds.  If you have ever heard any of the Korg demos that would
be the sound.   I think the main difference my audiences are hearing and enjoying between my Tyros 4 and the Microarranger is the rhythm section of the Korg.  It is not just the drums but the entire rhythm section - bass, drums, etc..

Deane

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »
Probably silly question, but why do you connect it to the tyros......what features can you use that way?
i was thinking of just putting all my lyrics on to the iPad using iworks I think its called.

I use the iPad to display sheet music using an app called SongBook . I've created midi files which I reference in my registrations which automatically call up the right piece of sheet music, turn the page when necessary, etc. It works like a champ. You can see it in operation here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2EBIYZ1PA&feature=plcp

Regards,
Fred.
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Henni

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:32 PM »
Hi Deane,

I have to say, some styles that I've found for my Korg are just downright awesome. As much as I love my Audya, I can simply not be without those specific Korg styles. So for the first time in my life, I'll also operate with two arrangers at a time.

As for the Audya - she blows me away more with each passing day. I  cannot desribe in words how she sounds but say this: "Like a real band". Our music will never be the same again - it's taken a turn for the better. The "plastic" is finally out of it. When I'm ready & I'm allowed, I'll post a new recording over here to demonstrate.

We can't wait till I've set her up for live performances again & I'm well progressed towards that already.

Keep well all,
Henni
...Fly Forever!

Offline Bill Grosse

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Henni,

We will be waiting for your first posting of your audia songs.  8)

Bill G
I wasn't going to do anything today - so far, I'm on schedule, :)

Offline DonM

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I sent you some Korg styles converted to Audya format.  (I THINK they are anyway. I can't try them because I no longer have an Audya.)
DonM
DonM

Offline Henni

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 01:09:46 AM »
Hi DonM,

Thank you so much. I'm still new to the Ketron community & I must as yet find the appropiate links for all the new stuff available for it out there.

Hi Bill,

Thank you so much. I also look forward to post some music as this Audya is REALLY something! I will never turn my back on Yamaha and I HAVE to believe that they have something similar in the pipeline.

I apologize for all the Audya talk over here, but for the moment I'm completely overwhelmed.

Keep well all,
Henni
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:16:20 AM by Henni »
...Fly Forever!

Offline RF

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 06:40:27 AM »
Had opportunity to try the Micro Arranger.
About sound - it's always OK, it's usuable.
But I missed song book, I missed style editor and so it could be a second manual to my Tyros and maybe additional sounds and polyphony - but with this thing alone? Couldn't imagine.
EDIT: Downloaded manual and discovered, styles are editable. And many parameters more.
Santa, bring me a shrunken arranger keyboard....
EDIT 2:
It seems to be, that in Micro Arranger are some features not easy to find.
So I didn't discover, that the performance's name and the styles are editable or any style is replaceable.
About one thing I thought, it would be impossible. That I can set Ensemble (on Yamaha called "Harmony") that the first note is played by a trumpet (for example) and the second one by a saxophone (for example).
When I use it together with my Tyros 2 and has Dummy MIDI Files (only for transmitting controllers), I can automatize, that a Yamaha registration sets on Micro Arranger the right live parts and the right style.
The bigger Korgs can do this too.
By the way. I miss the "Expert" mode in accompaniment, it's the same, as AI fingered.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:30:18 PM by RF »
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------
Yamaha PSR S 970 - Korg PA 900 and Micro Arranger (had Tyros 1/2),  Bose L1 compact,  HK Audio Lucas nano 300
I had Roland E50,  Technics KN 6000, Bohm Station 2, Wersi MK 1, Roland D 110, Yamaha YS 100

Offline RF

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »
Well, the last time I could play an Audya, the styles were exciting because audio loops, but the sounds... in my humble opinion, as would a user of an older arranger play together with a real band.
Kind regards
Ronny F
--------------

Offline ChokDK

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
Hi Guys,

It has been confirmed the S910 successor, the PSRS950 will be available in the European shops at the end of this year.
No specs yet. Early October 2012.

The Successor of the Tyros4 will be available at the end of 2013.
The brand name Tyros will no longer be applicable.

Best regards from The Netherlands, Jeff :)
Hi Jeff
So far, you was right on the PSR950 ;)
Audio loops seemes to be one new thing we can expect in the new Ty... erhmm whatever it will be called  8)

Have you got more confirmed news about the "new one" since this post?  ;)
Regards
Chris
2/4 2/4 2/4 2/4 2/4 2/4 2/4! ;)