Author Topic: Headphone switch for Line Out?  (Read 419 times)

Offline maartenb

Headphone switch for Line Out?
« on: November 12, 2017, 06:59:17 AM »
Dear members,

When I plug a headphone in my Genos, the Yamaha HS monitors keep on playing. I delved through the menu's and manual, but can't find a way to change this.

On the Tyros 5 the Line Outs went silent when you plugged in a headphones, if you chose that setting in one of the menu's. Very handy.

How can I make my monitors go quiet when I plug in my headphones, without having to pull the cables from the Genos Line Outs or physically turn off each monitor each time?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

Offline mcbrown

Re: Headphone switch for Line Out?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »
Hi Maarten,
I found this attached image in the Reference Manual page 145. Hope this helps.

Murray
Genos & GNS-MS01 spkrs, TouchMix 30 Digital Mixer, Fender Strat, Music Man 210 75 guitar amp, Behringer GMX 212 Guitar amps & FCB1010, Behringer B1200D Sub & B205D f/b spkrs x 4, Boss GT-10 Guitar Effects, Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth, LD Systems MAUI 28 G2

Online DavidB

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
Hi Maarten,
I found this attached image in the Reference Manual page 145. Hope this helps.

Murray

Unfortunately as it says, that's only for the 'standard' speaker outputs and not the line outs.

I never had a tyros 5 but I'm pretty sure the line outs on my Tyros 4 would stay active with headphones connected.

Regards,
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

The following users thanked this post: Michael R

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 09:10:06 AM »
You can choose to have Line Outs go off on Tyros when headphones plug in. Function/Utility/config2 and highlight Line Out. Turn Headphone SW on or off. Don't know if this path helps in finding where it might be on Genos if Murray's suggestion does not do it.
John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:13:19 AM by jwyvern »

Offline zionip

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
Dear members,

When I plug a headphone in my Genos, the Yamaha HS monitors keep on playing. I delved through the menu's and manual, but can't find a way to change this.

On the Tyros 5 the Line Outs went silent when you plugged in a headphones, if you chose that setting in one of the menu's. Very handy.

How can I make my monitors go quiet when I plug in my headphones, without having to pull the cables from the Genos Line Outs or physically turn off each monitor each time?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

You are absolutely right.  I also have the same issue and there is no solution yet at firmware version 1.10.

I went through "Menu" - "Menu2" - "Utility" - "Speaker / Connectivity", there are 3 options for Speaker - Headphone Switch, On, Off.  No matter which option I chose, the external speakers connected to main L & R outputs of Genos continued to sound when I played with the headphones on.  So this is either a new feature, or it is a bug at the current firmware level.

There is only one obvious workaround - when you play using your headphones on Genos, do not forget to turn off your external speakers.

Paul

Offline valimaties

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 09:34:31 AM »
Hi Maarten,

You are absolutely right.  I also have the same issue and there is no solution yet at firmware version 1.10.

I went through "Menu" - "Menu2" - "Utility" - "Speaker / Connectivity", there are 3 options for Speaker - Headphone Switch, On, Off.  No matter which option I chose, the external speakers connected to main L & R outputs of Genos continued to sound when I played with the headphones on.  So this is either a new feature, or it is a bug at the current firmware level.

There is only one obvious workaround - when you play using your headphones on Genos, do not forget to turn off your external speakers.

Paul

In Tyros 5' reference manual it says clearly that those functions are for Line Out (Main). That is the text which appeare on T5 display, so is clearly it reference to main outputs and line out outputs.
On Genos if they write there speakers, I think they think to intrerupt signal only on speakers, and is not a good ideea. They have to revision that function and to intrerupt signal on all other ouput but no headphone when Headphone SW is selected. And the label must be "Speakers/Outputs".

Offline maartenb

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 09:56:23 AM »
Hi Murray, that only works for the GNS-MS01, not for Line Out.

I hope Yamaha addresses this in a firmware update.

Having said that, there is a difference between the complete Tyros range and the Genos: One could turn off the Tyros by cutting the power. The Genos on the other hand needs to be properly shut down by pressing the Standby/On button for a few seconds.

I had my Tyros and monitors on a switchable power extension socket that I could switch with my hand on the cupboard while the sockets are on the floor. With one push of the button the Tyros and monitors switched on and off.

Since the Genos needs to be shut down, I put the keyboard on a permanent power socket now while the monitors are still on the switchable extension sockets. This is to prevent accidentally cutting the power to the Genos before shutting down. So as a workaround I can now use the switch to cut the power to the monitors.

I'd still love a firmware update, though.

Maarten

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
Unless Yamaha can come up with a solution to the headphone/line out issue, a monitor controller might be a way to go. This one linked has the ability to have another input feed the monitors, such as from an audio interface or computer line out or feed a different set of monitors.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigKnobPass

I purchased a Behringer monitor controller for my recording setup that has a few more features than the Mackie unit.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CONTROL2USB

The following users thanked this post: maartenb