Author Topic: Missing Playlist record sort option?  (Read 576 times)

Offline StuartR

Missing Playlist record sort option?
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed or solved. After adding several thousand records to a Genos playlist I find that I can't seem to sort the records. The only option provided is to be able to move one record at a time.

Is this a known limitation or am I missing something obvious?

Do any of the third party registration management tools solve this problem?

Offline valimaties

Re: Missing Playlist record sort option?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed or solved. After adding several thousand records to a Genos playlist I find that I can't seem to sort the records. The only option provided is to be able to move one record at a time.

Is this a known limitation or am I missing something obvious?

Do any of the third party registration management tools solve this problem?

Even if does not have an sort option (which will be great to have it), I think is difficult at the beginning ( when you convert music finder ) in the rest, after you save the new playlist record, you can manualy reposition that record and save the playlist. It's only a record ;)

Online DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:57:25 AM »
So are you saying you can not enter a KEYWORD to a song in the playlist?

For instance you can't enter a key word such as: SET01 and then call up only the songs with that keyword?

Offline StuartR

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
Even if does not have an sort option (which will be great to have it), I think is difficult at the beginning ( when you convert music finder ) in the rest, after you save the new playlist record, you can manualy reposition that record and save the playlist. It's only a record ;)

That doesn't help when adding hundreds of records as I was.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
So are you saying you can not enter a KEYWORD to a song in the playlist?

For instance you can't enter a key word such as: SET01 and then call up only the songs with that keyword?

I believe you can do that but that isn't related to my observation that you can't sort a large list of playlist entries.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:12:46 AM by StuartR »

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
Although I don't have a Genos, I downloaded the Bonus Playlist for Genos from the Yamaha website.

The actual playlist file seems to be an ASCII Tab Separated Value text file (extension '.tsv').

This can be opened in MS Excel after specifying that is is a delimited file and that the delimiter is Tab.

You can then sort the file as required (there is a header row so don't include that in the sort).

You can then save the sorted file using 'Save As' and ignoring the warning about losing features if you save in this format.

As I said at the beginning, I don't have a Genos, so I can't check to see that a playlist modified as above will work correctly.

However it must be possible to load an external Playlist from USB to Genos (or why provide the download!), so hopefully you can also save/export the current Playlist to USB.

If you can do the latter, then the above method might allow you to sort a list, in the apparent absence of an internal Genos function to do so!

Regards

Ian

Online Jørgen

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »
Hi

All correct... but there are two columns more: "REGIST" and "OPENVIEWER".

I do not know what these means - have not a Genos - the values are always "0" and "OFF" respectively.

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline StuartR

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 11:53:03 AM »
Although I don't have a Genos, I downloaded the Bonus Playlist for Genos from the Yamaha website.

The actual playlist file seems to be an ASCII Tab Separated Value text file (extension '.tsv').

This can be opened in MS Excel after specifying that is is a delimited file and that the delimiter is Tab.

You can then sort the file as required (there is a header row so don't include that in the sort).

You can then save the sorted file using 'Save As' and ignoring the warning about losing features if you save in this format.

As I said at the beginning, I don't have a Genos, so I can't check to see that a playlist modified as above will work correctly.

However it must be possible to load an external Playlist from USB to Genos (or why provide the download!), so hopefully you can also save/export the current Playlist to USB.

If you can do the latter, then the above method might allow you to sort a list, in the apparent absence of an internal Genos function to do so!

Regards

Ian

Great idea. I'll give that a try and report back.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
Hi Jørgen,

In the Playlist Record Edit display, there are options listed under  'Action' to 'Load Regist Memory', which allows you to select a registration memory button to load, and 'View' which allows you to select Score, Lyrics or Text (file?).

I assume that the 'REGIST' column holds the number of the Registration Memory button in the bank (probably using a 0 to 9 numbering to represent button 1 to 10).

I assume that the 'OPENVIEWER' holds the screen viewer for the relevant file type (Score, Lyrics or Text) if one is set.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:13:41 PM by tyrosaurus »

Online DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 01:01:59 PM »
This sounds like ONE step forward and TWO giant steps backwards. ::)

If you can't use KEYWORDS ... it is a total waste of time for Yamaha going to a Playlist only. I won't be getting a new PSR for a few years anyway but I am sure Yamaha will go to using only a Playlist in the next PSR keyboard model.

I guess I would have to make up some 20 playlists in text files. Then some how figure out how to call one of them up each hour to do a 3 hour gig. Crazy.

Offline StuartR

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
This sounds like ONE step forward and TWO giant steps backwards. ::)

Yes you can use keywords, i.e. Tags

If you can't use KEYWORDS ... it is a total waste of time for Yamaha going to a Playlist only. I won't be getting a new PSR for a few years anyway but I am sure Yamaha will go to using only a Playlist in the next PSR keyboard model.

I guess I would have to make up some 20 playlists in text files. Then some how figure out how to call one of them up each hour to do a 3 hour gig. Crazy.

Offline kla4

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:40 AM »
How I solved this issue :

Genos converts an MF file into a 'playlist' and for each record a Registration-file.
The conversion-tool adds a four digit number and a '_' at the left of the record names e.g. "0023_Besame Mucho" what makes alphabetical sort on songname impossible.

In fact the Playlist file contains all records and links to the registration with the same name.
Once you change the registration name.... the Playlist cannot find the registration.

I deleted all (converted) playlists because the are useless. (no sort, no search etc.)
Using the PC it is very easy to cut the first 5 characters of the filenames, so '0023_Besame Mucho'  becomes 'Besame Mucho' and sorting is easy.

In the registration menu there is a 'search' option and every songname contains a registration.

So I put all MF files into one folder, converted them with a result of 4560 records. Skip the doubles and put the registrations into 2 folders. (max is 2500 files per folder)

It works great and now you can start to build your own Playlists.
Genos, Viscount Legend Live,  Cubase 9, MSP7's, SW10, QU-16, Bose L1's, EV 18"sub

Offline valimaties

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 06:02:19 AM »
How I solved this issue :

Genos converts an MF file into a 'playlist' and for each record a Registration-file.
The conversion-tool adds a four digit number and a '_' at the left of the record names e.g. "0023_Besame Mucho" what makes alphabetical sort on songname impossible.

In fact the Playlist file contains all records and links to the registration with the same name.
Once you change the registration name.... the Playlist cannot find the registration.

I deleted all (converted) playlists because the are useless. (no sort, no search etc.)
Using the PC it is very easy to cut the first 5 characters of the filenames, so '0023_Besame Mucho'  becomes 'Besame Mucho' and sorting is easy.

In the registration menu there is a 'search' option and every songname contains a registration.

So I put all MF files into one folder, converted them with a result of 4560 records. Skip the doubles and put the registrations into 2 folders. (max is 2500 files per folder)

It works great and now you can start to build your own Playlists.

Please someone provide a playlist file converted from MF... I think there are some settings missing here  :-\
And please provide a little playlist made directly in Genos, with Lyrics/Text, autoload registry number, etc... ;)

Maybe we can make a little software that would also combine multiple playlist files, or make a sort to a converted file from MF...