Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 223 times)

Offline ekurburski

Is it possible?
« on: November 10, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
Can I call up midi voices from vst's to replace voices in a style?
Or can I call up midi voices from vst's to replace voice 1, 2 or left hand & bass
I realize I can replace any voice if I save the song to a midi and edit in a DAW but it would sure be nice to be able to do it live on the fly.

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
It might be possible, but it depends on your equipment and setup.

You need a computer (or laptop or tablet) to run the virtual instruments and effects, because you can't run them on the keyboard, therefore you must connect your keyboard to a computer via MIDI so you can send the keyboard's MIDI data to a DAW or other virtual instrument host.

I don't think you'll be able to prevent an individual style track from playing on your keyboard while simultaneously sending that channel's MIDI to the computer, so I think you'll need to turn off the keyboard's LOCAL CONTROL setting so it doesn't make any sounds when you play on it, and send all keyboard and style parts to the computer. In your DAW, set up separate MIDI tracks for each of the MIDI channels that you're receiving from the keyboard. Then for any given track you can either send its MIDI back to the keyboard to be played, or to a virtual instrument to be played.

If you intend to manage all of this during a live performance, you might want to use additional MIDI controllers with pads or buttons that can be programmed to do things like enable (arm) or disable (mute) any given track in the DAW, or to send other types of MIDI messages (such as Bank Select, Program Change, and Control Change) to any given MIDI track.

For instance, say you want to be able to easily and quickly route channel 12 of the keyboard's MIDI to one of four possible destinations: (1) back to the keyboard itself; (2) to some virtual instrument; (3) to some other virtual instrument; or (4) to some other keyboard or hardware sound module. The simplest way to do it would probably be to set up four different MIDI tracks in your DAW, with each of those tracks receiving channel 12 of your keyboard, then set each track's MIDI output to one of the four possible destinations. Then you can mute all of the tracks except the one that sends channel 12 to wherever you want it to go. If your additional MIDI controller has buttons assigned to mute or arm each track, you can use those buttons to select between the different outputs, or even layer two or more of them together.

Of course, you'll also need to have the computer's audio output going to your loudspeakers, and you might need a mixer so you can mix the audio coming from your computer with the audio coming from the virtual instruments.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
OK, So it may be possible but is it practical?  Sounds llike NOT!  So onto other concepts.

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Online travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
Sorry Earl, it's a lot more work than the results it will produce. That's the reason I only did it once.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...