Author Topic: Do freeplay styles work in the DGX-670?  (Read 254 times)

Offline p$manK32

Do freeplay styles work in the DGX-670?
« on: May 21, 2024, 08:42:31 AM »
Has any DGX-670 owner had success using a freeplay style such as “Ethereal Movie” or “On Broadway” ?

I don’t own a 670 right now (considering it instead of a Genos2). I am aware from previous posts here that it does load SFF2 styles from SX and that SX600 styles possibly worked the best.  I was wondering if there was anything unusual about the freeplay style format that wouldn’t work well in the DGX?

Rich
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:49:55 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, DGX-640, E373

Offline Graham UK

Re: Do freeplay styles work in the DGX-670?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2024, 09:26:29 AM »
Rich. Yes, Most Freestyles do work in my DGX670.
In fact all the Tyros 5 Styles and even early PSR3000 work very good.

The DGX670 Menu button pushing took awhile for me to get used to but I now I'm fine.
You can edit Styles but there is no option to alter OTS,s
I save my favorite voices in the RGTs with the Style unticked means I can play any selected style with any of my favorite Voice RGTs.

Past 50 years I have owned top end arrangers but the weighted key-bed on the DGX has been a game changer for me.
Had my DGX for 2 years and would not change it. Voice samples are very good and overall Excellent value.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 09:32:45 AM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: flailman, p$manK32

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 06:22:06 PM »
Graham,

I have another question at the bottom of my long post here. Good to know that freeplays and other styles work. That’s big. I read some of your past comments about the button pushing and see that you got used to it. The interface on the 670 looks well thought out and I find I’m doing a lot of button pushing and touch screen navigating on the SX anyway.

I plan to keep my SX900 and add a digital piano because the SX pianos just don’t cut it for me. I find myself using piano quite often on the SX and thought the DGX would be a great hybrid of digital piano and arranger features. My initial idea was to replace the SX900 with a Genos2, however G2 is just so expensive and the 670 would offer a better piano experience in my opinion. Eventually I might sell the SX if the DGX better suits me, but we will see. I would have to evaluate if I still need the more powerful style & registration flexibility the SX900 has.

I have an old DGX-640 in the house and notice I do like the weighted keys, even for lead instruments like sax I think it’s fine. I find myself using non-piano leads like sax, brass, organ, synth much less than piano. 88 weighted keys just has so much more presence and expressiveness than 61 synth style keys. The 640’s action was always extremely noisy, so hoping Yamaha has improved this on the 670.

I read on this forum the 670 has only 20MB of user memory. I calculated that if most styles average 70 KB per style then I would be able to fit as many as 285 styles in the user area. Probably less than that because I am not figuring in registrations. I prefer to use internal user memory instead of USB sticks when playing. If I could fit even just 50 styles in User I would be happy. Do you find the internal memory sufficient for your needs, or are you relying on USB sticks to access external styles and registrations when playing?

Rich

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 06:31:42 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, DGX-640, E373

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2024, 06:40:35 PM »
Hi Rich --

I've created/modified Free Play styles and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't play correctly on DGX-670.

Technically, there aren't any special features or format within a Free Play style. Details are available here:

https://sandsoftwaresound.net/freeplay-style-deconstructed/

Probably the main characteristics: long MAIN sections that hold notes and MIDI CC expression to change timbre dynamically. No rhythm.

Hope this info helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: flailman, p$manK32

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:22:38 AM »
Rich. We all have different ways of working.
I keep possibly 50+ favorite styles. Remember you can mute or re-voice style parts to give variation.
I use a lot of Piano in MAIN with PAD or choir in LAYER.

My DGX keys are not noisy.

User Memory I use for editing only, everything else is on USB.
Folder Styles (of interest)
Folder RGT & STY (Styles used in Registration I keep together in this folder)
Folder RGT Voices (My favorite voices saved with STY not-ticked)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:09:03 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks Graham. If I decide to get this keyboard later this year I will have to get used to using USB more to play from due to the small user memory.

I’ve seen enough feedback from users & reviews that Yamaha has definitely revamped the whole instrument including the keybed since the 640 days.

I have similar voice registrations (style unticked) on my current SX900. I will probably have less of these on the 67O as it will be more of a piano focused keyboard. It would be interesting to compare both keyboards side by side and see how they compare, as they certainly have similarities and differences. There are also some interesting comments in this section of the forum comparing the 670’s VRM CFX to the Genos CFX.

Rich
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:36:57 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, DGX-640, E373