Author Topic: Being a New User - I'm Asking Lots of Questions  (Read 669 times)

Offline stitch-up

Being a New User - I'm Asking Lots of Questions
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:54:06 AM »
As many will know, learning the way around the Tyros 5 is what seems to be a continual learning curve! Having said that, it's part of the fun and what makes the Tyros 5 such fun.

I'm approaching my 65th birthday in December and this is my first keyboard since the Technics KN6000 of many years ago. My KN6000 'expired' about 15 years ago so, as you can imagine, the Tyros 5 is a huge leap forward.

As a child and into my teens I was 'forced' to endure piano lessons and I really didn't enjoy them. More often than not, I'd make sure I was out when the piano teacher arrived, hence, I didn't learn very much :) I can't read music!! In hindsight of course I regret not sticking with the lessons.

A typical evening for me, like last night, I sit down at the keyboard about 8:30pm and the next time I look at the clock it's 1:30am!!!

I learn chords and various progressions. I do this firstly without any styles. Often, I will play a sequence of chords and a tune springs to my mind, I then concentrate on playing the tune and finally add a style. This can be hugely time consuming although very enjoyable. The problem I have is that when I return to the keyboard the next day, I've forgotten much of what I learned the day before and in particular I rarely remember the style I used!

I know I should be making notes and keep records but that's boring :) May I ask how you guys operate? I was wondering whether I could make a copy of the Style and rename it to the title of the song and save it somewhere on the keyboard or USB memory stick?

Sorry, I'm rambling :)

Cheers

John
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline DerekA

Re: Being a New User - I'm Asking Lots of Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:18:50 AM »
Registrations are your friend here.

One good option is to dedicate a registration bank to a song. You can give the bank a name, and each of the 8 slots in the bank can also have a name.  For each slot, you can choose whether it saves the style + section, the voicing, or both. So you might have a slot for the first verse, one for the first chorus, etc.

With a USB stick, you can store thousands of registrations so there's no practical limit - you can just save whatever you're doing whenever you want.

There's lots of info about using registrations on this site - try here:

http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/playing/regist/index.html

Offline stitch-up

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:49:55 PM »
Thanks Derek for pointing me in the right direction :)
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline Stijn

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 03:19:06 AM »
Hello John,

You're right. So many things to learn. And you can easily learn lots of them on this site, nicely demonstrated by Mike Mixon:
http://www.keyboardamerica.co/tyros-5-lessons.html

A bit downwards and to the left; look for the arrow 'Start here' and off you go....  ;)

You will quickly get on the right track and I'm sure you will enjoy exploring your Tyros 5.

Have fun.
Stijn.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:21:54 AM by Stijn »
One good thing about music; when it hits you, you feel no pain.

Offline stitch-up

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:10 PM »
Hello Stijn

Thanks very much for your reply and the link, that is very useful :)

I'm not receiving notifications when a reply is posted and that's why I may seem slow in replying :)

Thanks again for the very helpful reply.

Regards

John
Tyros 5 Since May 2017

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:44:52 PM »
Hello John,

Here's some interesting info for beginners regarding all sorts of things on your keyboard. The lessons ar not always for the Tyros 5 alone but that doesn't matter since it works more or less the same on any Yamaha arranger :)

http://psrtutorial.com/lessons/index.html

Just follow the links on this page and make sure you check all tabs at the top as well (especially the tabs "playing" and "workshop"). I think you will find it very useful. There is a lot about registrations among other things :D

regards,
Peter 8)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:45:53 PM by XeeniX »

-----
There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let people get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.
-----

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 06:00:58 AM »
You can simply rename a style ( with a song name if you like) and save it to a user file on memory.
Mike

Offline TyrIA

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »
Hi !

You can look at tyrostipsters.co.uk - video tutorials.
It s a lot of info and video shows exactly how to proceed it.

Enjoy your T-5 , regards, TyrIA.

Offline stitch-up

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:07 AM »
Yes, I look at TyrosTipsters quite often :)

As you say, a lot of info to take in :)

Thanks
Tyros 5 Since May 2017