Author Topic: setup for two midi programs  (Read 198 times)

Offline ekurburski

setup for two midi programs
« on: November 06, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
I am tinking of setting up song file on ipad using songbook+.  I also want to run several vst's to a seperate keyboard controller. 

1.  Can I do this on the ipad of do I need to a pc settup?

2.  What connections do I d\need to have the 3000 talk to the songbook and still be  able to call up a vst to the controller.

3.  Will I need the controller to play through a audio interface or can I go direct to the pc without latance?

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline Roy_T

Re: setup for two midi programs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:39:29 AM »
Earl

Even though, in your more recent thread, regarding OpenText, you seem to have indicated that you have decided against using the iPad, I will attempt to answer these questions for you or others who may be thinking of investing time and/or finances in this direction.

With the current state-of-the-art of the iPad/iPod/iPhone Operating System (iOS), those few apps that do supposedly support VSTi plug-ins, require those plug-ins to be written in that particular app's iOS format.  If you are interested in, and willing to limit your VSTi repertoire to, that app's after-market (In-app purchase) VSTi plug-ins, then this will be no problem, but if you are intent on using your vast investment in PC-based VSTi plug-ins, then that will not work.  PC-based VSTi plug-ins will not currently run in the iOS environment.

While there may be any number of adapters and adapter cables and PC MIDI set up schemes (MIDI THRU) that will allow you to connect two or more keyboards to an iPad, both the iPad and its apps tend to get a bit cantankerous when they are connected to more than one external device at a time.  As a matter of fact, iOS devices and their apps were basically designed, and therefore prefer, to work standalone, so the more external devices you connect them to at the same time, the more contrary they become.  While it can be, and is, done, I am not sure it is something the average user would want to struggle with.  As I stated in my response to your OpenText thread, you would be best to connect the iPad to the PSR-3000 for SongBook+, and the MIDI controller keyboard to the laptop for playing VSTi's - or just use the laptop for both your sheet music app and playing your VSTi's.

An audio interface is no guarantee against latency problems, other than the fact that the better ones usually come with superior audio drivers.  The primary concerns with latency are a fast PC (processor) and a fast audio chipset.  These, along with superior audio drivers and proper audio buffer settings, should allow for a low latency direct USB connection to the PC, but I think that there are others, here on the forum, much more experienced than me, on this subject, and in a much better position to advise you on that.

Roy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:27:20 PM by Roy_T »

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 02:02:50 PM »
Thank you Roy.  A lot of good info for me to consider as I go forward.
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 02:14:39 PM »
Some PC/MAC DAWs have iPad apps that can be used to remotely control certain functions of the DAW; check the DAW's website to see if such an app is available. And even if the DAW's publisher doesn't have such an app themselves, there are third-party apps that might be able to turn your iPad into a remote-control touch screen for your PC/MAC DAW. You might need to have everything connected on a network, or else use Bluetooth to communicate between the iPad and PC/MAC.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443