Author Topic: MIDI files and a link to style section. Problem solved!  (Read 590 times)

Offline Toril S

MIDI files and a link to style section. Problem solved!
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:11:34 AM »
Hello friends!
I just found an easy method to call up styles, only to discover that it works only partly. I have recorded many MIDI songs, and installed them on the keyboard. When I highlight the song, the keyboard switches to the correct style. This is very convenient when I am out performing! When I call up a song, the keyboard is all set. But this only worked  for the preset styles yesterday. I tried several times. Then it suddenly worked for all songs and styles! Now it doesn't work again. How do I make it work reliably for styles in the user section? I really really really do hope this can be done!!! I use very many imported styles now! Keyboard is S970. I suspect my operating system is faulty.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 02:08:15 PM by Toril S »
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Offline Toril S

Re: MIDI files and a link to style section. Please help anyone!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
It must be something wrong with the OS. Why else would the keyboard sometimes do this and sometimes not? This is almost a deal breaker!
Toril S

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
It can only do this if the style used is in the current keyboard and will not do this with 3rd party styles.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:09 PM »
Gary is correct.

However, you can easily do what you want with registrations.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:01:30 AM »
Thanks, Gary and Fred. The very strange thing is that it can do it with SOME of the imported styles i have put in the user section, but not all! That is why I thought the OS was faulty. All the styles are from Yamaha. I am disappointed over this, but that's life! The reason I wanted to do this is: I make a MIDI file with chord progressions and so on, and call up that, them play the Melody. Or I play along with a MIDI song to learn it. Then it is convenient if the keyboard sets itself to the correct style when I call up the MIDI file. That way it could work almost as the Music Finder, which have to small letters for me to use.
Toril S

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »
Hi Toril S,

I agree with Fred about using Registrations for this.

You can include both a style and a MIDI song in a registration, so when you select such a reg. both the style and MIDI are loaded.

The styles and MIDIs can be stored in any folder on any drive (Preset, User, USB) and don't have to be the same location.

A registration bank (of 8 reg. buttons) can be saved with the name of a song or whatever you want to easily identify it.

If you use a whole bank for each song then they will appear on the Registration File Selection Screen 10 to a 'page', just like styles, voices, songs etc, which you say you are able to see.   

They will be displayed in alphabetical order, no matter in what order the regs. are made, so whenever you add new regs, they will automatically be 'sorted' in the display without you having to do anything else.

Even if you only use 1 of the 8 buttons in each reg. bank, don't worry about wasting space, since the files are small and you can fit many of them on even the smallest USB stick.

You will be able to put up to 500 in a single folder but a smaller number is better, say 400.   If you need more than this just create another folder/s.

To me registrations are the obvious way to help your problem.   Try it first by setting up a few songs to see how it works for you.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:31:56 PM »
Thanks Ian! Seems there is no way around those regs☺I obviously have to overcome me reluctance to use registrations. It sounds as if they can do what I want. I did not know that I could save MIDI songs in regs. Have some learning to do☺
Toril S

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »
Hi Toril S,

I suspect that spending a little time learning about Registrations will be time very well spent, and after doing so you may think to yourself 'why did I not do this sooner'!

To include the MIDI song and style that are currently loaded in the keyboard, you need to make sure that both 'Song' and 'Style' groups are checked in the 'MEMORY GROUP SELECT' table that appears when you press the 'MEMORY' button to start the registration memorisation process.  The Left voice part is included in the 'Style' group, but if you want to include the Right 1 & 2 voices, you will need to check the 'Voice' group too.

Remember that registrations only contain links to the location of the MIDI and style, so once you have memorised a reg., if you move, delete or change the name of a MIDI or style included in a reg., you will need to memorise the reg. again after loading the MIDI or style from it's new location or with it's new name!

You can read about memorising panel settings to registrations and saving the results as a 'Registration Bank' file in the section 'Registration Memory  Saving and Recalling Custom Panel Setups' starting on page 85 of the English version of the PSR-S970/770 Owner's Manual.

Regards

Ian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
Thanks again Ian☺
Toril S

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 02:06:50 PM »
Hello friends. just a little update: The same day as I started this thread I also sent the problem to Yamaha support. I got my answer today, and they said the same as you guys, but it is good to see that they answer their costumers :)
Toril S