Author Topic: USB Songs  (Read 386 times)

Offline Rappers

USB Songs
« on: November 04, 2017, 01:52:25 PM »
Hi

I would be grateful if anyone can shed some light why my USB which contains several MIDI songs will only register on my keyboard 5 songs. I have checked the USB and the other songs are on there with plenty of memory still left on the stick.

Thanks.

Rappers

Online Toril S

Re: USB Songs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
Hello Rappers! Check the file names. If they are too long, that may be why your keyboard will not register them. Try changing the file name of the songs :)
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline Rappers

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 03:04:41 PM »
Brilliant!!!

Thanks Tony.

Now if could find a way to save from my USB to keyboard I would be really in heaven.

Offline jtrue

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:49:31 PM »
MIDI songs can easily be copied from USB to the "User" memory area on the keyboard.  If you will indicate which model keyboard you have someone can probably provide detailed guidance.  But...   Other than Tyros/Genos, that have hard disk drives, most keyboards have only a limited amount of on-board memory so many users prefer to permanently keep songs, styles, voices, registrations, etc. on a USB because it has much greater capacity.  Just be sure to make a backup or two.  The small style USB drives like this  http://www.verbatim.com/prod/usb-drives/everyday-usb-drives/netbook-usb-drive-sku-97464/ can be left in place with little risk of damage.  If you expect to change USBs frequently you might want to connect it via a short extension cable like this http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/2ft-usb-2-0-extension-cable-a-male-right-angle-to-a-female.html to minimize wear and tear on the keyboard's USB port.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline Rappers

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »
Many thanks for your response. I have a S710 and it appears there is a facility for copying songs but I guess I will have to study the manual further. No big deal I suppose as the USB will accommodate plenty of songs...just a thought.

Rappers

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:01:29 PM »
Hi Rappers,

You can use the Copy/Paste functions available on the Song  'File Selection Display' to copy MIDI songs from a USB stick to the S710 'User' drive  as described in the section 'File Selection Display Configuration' starting on page 25 of the Owner's Manual, and 'File Management' starting on page 59.

However, as 'jtrue' has already tried to explain to you, the USER drive is typically very small on keyboards of this generation.  In fact the User drive on the S710 is only 1.4 MB (yes that really is 1.4 megabytes)!  The number of songs that this would accommodate obviously depends on the length of each song, but as an example, it would only be enough to store 4 songs of the maximum length allowed (300 KB)!

So you should consider using a USB drive (which can hold very many more files) as your 'storage' drive and use the 'User' drive just for temporary 'workspace'.

Obviously you would then need to keep the USB connected to the keyboard to have access to the files, but as jtrue also explained, you can get USB drives which are physically very small and hardly stick out from the keyboard socket at all when connected, which greatly reduces the risk of them getting knocked in use and damaging the drive or keyboard socket.

BTW the maximum length of filename allowed on Yamaha's OS is 50 characters.  However this includes the final characters used for the file extension. For MIDI songs this is '.mid' (4 characters), so the actual name of a song should be no more than 46 characters if you want the keyboard to list it!

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:03:06 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Rappers

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:54:09 AM »
Thanks Ian, a very articulate response which clearly identifies some of the issues I am facing. Fascinating machines these keyboards although they do have their limitations. Whilst I love the technical aspects there is so much to learn and even the manual does not cover every nuance.

I first started playing keyboards some 30 years ago, my how they have progressed. Sadly my keyboard skills have not progressed as much...but still love them.

Thank you J as well.

Rappers