Author Topic: keyboardplayers genos demo  (Read 1455 times)

Offline chuckeys123

keyboardplayers genos demo
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
This guy really knows how to get everything out of an arranger keyboard       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY7ytzcxlMA

The following users thanked this post: Keyboardist, Taffinator

Offline gerard

Re: keyboardplayers genos demo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:24:10 AM »
This is by far the best demo yet!
Mainly using the styles and one touch settings only.

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
if you are not aware of this guy, go to his youtube page at keyboardplayer. ...Hours of tyros demos that seem to be a stream of consciousness

Offline robs68

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:25:42 AM »
He usually does mini concerts on youtube live on sundays, later afternoon or evenings.  Live chat, he will take requests.. Excellent performer.

Offline alans

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »
This is by far the best demo yet!
Mainly using the styles and one touch settings only.

Yes,I have to agree,this guy shows off the Genos really well,enjoyed every minute !!

😀😀

Thanks for finding this

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:43 AM »
Good player! Nice jazz fusion-y style somewhere around 29:30.

-- pj

Offline Mjm

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:15 AM »
Wow, great demo! Very wide ranging, and very proficient player. Well done! 😊

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
I spend +/- 1 hour with the Tyros Genos today, the first 40 minutes I streamed live as you can see or have seen (it came straight out the box).

As stated in in the description: the aux-output on the Genos is a bit louder than on my Tyros4 (for which the capture device is configured), so I was not very happy when I noticed the distortion afterwards in some louder parts. But nevertheless, compared to my Tyros 4 this is soundwise quite a big improvement. In the nuances you can clearly notice the improved DSP's. Controls are easy (love the big sliders), although I think the touchscreen is a little laggy, especially compared to physical buttons or what everyone is used to iPad-wise.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:01:09 AM by Keyboardplayer »

The following users thanked this post: Ed B, Keyboardist

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
Hi Keyboardplayer,
Thanks for the brilliant demo.  It seems that you are very knowledgeable with Yamaha keyboards, any chance creating some tutorial videos and pass down your knowledge?

Paul

Offline Pianoman

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 06:51:00 AM »
I would love to hear Styles that can be used for audiences of all ages and ethnicity.
Meaning audiences at live gigs between the ages of 21 upwards.
And also where the demonstrator does not drown out the styles when playing. The small nuances in the Styles are as important if not more important as the sounds. Most top of the line arrangers have phenomenal sounds anyway. Styles such as Rock, RocknRoll, Soul, Reggae, Hip Hop, Funk, Blues, Rythm and Blues, Electronic Dance,
Blues Rock and more, need to be shown more, to attract musicians under the age of 50.

I have almost given up searching on YouTube and on forums for demos that show something other than 1920s music.
It would be nice if someone would make a video that just runs one style after the other. WITHOUT playing a single note. That way we can see what styles the Genos has to offer.
I won't see an actual Genos before December or maybe even January here..
It would be wonderful to hear all Styles before making a decision to buy an instrument.
Especially at today's prices.

Pianoman.

Offline alans

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 11:03:13 AM »
Hi keyboardplayer

Really enjoyed your demo ,also viewed your previous Tyros 4  vids,great playing.

Why aren't you working for Yamaha !! 😁😁

Many thanks

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 01:58:12 PM »
Pianoman, most folks under the age of 50 will NOT likely be a Genos consumer - and they likely will never purchase ANY keyboard. Most cannot afford the Genos. If they purchased it, they would not be able to drive that new, leased car, have the latest I-phone, pay the mortgage and feed their families. It's the way things are these days, and there's no changing it, or at least that's the way it seems to me. The under 50 folks want everything NOW! An arranger keyboard that has a steep learning curve is not likely on their wish list.

Sorry to burst your bubble,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »
pianoman, I also feel there is a wide open  and unused (to my knowledge) market  for arrangers. When you put an entertaining, good voice out front, hold the music down with your left, and use your right to color the music and take solos, you have the most complete duo you could ever have for clubs with a younger audience The voice on top brings the realism, not having to play it yourself.  This project of mine, as an example, a hastily made video using a roland g70 and my s770, using styles, midis, and solo playing...was an experiment to see how many different ways one can go. It was a great disappointment that I could not book gigs with it, considering the normal duo model for clubs is one or two guitar strummers. IMO this whole path of technology (arrangers) is built to provide the one thing clubs want, small great sounding bands (duo)      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F20cab0nmFw

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 07:59:57 PM »
Chuck, first and foremost, most of the nite club/restaurant gigs pay the same as they did 50 years ago - I know this for a fact because 50 years ago I was performing those gigs. Back then they paid an average of $100 for 4 hours and they still pay the same today. In the 1960s, I performed using a six string guitar, 100 watt amp and a Shure sm58 mic. After 4 hours in a smoke filled bar, I took home my $100 and back then, it was the same as I made in a week from my day job. Believe me, you're not missing anything in the paycheck department - it still sucks!

Now, the difficult task is selling yourself to the owners, which I successfully was able to do most of the time. Sure, there are jobs where they want a trio of guitar players, all of which pretty much suck at what they do, but tend to have a following, small though it may be. They usually tell a half-dozen friends where they will be playing and beg them to come and have a drink or two. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, it does not.

The main reason I was able to land the jobs I landed, even where the younger generation haunted, was that I was versatile. I was able to perform anything from Jimmy Buffett to ZZ-Top, The Eagles, Trans Siberian Railroad, Sinatra, Elvis, and lots of country. If you cannot meet that criteria, you WILL NOT likely land a job as an OMB entertainer, even in the senior circuit.

Additionally, you must be able to provide high quality vocals in all those categories. If you cannot, you must find a drop-dead, gorgeous female vocalist that can sing her heart out and be an entertainer while on stage. She must be able to interact and schmooze the audiences, dress impeccably, and sing like a nightingale. Believe me, finding a female vocalist that meets these qualifications is nearly impossible - I only found one, my daughter, but she did not wish to pursue this as a career, though she could have made a lot more money than doing what she now does for a living.

Now, don't get depressed over this - because if you can meet the above qualifications, the next step is to pound the streets and sell yourself. It's not easy, but it can be done if you really put your heart and soul into it. By the time I retired,  I was performing 440 gigs a year, mostly the senior circuit because it paid better than the nite club gigs. I probably turned down half again that number of jobs because my health was giving out and I didn't think I could do any  more jobs than I was already doing.

One last note, nite club/restaurant jobs are usually very fickle to say the least. If the crowd is light, even during a blizzard or hurricane, they blame it on the entertainment. If the profits are down, the owners will try to cut your meager salary. I performed in restaurants where the average bill for dinner for two was $200 before tips. If they had a slow night, they would try to weasel out on the pay - that's just the way things are.

My best advice is to look into the senior circuit. Assisted living, nursing homes and retirement communities are springing up faster than you could possibly imagine. The pay scale where I live is an average of $125 to $150 per hour. You will never get close to that in a nite club or restaurant.  Additionally, the hours are usually daytime, mid afternoon, no traffic jams to contend with, no drunks or cigarette smoke, and the audiences love everything you play. The pay checks come in regularly, and at the end of the year, you get your 1099 forms on time. You get to use all the self employed deductions (all 1200 of them), and you can work as often or little as you wish. What is not to like about this?

Good luck,

Gary  8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 09:46:02 PM »
I live in a university town thriving with bars, student hang-outs, and lots of live entertainment.  I may be the only arranger player anywhere around these parts.  Iíve never seen nor heard of anyone else playing out live with an arranger.  The student joints are primarily guitar, bass, and drums----and very loud to be exact.  Blues and Americana (whatever that is) music seems to be the staple diet.  And, those that write their own material.  Like Gary says, the retirement home circuit is a busy one, along with the quiet dinner restaurants, if one likes those musical environments.  They suit me fine.  Maybe thereís room for everyone somewhere in this business.

Offline chuckeys123

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 07:52:02 AM »
My problem is I really want to play more aggressive contemporary.  If you look at popular music today, 75% of it is unreproduceable by conventional, guitar-centric bands. I play in a very good wedding band    www.bandofgoldmusic.com     in a shrinking market. There are high priced  other outfits that half the night they are playing along with tracks, sometimes just pretending. Conventional bar bands are only able to do  a small slice of music...rock, oldies country, etc. A friend once told me that there is a list of 150 songs, and each band selects 30 of them. What about EDM, hip hop, modern pop, post modern jukebox (look it up), orchestral, etc. What about people playing guitar, sax, and all other instruments on keys and sound real? I feel that no-one makes much money in clubs because they all do the same things, and they aren't the things of today. If you ,saw the video I posted (just google Raquel duo movie)  I had a stunning girl singer doing unique stuff. I know that club owners always want an act they think will draw, even if it is 2 lame guitarists that, after a while, sound like 5 songs done at 4 different tempos in 3 different keys. But , after watching and hearing the video, hiring  the duo at a duo price point, and getting a complete product with  an amazing girl out front? Why not? I am so frustrated because the arranger technology is fantastic. I know that if given a chance to get it up and running it would fly. People are already used to tracks. That's why djs thrive. That's why most popular groups are singer/performers with dancers. I don't get it it...sigh...

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 08:37:15 AM »
Thank you Keyboardplayer for the Youtube vid performance
You really showed what the Geno's is capable of, in the hands of a good musician.
I see what you mean with some parts overdriven distorted on the performance but all and all very nice
Congrats on your new Geno's
It inspires players from any level  :)

Craig "Keyboardist"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:39:14 AM by Keyboardist »
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 03:16:55 PM »
Thank you all for the nice words. Tonight I will upload a showreel of 30 minutes with styles (and only using OTS) from all categories in much better quality.

Best Regards,

Joost

The following users thanked this post: Keyboardist, Del B, alans