Author Topic: Have I finally beat the new gear lust?  (Read 452 times)

Offline ekurburski

Have I finally beat the new gear lust?
« on: October 26, 2017, 07:57:49 AM »
For years I always wanted and fantasized about the latest and best gear out there but could never afford it.  My main keyboard for years was the 740 which of course had all kinds of limitations, real and imagined.  Recently I purchased a used 3000 (Gary's backup unit) with the idea of solving some of those limitations without spending a fortune.  Well, long story short, it has satisfied on many levels!  With just the addition of a usb port I hav e now got the ability to have thousands of styles!  Never learned how to effectively use OTS on the 740 but intend to learn now.  For years I have played with band-in-a-box updating every year.  Seriously wonder if I'll be using it at all anymore.  I am thinking that the really only limitation to the keyboard is in voices but think I know the way around that problem.  I have a fairly large collection of vst's which include the Korg vintage series and a few other nice collections.  I'm thinking that I could set up a laptop holding a B-3 vst and my copy of FX7, with the M1 and run through a separate controller for use of melody voices.  Of course at 74 years old, this means I have a ton of stuff to learn before I run out of time!!

Now, all of that being said, I also read the Geno's forum and see all of the excitement over the new and latest KB.  Not withstanding the price, I just don't fell all that excited about the newest and latest.  With what I have to play with I wonder just what does the Geno's give that's worth 5 grand let alone any $ at all?  Other that to say I have the latest and greatest what benefit to continue with the lust? 

Man, Gary, thank you, for making me a good deal on the kb.  I am having the time of my life with it.
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline travlin-easy

Re: Have I finally beat the new gear lust?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 09:41:28 AM »
I was pretty confident you would have fun with that 3000. Glad it went to a good home.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
Hello there :) If I had a PSR 3000, I don't think I would have upgraded. But I have the model before that, the 2100. It uses floppy disks, and I began to get tired of the memory limits it had, so I upgraded recently to an S970. I still love my 2100, and will never part with it. On Saturday I went to my first gig after buying the new keyboard, and I grabbed my dear, old 2100 and was halfway out the door before I got hold of myself, went back in, put down my trusty old friend and hauled out my S970. The performance went well, but I am still not entirely comfortable with my new keyboard. But a much bigger memory, clear screen, audio player and better speakers won me over. I still like the sound of my old 2100 the best, believe it or not. Keyboard-changing is a traumatic experience! :) LOL.
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline Oldden

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
Hi,
Nothing wrong with a psr3000. I was on holiday in Jamaica last year and watched a group pumping out reggae using a PSR 3000 along with two guitars. It got us all up dancing, it's not what you have got its what you do with it that counts.
Oldden

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 05:16:51 PM »
So true!
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline ekurburski

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »
Toril.

I purchased Gary Diamonds 3000 after years of playing my 740.  The 740 still works fine but like you I wanted something that would allow me to use more styles and save more registrations and OTS and mutipad settings.  Like you, I really can't tell a great difference in sound.  And like you it is a little daunting moving to a new OS.  There are several things I need to work through before taking it out on a gig. 

One of the things I am really interested in doing is calling up a vst on a seperate controller to play melodies and right hand fills.  I have an excellent collection of vst's to choose from to include the dx7, Korg Legacy series and B3 simulations.  These are as good as they get and I think with the 300 serving as the background for my songs I will have an excellent sound.

Earl
PSR740, PSR3000, tx7, mt32, mirage, ProTiools 10,11 Sonar,  Reaper, BIAB2018 an a 4' stack of computer Music mags

Offline Joe W

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
Earl, there's no reason you should be deprived of an exciting video showing off the features of your new keyboard.  Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ptLjwCbds&list=RDp-UWd1BJJ0k&index=6
-- Joe Waters
Tyros5
PSR Performer Page