Author Topic: Playlist replaces the Music Finder REALLY?  (Read 987 times)

Offline DrakeM

Playlist replaces the Music Finder REALLY?
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:29:45 AM »
I was reading in another thread where the Genos will take my MF and convert it into the new Playlist as a Registration. What is Yamaha thinking? How am I supposed to control my Vocal Harmonizer now?

I am a singer as well as a Keyboard player and use the Registrations to control my mic. I use it to turn the mic to CLEAN to speak, to Sing with reverb, to add my back up singer and to turn it off.

What a joke. If and when I up grade to a new PSR, I would have to enter into each Playlist song Registration the settings for my mic at least 4 to 6 slots in my now 275 songs.

I am not in any hurry to do that, I need more than a Dobro sound and a fixed Pedal steel to up grade into that mess of work.

Somebody please explain to me that there is an easy work around to this.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:32:14 AM by DrakeM »

Offline valimaties

Re: Playlist replaces the Music Finder REALLY?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 05:58:36 AM »
I was reading in another thread where the Genos will take my MF and convert it into the new Playlist as a Registration. What is Yamaha thinking? How am I supposed to control my Vocal Harmonizer now?

I am a singer as well as a Keyboard player and use the Registrations to control my mic. I use it to turn the mic to CLEAN to speak, to Sing with reverb, to add my back up singer and to turn it off.

What a joke. If and when I up grade to a new PSR, I would have to enter into each Playlist song Registration the settings for my mic at least 4 to 6 slots in my now 275 songs.

I am not in any hurry to do that, I need more than a Dobro sound and a fixed Pedal steel to up grade into that mess of work.

Somebody please explain to me that there is an easy work around to this.

Regards
Drake

From Reference Manual, page 91:

By importing Music Finder Records used on previous Yamaha keyboards (such as the Tyros series), you can use the
Records on the Playlist of Genos, just like using the Music Finder function on those other instruments.
For details on using Music Finder, refer to the Owner’s Manual of the Yamaha keyboard which contains your desired
Music Finder Records.

Offline gerard

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
Drake,
Do you use both registrations and Musicfinder?
For me, I create a SETUP REGISTRATION that sets my vocal harmony and pedals.
When I create a registration for a song, I do not select the pedal and vocal harmony.
I do not know when you import/convert a musicfinder file to the Genos if it stores those settings or just the basic registration information.
Also musicfinder does not store transpose....
Gerard

Offline valimaties

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:09:30 AM »
Also musicfinder does not store transpose....

Music Finder will be converted as registration banks, like they say, and as playlist file.
Registration does store transpose, like we know ;) So that's I think is a good news for those who use transposition.

Music Finder also does not have lyrics/text feature, but registration does. So I think Registrations are more powerful than Music Finder. Now, You can view all registrations in a playlist, you don't have anymore to switch from registration banks. You open playlist, select and load a playlist that contains for example Bluesses, and select a melody from there. Automatically, when you pres Load, it will load the registration 4 from 156's registration bank. And that's gorgeous!

Music Finder have the "autoload" function, that I was not loved in my T5. I want to find the music piece I want to sing, from the middle of playing some melody. I cannot on T5. On Genos it can be possible! And load all settings (transposition, ACMP on/off, Sync Start on off, VH, Text, etc... because there are settings of a registration)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:16:47 AM by valimaties »

Offline gerard

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
I think what Drake is referring to is the setup for his vocals.
I believe when he imports all his musicfinder songs, it will not affect his vocal settings, and only import the name, style, tempo.
That is why I have a global registration to call up the vocal settings I use, and not have to add it to each registration.
Gerard

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 06:38:43 AM »
For years people have been asking to save Registrations to Music Finder. Now you have just that.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:56:11 AM »
I think what Drake is referring to is the setup for his vocals.
I believe when he imports all his musicfinder songs, it will not affect his vocal settings, and only import the name, style, tempo.
That is why I have a global registration to call up the vocal settings I use, and not have to add it to each registration.
Gerard

I have save my settings of VH in User settings of Mic, and for each song I use it from there.

Offline mikf

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:25:16 AM »
I believe that what Drake is concerned about is that he cannot have two registration banks 'live' at once, so the control of his mike which he does with setting registrations would not be available if he has to have a song registration up, unless he adds that to EVERY song registration individually.
However, I am not sure that Drake has this correct, because I think it is the other way round. You are effectively moving the registration into MFD rather than vice versa. Which is really quite neat, and should not affect how the registration bank is used simultaneously.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 12:23:16 PM »
 Yes, Mikf that is my concern, the way I see it, I need TWO registrations settings to be called up at once on the screen.

The only work around I can think of, would be if we can still have two SEARCHES. One search I could use to called up my songs by a Key words (such as SET01) and then use the second search for a key word like VH2.  The VH2 could call up all of my various Mic settings and then I could FLIP back and forth between the two Screen .. ie SEARCH 1 and 2.

Regards
Drake

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:35:13 PM by DrakeM »

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 12:29:13 PM »
I have save my settings of VH in User settings of Mic, and for each song I use it from there.

Hi valimaties,

My use of the VH2 is quite heavy and I turn it off and on a lot. So much so that a foot switch is not accurate enough to keep up with my needs ( I started out that way in the beginning). Also using a foot switch only allows you to turn your backup singers on and off. I have songs that require the use of three different VH setups for them, a foot switch can not get the job for me.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:33:38 PM by DrakeM »

Offline gerard

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:59 PM »
Drake,
If you have a setup registration that has your VH2, mike settings and save it, and then when you save each registration for your songs, do not select Harmony/Voice Settings.
I do this so that each of my 350 registrations do not have saved the Vocal settings.
When I turn on the keyboard, I select my setup registration which initiates my Mic settings as well as my pedal settings.
Then I can select any of my other registrations and they will not affect anything.
Gerard

Offline gerard

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
Drake,
Just saw your last post.
You need access to  3 different vocal settings it seems.
One way would be to have an assignable button open the vocal settings page.
Then when you load a song registration, select the assignable button, and you will be able to change your vocal settings.
You might also be able to trigger the assignable button from a foot pedal.
Gerard

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 12:43:13 PM »
Hi Gerard

Yes, I currently do it the same way. But I do have several VH2 setups that I change between during any given set.

Examples of my setups are:

Std Duet  - reverb set at 16
Std Duet  - reverb set at 24
Std Duet - reverb set at 40
Lisa and Tina ( two girl back up singers)
Trio -  set up for Alabama
special set up to do JACKSON for the male, female and duet (that is 3 settings)
Special set up for BOYS AROUND HERE (that is 3 settings)
Special set up for SOUTHERN GIRL (that is 3 settings)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:46:25 PM by DrakeM »

Offline gerard

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
Drake,
Yes, you have a lot of settings.
When you save a registration, you could save the initial vocal setting to that registration.
Then, using the assignable button, call up and have ready, your list of what vocal setting you need to change to.
Gerard

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 01:53:48 PM »
Yes, Mikf that is my concern, the way I see it, I need TWO registrations settings to be called up at once on the screen.

Drake,

You should contact Murray Best regarding this problem, as I'm sure others will face it as well.

The real simple solution is to take advantage of the new R9 and R10 buttons, and store your VH settings there. That would give you access to them, in the same place, on every registration bank without affecting any of your current registrations.

All you need is a batch program to store the R9 and R10 contents on every registration, which I know Murray can do. But he has lots on his plate, so hopefully you'll catch him on a good day.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 07:05:26 AM »
One more thought and idea. ;D

I am thinking an easy way to turn my Custom Song Styles into registrations with my VH2 settings would be to create about 240 "Std Duet with reverb@16". Creating them by simply using "copy and paste" into a folder and renaming each one with the song's name. Then attaching that Registration to the custom song style.

I probably use the "Std Duet with reverb @16" for 90 percent of my songs. I am pretty sure this Playlist feature will be incorporated with the next PSR keyboard released.

Okay ... my panic attack is now OVER ... lol

Regards
Drake

Offline valimaties

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
Sincerely, I don't think what are you doing with n's VH settings is a good aproach...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Sincerely, I don't think what are you doing with n's VH settings is a good aproach...

Ok. What is?

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons