Author Topic: PSR 970 output Jack L and L/R is not working  (Read 400 times)

Offline sunilmanit

PSR 970 output Jack L and L/R is not working
« on: October 19, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »
Good Morning All,  I am a new PSR 970 user ...  Not sure this issue is already answered ...  I connected  L/R to a Mixer. I expected , the Keyboard speaker will become off and sound will come out through external speaker via mixer .  But both did not happened. I became panic ,  luckily 'Phone out' worked. I have some questions,  will any body help to answer ...

1)  using phone jack for external connectivity is a god practice ?
2)  Why out put jack is not working .  I used a stereo pin and used L/R out jack .  Is it a set up issue.
3) I saw some update , saying , if we put a dummy pin in Phone jack ,  output jack will work.  Is this true ?  I did not tried ...  What is the Logic behind this ?

Kindly help me , I am new user of 970....

Sunil , Singapore

Offline Paul B

Re: PSR 970 output Jack L and L/R is not working
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:36:17 AM »
1) I would say that using the headphone jack for output is not a good practice, but if you want to silence the internal speakers you will need to put a dummy plug in the headphone socket.

2) I would guess that you problem with the L/R output jack is not the jack but your cable. The L/R jack is actually a combined mono jack and therefor you should use a mono cable to your mixer. If you want stereo you will need to use two mono cables, one for each channel.

3) The dummy plug in the headphone jack just silences the internal speakers. I don't know why you would want to do that, I find they serve as excellent monitor sound.

Hope that helps, Have a great day!
Paul
Paul B
Kenosha, WI / Mission, TX

The following users thanked this post: sunilmanit

Online tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »
The internal speakers of the PSR-S970/770 can be turned off without the need for a 'dummy' plug in the headphone socket.     You can do this using the SPEAKER setting (option 1) on the CONFIG2 page of the UTILITY display.

The available settings are (note that 'Speaker' refers to the keyboard's internal speakers):

HEADPHONE SW: Speaker sounds normally, but is cut off when headphones are connected to the [PHONES] jack.

ON: Speaker sound is always on, even if headphones are connected.

OFF: Speaker sound is off. You can only hear the instrument sound via the headphones or an external device connected to the AUX OUT jacks.

However the signal from the OUTPUT sockets should always be available with any of the above settings, although note that it's level is controlled by the Master Volume control! 

Like Paul, I suspect that the problem is with the cable that you are using, or more specifically the jack plug on the end of it.  I think that you should be using a cable with a mono plug (TS) on it rather than the stereo (TRS) that you are currently using.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:15:45 AM by tyrosaurus »

The following users thanked this post: sunilmanit

Offline sunilmanit

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:38:16 AM »
Thank you Dear Paul and Ian ,

I  need to try your suggestions,  need to purchase some cables and pins....

May need more help from you ....

Sunil