Author Topic: Looking for a small Yamaha similar to Korg Microarranger?  (Read 481 times)

Offline fantasyvn

Looking for a small Yamaha similar to Korg Microarranger?
« on: October 19, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

Could you pls advise?

I want to buy a small portable arranger keyboard for songwriting purpose. Basically I need a small keyboard and to get access to as many styles as possible for instant inspiration.

Is there any Yamaha similar to the Korg Microarranger?

My sincere thanks,

Offline Paula

Re: Looking for a small Yamaha similar to Korg Microarranger?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Hi
 I wish Yamaha would make a small key board as the korg micro, I had a little micro arranger and loved it I did not want to deal with two operating systems and sold it!!!
 the guy I sold it to has arthritis so bad he could no longer handle his full size key board he also is 81 yrs young 
he was so happy to get this little key board his face lit up so bright and to see his smiles as he could work with those small keys so much easier..he also has a Bose compact  ,now his 9 year old great grandson helps him set up and he can once again goes out to nursing homes to gig I think that made my summer to see him once again so happy
     best regards
          Paula
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:08:57 AM by Paula »
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Tyros 4 and Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
Hi --

I would love to have something this portable, too, from Yamaha.

I'm currently taking a Reface YC to rehearsals (music ministry at our church). Can't beat the portability. Unfortunately, three octaves ain't enough (need four octaves minimum) and the sound is limited to organ (need strings, French horns and woodwinds, too). I can get along OK with church and drawbar organ as our rehearsals are not full blown sound checks, etc.

I own and tried a PSR-E443. The sound set needs to be retooled and it's as easy to fling into the car as the Reface.

All the best -- pj

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
I don't think Yamaha makes any keyboards with mini-keys anymore, aside from the four Reface models. But they used to make several, generally named PSS-xxx. The "PSS" stands for "PortaSound Small," as opposed to "PSR" for "PortaSound Regular." If you look on your local Craigslist, eBay, or similar sites, you can usually see a few used PSS models for sale.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
I have a PSS-480 that Michael is referring to, and I continue to hang on to it for exactly the reasons that the rest of you have mentioned.  It has 49 mini keys, so is small and light compared to the average 61 key unit, can be battery powered, and follows the basic arranger method of operation that Yamaha has used for years, but it does have three major drawbacks.  Needless to say, its styles repertoire is limited and somewhat dated.  The keybed is not touch sensitive, but worst of all, its sound engine is yesteryear's 8-bit technology.  Wow, is that raw - by today's standards, but since I got the E433, much of the time, I find it is just about as convenient, as far as size and weight, and much better from a sound and features standpoint.  I can sit in my easy chair and put the E433 across the arms, and it works fine - but take it on the bus or train or plane with me and play it on the go?  No - not a good idea, but I am not so sure the PSS-480 wouldn't even be a little too big yet for that - compared to the Korg Micro-arranger.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:42:29 PM by mbriggs »

Offline Paula

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 04:39:10 PM »
Hi --

I would love to have something this portable, too, from Yamaha.

I'm currently taking a Reface YC to rehearsals (music ministry at our church). Can't beat the portability. Unfortunately, three octaves ain't enough (need four octaves minimum) and the sound is limited to organ (need strings, French horns and woodwinds, too). I can get along OK with church and drawbar organ as our rehearsals are not full blown sound checks, etc.

I own and tried a PSR-E443. The sound set needs to be retooled and it's as easy to fling into the car as the Reface.

All the best -- pj
Hi PJ
 consider the Korg Micro arranger  it truly is a fantastic key board  check it out and it sounds wonderful
     Paula :)
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »
Paula

I suspect the desire for a small Yamaha unit like the Korg Micro-arranger has something to do with the possibility of loading some of your favorite styles from your larger Yamaha board(s) into it and taking them with you, but I also suspect that Yamaha's current outlook is in a totally different direction, so it looks like the Korg is the best bet for now, and I thank you for your comments.  You have spurred my interest, so I will stop in to Guitar Center when I get up to the southside tomorrow to see if they have one I can look at.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 04:57:21 PM by mbriggs »

Offline Paula

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
Hi Matt
 again I really didnt want to be involved with two operating systems I did set up some performances and save them to the SD card really this little key board is dynamic and is about 7lb check out you tube you will see what it can do
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 06:41:14 AM »
Consider the Korg Micro arranger  it truly is a fantastic key board  check it out and it sounds wonderful

Hi Paula --

I have to say, you wrote such a wonderful message earlier in the thread. Wow!  :)

I'm thinking seriously about Genos, so every spare penny will count. Plus, the Reface YC is working out reasonably well. Nonetheless, if Yamaha springs competition for the Microarranger...

All the best to ya -- pj

Offline Paula

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 07:05:15 AM »
Hi PJ
 good luck with the Genos..I hope it proves to be a good key board  it sure looks as though it may, I am still happy with the T4 as well as the 970 right now although I could think as well of selling both and looking into the Genos in the future I need to hear more about this new  animal  :)
      Paula
You Tube
PSR S970