Author Topic: Newbie from Prestwick  (Read 549 times)

Offline Philmca1

Newbie from Prestwick
« on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
Hi folks, it's great to become part of your keyboard community. My name is Phil, from Prestwick and although I have played a bit of piano for a number of years, I am relatively new to the 'keyboard' scene. I have a Tyros 5 76 - ('cos of the piano background) - This is definitely waaayyy above my capabilities  :D - but I am hoping to have it for a while and will hopefully improve through time...I'ts a steep learning curve but I am enjoying the challenge so far and I look forward to learning a lot from the knowledge and experience that is out there😀

Phil

Offline MINKYCATS

Re: Newbie from Prestwick
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
Hi Phil,

I too have  Tyros 5. Your piano playing will be of enormous benefit to you in mastering the Tyros 5. I was brought up on piano then organ then keyboard.

You already have many skills which will be an advantage and the great guys and gals on this forum will give you all the guidance and help you need to become a very proficient player.

Enjoy it all.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Offline PWB

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
Hello Phil,

I was in this position a year ago (although I decided to dip my feet in the water with a PSR970 before splashing out on a Tyros)

The best thing I did was to go to the Yamaha weekend which gave me a huge boost in understanding and got me started in building my repertoire.

Just stick with it and you will continually amaze yourself at what amazing songs you can produce. Also the Yamaha community and this forum are so helpful and supportive that you will realize that this is a major reason why people choose a Yamaha instrument.

Good luck and good playing

Paul
(PWB)

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I'm sure you're going to learn a great deal about your Tyros 5 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains 41,000+ song titles in 670 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here that are always very willing to help you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:03:01 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Philmca1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys👍

Phil

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:40:23 PM »
Hi Phil
Takes years to learn to play a keyboard but by comparison no time at all to learn your way round a Tyros, so you should be playing it like a pro in short order. I think the biggest change for some piano players is to learn to use LH chords and lead sheets rather than a full manuscript. Of course some piano players already play that way anyway.
Take it in small bites and you can enjoy playing in short while continuing to dig deeper into the operating system, or as deep as you feel you want to go. Don't try to absorb everything in the manual to begin with, if for no other reason that you are unlikely to ever want to do everything anyway.
Start with the basics, how to select voices and a suitable style with its intros, endings and variations. Ask questions here when you hit roadblocks.
I live in Houston Texas in the winter but also have a place in Bishopton. Just left there a couple of weeks ago.
BTW, I think you may need to set your local time, go to your profile and select look and layout and then a UK time offset which I think is 8 hours.
Mike

Offline Philmca1

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
Thanks Mike, sound advice. There is a steep learning curve, and the LH chords are just part of it - it's putting everything together and hitting the right buttons at the right time...its a challenge, but an enjoyable one (most of the time :0) - But i have learned a good few things from the forum in the short space of time since joining which is great. (I have changed the offset to 8 (i think) so hopefully will be more up to date now).

Thanks again

phil

Offline browzer

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
Hi Phil, I also have a Tyros 5 (for the moment) and from Paisley so not too far away from you. I started from scratch on the keyboard after years of playing the Guitar and have learned so much from the wealth of knowledge on this forum. So much enjoyment to be had from the Tyros 5 whatever level player you are.

Enjoy

Ronnie

Tyros 5

Offline PWB

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
Hello again Phil,

One other tip I learned early on is to use a foot switch to change registrations, which allows you to keep your hands on the keyboard rather than thinking about which button to press next.

Hope this helps

Paul

Offline Philmca1

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »
Definitely Ronnie, that is the beauty of the keyboard, you can get so much enjoyment from it no matter what stage you're at and you're not long in picking up wee gems that help improve your playing standard...every day's a school day😜. When you say "for the moment" - are you tempted to change?

Paul thanks for that bit of advice, I actually tried that recently and it seemed to work ok going up through the Regs but (it's probably operator error) once I got to Reg 5 (the last programmed reg) I couldn't get it back to Reg 1 without changing settings. I eventually connected another pedal to operate the downward change but as I said it's probably just me - I can certainly see how it would be a benefit and I will look into it further.

Phil

Offline browzer

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
Definitely Ronnie, that is the beauty of the keyboard, you can get so much enjoyment from it no matter what stage you're at and you're not long in picking up wee gems that help improve your playing standard...every day's a school day😜. When you say "for the moment" - are you tempted to change?

Yes Phil, keeping my eye on the Genos, but will not be jumping in anytime soon and will wait till I'm sure it's for me. Still ultra happy with the Tyros 5 so no need to be hasty.

Ronnie
Tyros 5

Offline Philmca1

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 02:46:58 PM »
You're quite right Ronnie, it's a big step...but it does look like quite a machine😜