Author Topic: Heavy and clumbersom  (Read 483 times)

Offline Ingar

Heavy and clumbersom
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:50:55 AM »
Why does not Yamaha create a keyboard with building speakers AND with the same sound quality and possibility as Tyros / Genos? Do not tell me it's impossible. Many musicians want a keyboard they can easily take under the arm and travel around With, and or just put in the front seat of the car. With this big massive up package Tyros / Genos represents, it's starting to get really bothersome for a lot of people-

Regards Ingar

Offline EileenL

Re: Heavy and clumbersom
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 03:52:21 AM »
To have internal speakers in a keyboard increases the weight a quite bit. Do you remember the old 9000. It was to heavy to take around by putting it under your arm.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 04:18:30 AM »
Ingar
Actually it is not really practical or desirable with current technology.
Built in speakers on portable keyboards are really only meant for the player, they don't throw sound effectively for public play.
High end speaker systems for public play are usually heavy, large, expensive so the 'keyboard package' gets bigger, heavier, and it's easier to transport separately.
Many people prefer choice in sound systems.
If you are transporting it the reason would normally be to play in public, and you might need a very large system so no matter what you 'build in' it would not suit everyone. Quality speaker systems are built in to top end systems not normally moved like CVPs but they are far from portable. And they are not made to fill a hall, just a room in your house.
Even in the low end systems like PSR, serious players will often by pass the built in speakers because they are mediocre at best, and lack power.
Mike

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 07:45:52 AM »
I have used the onboard PSR speakers to perform small living room parties for intimate groups of 10 or less, but beyond that number, I depended on a full size PA system. Onboard speakers add lots of weight, as was demonstrated with the old PSR-5700, which tipped the scales at 52-pounds without the added weight of the case.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Ingar

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
Built in speakers on portable keyboards are really only meant for the player, they don't throw sound effectively for public play.

Yes I know, but they don't do a very good job for me as a player i think. The speaker-system that comes with Tyros, are fare better, and I do believe that the technology to day makes that possible in build in speakers as well. It would have helped just to angle them more directly to the player
Just my two cents :-)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:04:08 AM by Ingar »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
Hello friends. I have used keyboards with built in speakers always, and with a small audience and if the room is not to large, that is quite OK. Today I played in a place that was a little to large for only onboard speakers, but most people said they heard me fine. I mostly play in small senior clubs and such, so they hear me fine. I have no car, and must be able to get my keyboard and my accordion in a taxi or in a friend's car. Long live portability :)
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html