Author Topic: Upgrading To Genos With Registrations From a Tyros Or PSR  (Read 1730 times)

Offline gerard

Upgrading To Genos With Registrations From a Tyros Or PSR
« on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:56 AM »
Current setup, PSR S970.
I use one registration bank per song, about 400 of them.

I also use Mobilesheets on a Microsoft Surface Pro for my lyrics and sheet music.
For each registration bank, I point to a midi file to trigger the right song in Mobilesheets.

I created 4 registration banks and saved voices only for registrations 2-8, one bank for country, one bank for big band, etc.
When I want to save a song in a registration, I select a registration bank of voices that would work best with that song, select the style for that song, select the midi file that will point to the correct song in Mobilesheets, set the style, transpose, intro, etc., and then save it in registration one of that bank.
Now for that song, there are 7 other voices available for that song as well as the 4 one touch settings.

Upgrading to the Genos creates somewhat of a problem.
I can upload all my registrations from the S970 to the Genos BUT, all the voices are the old ones and not the new ones on the Genos.
Example, my registration voice is pointing to a Concert Grand piano, not one of the new ones on the Genos.
And the style, if it is a Preset style on the Genos will be ok, but if not, each style will have to be tweaked to point to the new voices on the Genos.
Reason is, I have bought or created many song specific styles so each one of those I might want to change the voicing.

Bottom line, for each song I have, saved in a registration, will probably have to be tweaked to take advantage of the new Genos sounds.
For each song, this may take up to 20 minutes or so.
In my case, this would be about 133 hours!

If I could print out the information for all my registration banks, style, transpose, midi file(for Mobilesheets), intro and variation settings, etc., then I could create 4 new voice banks, so to speak, which now are up to 10 registrations per bank, and from my printout, make a new registration on the Genos.

Any other ideas would be appreciated, mainly how to do a printout of ALL the registration banks information.

I hope I am not confusing anybody. lol
Gerard

Offline Lloyd E

Re: Upgrading To Genos With Registrations From a Tyros Or PSR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
I myself will make all new registrations with the new Genos voices. I will use the registrations from the Tyros 5-76 as a guideline for the songs I have but NOT put them in the Genos memory. More work but a clean new Genos memory with songs that will now sound so much more alive. That's my theory !  Lloyd
Music is the way to go

Offline Bill

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

Any other ideas would be appreciated, mainly how to do a printout of ALL the registration banks information.

He Gerard

The Registration Manager program by Murray Best will do what you want (and More) very quickly. It is available from the Main PSR Site under Utilities.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline organaut

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »
I had a sneaky suspician this may happen when I buy a Genos. Sorry I can be no help but you have helped me by confirming what will happen to my Tyros registrations. At least I can plan in advance what I’m going to tweak and do it gradually while I get used to just playing the Genos and get the feel of it with my old familiar setups. :)

Offline gerard

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Bill,
The registration manager V5 is what I needed to do a printout of all my registrations.
Since I only set it up using REGISTRATION 1, I created an Excel file and deleted REGISTRATIONS 2 -8, and I am left with what I need if I want to start from scratch.
Here is an example from the Excel file:

After The Lovin   1   Vocals   I:/VocalFoxtrot.T406.STY                    85   None           C   0   M: -5 S: -5 K: -5   I:/001-099/SongBook_007.mid
All Right Now   1   NewRegist   C:/STYLE/All Right Now T4.T096.STY   118   Intro III   A   0   M:  4 S:  4 K:  4   I:/001-099/SongBook_012.mid

Thank you so much,
Gerard

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:25:53 PM »
Actually, this may not be a problem. This is another one of those you have to wait and see what happens. You may be able to transfer your registrations directly to the Genos and with luck, it will upgrade those voices automatically. If not, there's always the possibility that Michael Bedesem may come up with an update in his registration software to take care of any problems that may exist.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Actually, this may not be a problem. This is another one of those you have to wait and see what happens. You may be able to transfer your registrations directly to the Genos and with luck, it will upgrade those voices automatically. If not, there's always the possibility that Michael Bedesem may come up with an update in his registration software to take care of any problems that may exist.

This is what I plan to do. But regardless of what the keyboard does, I plan to review my registrations on the Genos to see what I want to tweak. The good things is the registrations will work without modification, so I can take my time on the review.

Whoever gets the first Genos should send a registration file to Murray Best so he can start working on upgrading his program. I'm so impressed with Murray's program, I wish there was something we could do other than state our profound thanks.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Bill

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 02:08:18 AM »
I think that the Filing Structure of the Genos is going to be similar to the PSR S970, which is completely different from the Tyros 5.

You may be able to use the USB Slot under the keyboard for a Hard Drive substitute, but the YEM will not be storing files there. It will probably store files in "Expansion" Folder in the user area (different letter for drive) and all Pads, styles, midi etc will be stored in dedicated folders for each of the file types. So all registrations that use Expansion voices and styles are going to be difficult to convert.  Obviously any registration that are supplied with the expansion packs should be converted when Yamaha upgrade them. 

The other worrying thing is copyright protection. On the Tyros 5 you can block copy styles etc from the expansion folder but on the S970 you cannot.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline murrayb

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
I think it's too early to speculate on what will or will not work with registrations.  All my Tyros 4 registrations opened fine on the S970, the only work I had to do was set up the USB folders the same as the hard disk, and change the device code from D: to I: in the registrations and everything was fine. Some fixes were required (for instance Straight8Pop isn't on the S970), but the conversion program in YRM alerted me to that.

Once we can determine how device codes are assigned on the Genos, or if a complete path string is even required at all in Genos registrations we will know how to deal with it.

I've sent a request for a registration bank to a couple of individuals whom appear to have access to the Genos, but neither have replied.  Hopefully someone will help us!

Cheers,

Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

The following users thanked this post: fileaudio

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 01:49:40 PM »
Much too early to determine.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline fileaudio

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
Well thats a question that the most of us are having!
  I have upgraded from psr 650 to 2000 to tyros 1245 and now im pretty sure that im gonna have genos too, I think genos will have the styles needed for reassignment of registrations, and so the sounds. Sometimes are changes in effects or drum kits but to have 10 buttons will give more room for improvement instead of worrying for a new keyboard.
I recomend younto trust yamaha. They are smarter than us. Im not rich but im gonna keep tyros 5 for a fee months before resale it after testing and confirm that genos is for me.
I didn’t wanted 76 keys. I wanted vocal harmony 3 and near my hands
I wanted to take out ots that nobody uses. I wanted 2 time break in or fill in rythm section.lighter kgms etc. But im waiting like a child now. Good luck and flow easy

Offline jimlaing

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
Hi - I have sent a few Registrations from Genos to Murray Best ...
   Jim
Raleigh, NC, USA / Genos / Tyros5-61 / Lucas Nana 600 / other stuff

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:12:12 PM »
I have changed over 2000 registrations change drive letters with the program "Tyros Registration Bank changer"

Tyros series drive letter:

C:/ = USER (internal memory)
 D:/ = Floppy drive (Tyros)
 E:/ = Hard drive (/Tyros)
 F:/ = HD partition #2 (Tyros)
 G:/ = HD partition #3 (Tyros)
 H:/ = HD partition #4 (Tyros)
 I:/ = USB (Tyros)

I uses USB transfer mode to transfer all Tyros5 HD data into Genos USER
In the PC explorer you see other drive letters.

With the program "Tyros Registration Bank changer" I changed all my registrations from Tyros5 HD = E: into Genos USER =C:
Just with a view clicks.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:14:18 PM by Wim NL »
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline gerard

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »
Working 12 to 15 hours a day, I have finally created 300 registrations that I use on gigs on my Genos.
I had to create from scratch because Genos does not recognize PSR S970 registrations.
I am so happy to have REGISTRATION MANAGER, thank you Murray Best, as I was able to print out a list of my S970 registrations which included the style, transpose, intro, variation, etc!
It made creating new registration a lot easier.
Some of my song specific styles, I changed voicing, mainly drums, and bass.
WOW, what  difference.
And I tried to use as many PRESET styles on the Genos as possible.

Next, I am going to create 4 or 5 playlists, I regard these as sets, that will let me play for an hour when I am doing a gig.
This way too, I won't have to hunt around the 300 registrations to find the one I want.
I may create a playlist for all my 40's songs too, I mainly do country and older rock.
Cuts down on dead air time!

Gerard

The following users thanked this post: murrayb

Offline Stijn

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 06:16:46 AM »
If you need to quickly modify multiple registrations you can use Murray’s Yamaha Registration Manager.
You can find the latest version here:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5dr4bs9o4qxrmj/YRM%205.rar?dl=0 – make sure to also execute the update Nov 17, to avoid error notifications (caused by  1-letter names in the Registration buttons 1 tot 8 )

To modify multiple banks in one go;  click the button 'Batch Bank Conversion' at the bottom of the opening window.
In the next window, select 'Source Directory' and 'Target Directory';
in the section  'Custom Styles, Multipads, Songs' check the option 'User Area-C:' to quickly modify all (old) references from Tyros HD E:  into  C: (= USER Genos).

To the left you can check other options to replace missing voices and so on.

Stijn
One good thing about music; when it hits you, you feel no pain.

Offline gerard

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:47 AM »
Stijn,

I tried converting one to a Tyros 5 registration.
By the time I was through, it took longer that way than to create a registration from scratch using the printout of my old registration information.

Gerard

Offline Stijn

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 06:58:09 AM »
Hi Gerard,

You're right. Of course it's quicker your way if you only make 1 registration.
But then, the tool is not intended to modify just 1 registration. The purpose of Batch Conversion is to quickly modify tens or hundreds of registrations in just a few seconds.

Copy all the registrations you want to modify to the Source Directory. Then execute the Batch Conversion and all the modified registrations will be saved to the Target Directory in a matter of seconds.

Stijn
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:21:44 AM by Stijn »
One good thing about music; when it hits you, you feel no pain.

Offline gerard

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
I tried that and it asks me for each voice I want to change to for each registration.
My registrations have a style in button 1 and voices in buttons 2 to 8.
That is what would take too long.

Gerard

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 08:32:53 AM »
When using the Genos USER area = C:/

You have to sort type by type
Expansion
MULTI PAD
REGIST
SONG (Song A = default MIDI + Song B is default AUDIO)
This was inverted in the Tyros5 (use Audio-MIDI switch to choose between Audio-MIDI)
STYLE
SYSTEM
TEXT
VOICE

The Genos filters out only the MAP type of files.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:25:02 AM by Wim NL »
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
When using the Genos USER area = C:/

You have to sort type by type
Expansion
MULTIPAD
REGIST
SONG (Song A = default MIDI + Song B is default AUDIO)
This was inverted in the Tyros5 (use Audio-MIDI switch to choose between Audio-MIDI)
STYLE
SYSTEM
TEXT
VOICE

The Genos filters out only the MAP type of files.

What gets stored under SYSTEM?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Wim NL

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
Every thing from Genos Utility
Like : backup and restore file, Midi setup, User effects (I suppose)
Best Regards,
Wim

Offline murrayb

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 02:36:27 PM »
Gerard:

If batch conversion is asking you for voice substitutions, It means you have Real TimeSubstitution checked.  The program will only stop to ask for a replacement when the voice in the registration is not on the target keyboard.  Once you've provided a substitution, that substitution will automatically be used for the same missing voice in subsequent registrations.

As Stijn has said,  you can convert hundreds of registrations in seconds if you leave Real Time Substitution unchecked.  Your 970 registrations will then load on the Genos, then you can use your listing to make adjustments. That should save you s lot of time.

Regards
Murray
One can do without most things, but not without the pleasure of music.

Check out my Registration Manager at:  http://psrtutorial.com/util/best.html

Offline gerard

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 03:12:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the information.
I have already done each one by hand.....
I know it took me 12 - 17 hours a day for 5 days to do it. LOL

Gerard

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 04:54:22 AM »
Not sure if I am missing something or this has been covered elsewhere and I haven't seen it. I have copied all my Tyros registrations onto the Flash drive installed under the Genos. My question is how do I access my Tyros registrations to play i.e. where are they and what do I have to do to be able to play them?
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 05:53:51 AM »
Not sure if I am missing something or this has been covered elsewhere and I haven't seen it. I have copied all my Tyros registrations onto the Flash drive installed under the Genos. My question is how do I access my Tyros registrations to play i.e. where are they and what do I have to do to be able to play them?
Mike

1. Press the registration window (top of the screen).
2. Press User.
3. Press USB1.

All your folders and registrations should now be displayed.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline MIKEP

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 06:04:11 AM »
Ah! Thank you. I obviously have not recognised a registration window on the screen.
Mike