Author Topic: DGX or EL piano? I need some advise please  (Read 377 times)

Offline Toril S

DGX or EL piano? I need some advise please
« on: October 10, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »
Hello friends! Today I was asked by a senior club what they should buy instead of their old piano, witch is a mess. At once I went to my dealer to look at El pianos. They showed me two from Roland, one expensive but very well sounding (forgive me, Yamaha), the other one half the price, but with small speakers and harsh sound. Then there was one from Yamaha. Light, wellsounding, but you only got different piano sounds. Easy to operate. But THEN there was the DGX! Heavyer, sounding good, having styles. BUT, the screen was not very good, and I am afraid people will get a little scared of by all the buttons. The DGX was the cheapest of them, but with the most horsepower, in my opinion, but I am a keyboard player and love styles. So, what shall I advise them? They had only two wishes for their new piano; that it had weighed keys, and that it can be moved by a couple of people without effort.
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

Offline mikf

Re: DGX or EL piano? I need some advise please
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 07:02:30 PM »
I have not played a DGX, and they may be good value, but if they genuinely want an acoustic piano replacement i.e. it's going to be played purely as a piano by piano players - I don't believe the DGX would be the correct choice. Unfortunately digital pianos are one area where price and quality go in tandem. The closer it simulates to a real piano in feel, sound, sustain, the more expensive it will be. The top of the line cost upwards of $6000.  I personally think the Kawaii electric pianos are pretty good, but the better ones will cost a lot more than $750, probably around $2000.
Mike

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
If it's at all possible, I'd recommend getting the people who would be playing it involved in looking at what's available and picking out what they think they'd be happy with.

The DGX-660 might be a good choice if they think they're likely to use the auto accompaniments.

However, for a little bit more (around $1000) they could get a Yamaha MX88, which probably has better key action and feel than the DGX-660, not to mention higher-quality sounds. But the MX88 is classified as a synth, so its features might go a little bit deeper than they need, although I think it can also be played very simply by just choosing from among the many preset voices. On the other hand, it doesn't have the auto accompaniment features that the DGX-660 does.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline guitpic1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 01:25:25 AM »
We own a DGX.  It was recommended as a good buy by my brother, a 40 year high school music teacher.

There are a lot of options...depending on what you want to spend.

By the way, the DGX is easy to move.
guitpic1

PA 4X, S970, DGX650, JBL Eon One, SSV.3

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 02:15:54 AM »
Something I should have mentioned about the MX88 is that it does not have built-in speakers as the DGX-660 does, so you'd need to buy separate speakers for it.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Online motekmusic

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:56 AM »
Hi Toril,

I bought the dgx650 for piano playing purposes as well as getting bang from the buck from onboard styles, registrations,
recording,, etc.  even though I have these functions on my keyboards.  Have it in white and looks stunning in a living room
situation,  The hard part was putting it together .. The pedal board has to be ordered separately, if the piano player wants
a pedal board.   Am using a Yamaha sustain pedal at present.   The onboard speakers are quite powerful.   Additional
speaker unit can be plugged in.   It is easier to play full keyboard piano with a style on the dgx than on a keyboard type.
The balances are better.   Yes, there are stage piano units available .   There are lots of youtubes on the machines that
you are considering that are worthwhile to take a look at.    BTW. the DGX has weighted keys and has quite a few electric
piano voice options.....
Hope this helps your dilemma...not easy.

cheers
elaine
\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline Toril S

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »
Hello friends :) Thank you all for the imput!
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.