Author Topic: Why Arranger Keyboards Matter  (Read 511 times)

Offline pjd

Why Arranger Keyboards Matter
« on: October 09, 2017, 05:42:22 AM »
I was wondering when Stephen Fortner would weigh in about arranger keyboards. Stephen was editor in chief at Keyboard Magazine before starting the "Synth Expert" site:

https://www.synth-expert.com/

Stephen still writes for Electronic Musician magazine, which subsumed Keyboard Magazine. Print is a tough racket.

Stephen wrote reviews for Tyros, Motif, etc. and has been a positive advocate for arranger keyboards. He just posted new comments at Synth Expert:

https://www.synth-expert.com/news-blog/2017/10/6/why-arranger-keyboards-matter

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: Joe H, Gunnar Jonny

Online Jørgen

Re: Why Arranger Keyboards Matter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »
Hi

Good read!

This quote says it all:
"a good-quality arranger sounds fantastic and is an incredible music-making tool in the right hands"   ;)

Jørgen
The Unofficial YAMAHA Keyboard Resource Site at http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha
- since 1999

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:08 AM »
Thanks pj,

I find it rather bizarre some people think a $5000 arranger is something less than a $4000 so called synth. Arrangers are synths now too by Yamaha's own definition. We can edit Voices in YEM.  I've always thought arrangers were superior to "synths" in many ways.  Much easier to compose music. And if we had better tools... the sky is the limit.

Having said that, I am VERY grateful to the programmers here who have given us so many useful tools that enable us to get more out of our music machines.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:46:31 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline billtracy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:51 AM »
A question for Joe H or Bachus:

Just curious-isn't it possible that an Ipad app could supply the features you guys are interested in?
Current: Korg PA900, KRK Rokit 5s & 8S sub.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland E-A7.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 12:40:24 PM »
Hi Bill,

The short answer is no.  A longer answer is ... maybe.  Standard potentiometers and faders have a physical low and high limit.  Rotation and vertical/horizontal travel is limited   Rotary encoders go round and round. The encoder software looks at the current data value of the parameter assigned to the hardware encoder and begin change from that current data value.  Since encoders have no stop they just rotate with no fixed position.  Not needed because the code keeps track of things.

Just yesterday I tried using the cross fade between style and Multi Pads with Live Control on my S970.  As soon as I move the knob all Volumes for R1, R2 and the 4 Multi Pads were trashed.  This happened because Yamaha set the cross fade to work from the default value of 100 as the Index or reference point.  Well almost no Volumes will ever be set to the default 100 value.  The only way I was able to restore my settings was to press the OTS button.

With encoders and the proper code, the changes would have been smooth and seamless. Which is what I expected and the ONLY result that is acceptable or usable.  I don't know if the Genos will work the same.  If it does,  this is a shame.  It would be possible to write encoder code, but it won't work nearly as well with standard pots or faders because of the physical limitations of that hardware.  It would probably work pretty well if knobs and faders are at center position.

To answer your question about an external app or hardware controller fixing this would require the Genos send the current value to the external app/controller so the app/controller can read the current value(s) being altered.  Then the Genos would have to have a MIDI Template setup so it both transmits and receives the data to and from the controller in order to modify or change the current data.

To explain things a little further... it appears that the guy who programmed the Live Control made the assumption that all Volumes, for song, style parts, Left, R1, R2 and all 4 Multi Pads would all be set to a value of 100 (the default value) which is almost never the case. To me that is a serious short coming which I have referred to in another post as "sloppy programming".  We will just have to wait and see how the Genos performs and go from there.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:57:10 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 04:41:27 AM »
Just yesterday I tried using the cross fade between style and Multi Pads with Live Control on my S970.  As soon as I move the knob all Volumes for R1, R2 and the 4 Multi Pads were trashed. 

This is a very problem of the S970 live controls. The same happens every time when both knobs are assigned to different balances. Changing Left/Right balance always destroys Right1/Right2 balance and vice versa. I assume that the same will happen on Genos. :(

It would be much better, when using live knobs balance would be additive to current volume settings. But that would be much complexer to understand. So Yamaha decided to go the easy way.

Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D