Author Topic: Mac users, and a DAW compatibility?  (Read 396 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Mac users, and a DAW compatibility?
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
I am late to the party with MIDI. It seems like yamaha is more compatible with Windows than Mac OS.
To manipulate MIDI songs on a Mac, is there a preferred DAW that perhaps is more compatible with this set up?
Or am I better off using a PC? I was hoping to avoid Windows.
Thank you
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Mac users, and a DAW compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 02:46:44 PM »
Any DAW that has a Mac version should work. Cubase is presumably/arguably the best DAW for Yamaha keyboards, and it comes in a Mac version. But if you want to try a free DAW, Tracktion T6 comes in a Mac version and is free. Studio One Prime is also free and comes in a Mac version, but Studio One doesn't do SysEx.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 11:37:30 PM »
"Cubase, best" for my purpose? Would you give a tiny bit more to support that?
I have Logic ( though I am not using it ) so Cubase for windows-leaning-Tyros is a bit "better" in your view?

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:48 AM »
Cubase is made by Steinberg, and Yamaha owns Steinberg, so Cubase has a built-in understanding of Yamaha's SysEx and XG messages, as well as instrument patch list files for many of Yamaha's keyboard models.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
Cubase then.
Thank you