Author Topic: PSR-E363 or Roland Go:Keys  (Read 665 times)

Offline alecu7

PSR-E363 or Roland Go:Keys
« on: October 06, 2017, 10:22:22 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum.
My daughter's birthday (15yo) is soon, so I want to buy her either E363 or Go:Keys. Now, I have read that Go:Keys are not what to expect from Roland and it's more expensive.
E363 is $270, Go:Keys is $400. (Canadian dollars). My daughter has a cheap plastic 37-keys made in china toy. (I think is a casio) and she doesn't read notes, but plays by ear.

Question to this awesome forum: is E363 decent keyboard for a beginner? or do you guys recommend something else?

Thanks

Offline vbdx66

Re: PSR-E363 or Roland Go:Keys
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
Hi Alecu,

Id suggest the PSR E363, the PSR E3xx keyboards are very nice for beginners, they come with learning feature onboard and you can download a songbook with all the internal songs from the keyboard on Yamahas website.

If your daughter intents to later learn the piano, you could also give a try at the PSR EW300. It is basically the same board as the PSR E363 but with 76 keys, so it is more suitable for piano pieces.

My last piece of advice: many, many years ago, my parents bought me a piano (no electronic gear at the time!) and I went with them in a music shop, where I tried several pianinos and chose one because I liked its sound. But for a reason still unknown to me, my parents bought an entirely different instrument, of which I absolutely disliked the sound.

So it might be a good thing to go with your daughter in a local music shop and have her try the instruments for herself.

If this is impossible because their is no shop near your home or because they dont have the models you want to try, Id say the EW 300 is your best bet, except if your daughter is not interested in learning piano pieces, then the PSR E363 should be fine.

Also if you buy a Yamaha, you and she will have the opportunity to come back here to ask for advice, sheet music etc. 😎

And from what I have heard I think that the Go! Keys is not as solidly built as the Yamaha keyboards, which are built like a tank (even the cheapest models are usually in perfect condition after years of intensive playing).

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

The following users thanked this post: alecu7

Offline alecu7

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »
Thank you very much.

We do have couple of stores near by but I want to surprise her. Today I actually had both keyboards in my trunk but I returned the Go:keys just now.

Alex

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
I have no experience with the Go:Keys, but from what others have said, I think you made a good choice to keep the PSR-E363.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Hello Sir,
E363 is projected towards beginner musicians only, it includes Yamaha Educational Suite functionality, which teaches to play the music. PSR E363 has got organ keys, which I believe, is better for someone who is not much into piano arrangements. While GO:Keys got a piano keybed, it seems more compact to me.
Although this is completely a Yamaha PSR based forum, still I opine that GO:Keys is a bit overpriced, when the student is a beginner. GO:Keys has got better sound & professional features, which might sound good, but it is worthless for a beginner, as by the time a person learns to play the keyboard, he tries to get into higher models like the S-series arranger from Yamaha or the Tyros itself. And the user interface of GO:Keys is much advanced, which might not be suitable for kids. E363 has got all the basic features and sounds worth a beginner. So it totally depends on your budget, what to choose.
I repeat, if the Piano playing is not worth consideration, then you should go with E-363.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »
You raise a good point about the types of keys. I think there are two versions of the Go:Keys (or the other one might be called something else), and I'm not sure if both models have the same type of keys, but a good alternative to the PSR-E363 if you need more piano-like keys might be the DGX-230 or YPG-235 (they're the same except they have different names, I think for export purposes). The DGX-230/YPG-235 has a 76-note keyboard with piano-like (box-shaped) keys, although I don't think its keybed or key action is as good as the much more expensive DGX-660. Also, the DGX-2xx line hasn't had a new model introduced in several years, so the PSR-E363 most likely has better-sounding voices and more of them. Nevertheless, the DGX-230/YPG-235 could still be an excellent choice if one needs more of a piano-like keyboard, priced about the same as the PSR-E453, so priced a bit more than the PSR-E363 but not tremendously so.
Michael Rideout

Offline alecu7

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 11:47:09 AM »
Thank you all.

I'm sure she will be happy with E363.
Another question please: is there a place to get "Twilight" song? She seams to like that a lot and she struggle to play on 37 keys and sometime it sounds awful because she needs another octave.

Alex

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »
Do you mean the music from "The Twilight Saga" movies? I haven't searched for that, but I'd think that the sheet music or a song book might be available from the online stores that sell music, and they might also have MIDI files for sale. If you know the name of a particular song, just search the web for "midi" plus that song's name, or "sheet music" and the song's name. :)
Michael Rideout

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:59:31 PM »
You raise a good point about the types of keys. I think there are two versions of the Go:Keys (or the other one might be called something else), and I'm not sure if both models have the same type of keys

Sir as far as my research is concerned, there are two keyboards in the GO series lineup of Roland, one is GO:Keys with 500+ sounds, while the GO:Piano has only 40 sounds. Both the keyboards feature 61 velocity sensitive piano-type box keys with 128 note polyphony, though I feel the sounds are much on the bright er side, and PSR E-453 is much much better than both of these, in this aspect. But I am yet to find the organ-key version of this series.
I am happy I did not consider any of these models during purchase. :-)
Anupam
PSR-E453