Author Topic: Mixer Or Audio Interface  (Read 389 times)

Offline hitendramahida11

Mixer Or Audio Interface
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:19:46 PM »
Hi Everyone, i want to know why would some one need Mixer or Audio Interface .?
I have s950 and now i bought JBL LSR305. knowing S950 have
internal mixer,
ability to convert recording into .wav
Ability to connect microphone with available effects
Why do we need Mixer or Audio Interface ?
I don't gig or sing , just play at home to upload for my youtube channel for hobby. does recording through Audio interface provide better quality recording ?
does having mixer / audio interface amplifies or improves quality of microphone sound ?
Thanking in advance.

Online SeaGtGruff

Re: Mixer Or Audio Interface
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »
I would think that a mixer would primarily be helpful if you have multiple audio devices-- microphone, guitar, drums, etc.-- that you want to record together, and you need to be able to balance and mix their audio together. But I've never had a mixer, so I don't know for sure what features and functionalities are standard on a typical mixer.

As for an audio interface, it's helpful for connecting multiple audio devices to a computer at the same time and sending their individual (i.e., unmixed) audio to a computer via a single USB connection. An audio interface can also be useful for connecting a single audio device to a computer when the computer doesn't have a suitable type of port, because you can connect the device to an appropriate port on the audio interface and then connect the interface to the computer via USB. This can include MIDI devices that don't have a USB-MIDI port for connecting to a computer without an audio interface. But another important benefit is that an audio interface is almost always going to have a much better sound card and much better audio drivers than whatever is inside your computer.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline hitendramahida11

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 06:04:17 PM »
thanks for reply.
Does that mean , recording straight into keyboard would provide similar or better sound quality and having audio interface won't justify significant cost benefit advantage ?
Reason being we can always edit sound through free software like audacity .

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:44:25 AM »
I get outstanding results recording directly into the keyboard - no mixer needed or necessary. A mixer will not improve the recording or sound.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Online SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
I wouldn't worry about spending any money on a mixer or audio interface unless you have a definite need for it.

Hopefully anyone who has actual knowledge and experience related to mixers will correct me if I say anything incorrect, but a mixer mixes multiple audio input signals together to create a single stereo output, and lets you adjust the relative sound levels, left/right balances, and other aspects of each input signal so the combined output sounds the way you want.

So if your keyboard has sophisticated built-in features for mixing and recording, you don't need an external mixer.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443