Author Topic: Hello  (Read 714 times)

Offline GeorgieH

Hello
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:51:45 AM »
I've been playing organs for more than 40 years and during that time have owned Kawai, Hammond and Technics organs. My new PSR 770 is my first venture into arranger keyboards and I have to admit to being somewhat overwhelmed at the moment with all its capabilities! Lots to keep me out of mischief for the next few months I think.

Offline vbdx66

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 01:25:03 PM »
Hello Georgie and welcome to the forum  :)

You'll quickly notice that it is a very helpful and nice community.

There is a sub-section dedicated to the PSR S 670, 770 and 970 keyboards, if you have any question about your new keyboard, people there will be very happy to help you.

There are many other sections in the forum and also in the main PSR Tutorial website that you might want to explore.

No doubt you will have years of musical entertainment with your new keyboard.  8)

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

The following users thanked this post: GeorgieH

Offline Toril S

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi, Georgie! Welcome to this wonderful forum. I have ordered an S970, and will be overwhelmed as well. But there are so many helpful people in this community, so we don't have to worry! Congratulation with your new keyboard!
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
Hi Georgie,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I'm sure you're going to learn a great deal about your new PSR-S770 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.  I played the organ for years also and still play an Electone HS-8T in addition to my Tyros 4.  You're in for a real treat learning about your new keyboard.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend Peter (XeeniX), which presently contains 41,000+ song titles in 670 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here who are always willing and eager to help you.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 06:08:35 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Ben46

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 12:41:44 AM »
Hi Georgie

Welcome aboard and have fun with your PSR-770.

Regards
Ben
Please visit my website.
BENSEL MUZIEK

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:04:49 AM »
Hi Georgie,
I too have played organs for 30+ years and I also had a Kawai. I still regularly play my current 'quartet' of organs, but they have been overshadowed the last few months by the T3. You may find that you miss the bass pedals, but don't worry you'll soon get used to the 770. When I'm playing the Tyros I often find my left leg & foot playing 'ghost pedals', much to the bemusement of others! That's why I keep my hand in, as it were, on the organs.  ::)

If I can offer you some advice as an organ player myself, it's this. The PSR-770 is a reasonably straightforward instrument to get to grips with but if you're used to making registration changes on-the-fly when playing an organ, you will find things are different on the 770. Many use the OTS (One Touch Settings) on the keyboard to vary the sounds during a performance, but it's worth spending a little time thinking about the material you're going to play and setting up your own registrations, beforehand. There's loads of memory to handle that and when you've done it a few times, it gets easier and quicker. And it avoids frustration during playing.

Good luck and enjoy!  :)
Keyboards: Tyros 3, Roland E-70.

Organs: Yamaha HS8, Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S.

Offline GeorgieH

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, you're absolutely right, the absence of a pedal board is a strange sensation particularly as I've developed the habit of using a 'walking bass' technique. I'm going to explore the possibility of using midi to interconnect my instruments, but one thing at a time and I need to get to grips with the 770 first. I shall keep looking through this forum to see what other people do and try and build my expertise that way.

Kind regards,
George.

Offline Lofty(dave)

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 09:48:47 AM »

I may be mistaken if so I oppologise but cant you connect some bass pedals to the s770 if you wanted to do walking bass if so I wouldn't mind connecting a set to my s970

Cheers Lofty ( Dave)

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 01:14:14 AM »
Lofty,
the answer is yes, it's possible to connect a MIDI pedal board to any keyboard instrument that has MIDI built in (which is pretty much all of them these days, including the entry level ones). I'd have to check the manual for specifics regarding turning off the bass part on the styles whilst allowing a full range on the pedal board, as this is an area I've not dabbled in. Not really a fan of MIDI, if I'm honest.

A few years ago I saw a bloke playing a T2 with MIDI pedals and it sounded just like an organ. :D

Personally, I wouldn't pay good money for a set of MIDI bass pedals but if I saw one going for peanuts on one of the auction sites, I might take the plunge. :)
Keyboards: Tyros 3, Roland E-70.

Organs: Yamaha HS8, Yamaha D-85, Technics U90 Pro, Wersi Helios W2S.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 03:25:22 AM »
Hi GeorgieH,

Welcome to these excellent forums where you will find all the help and knowledge you need. The members are all gems.

I am now 76 and still get much pleasure from playing organ and keyboard. I started off learning piano and then moved on to organs and then to keyboards.

Like you, I have had a number of organs including, Hammond C3, Yamaha E30, Yamaha MC600, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70 and now a Yamaha AR100. I still love playing the organ and miss the pedals on a keyboard.

My present keyboard is Tyros5 which is fantastic instrument.

The PSR 770 is also a fantastic instrument and you will get years of pleasure from it. Don’t be afraid to ask here for help and advice. You will not be disappointed.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.