Author Topic: DGX 500 query  (Read 645 times)

DGX 500 query
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:02 AM »
Right I have bought a DGX500 for 100 to use with my s900.

On the manual it says it has 88 touch responsive keys with dynamic filtering.

What I want to know is what is ment by dynamic filtering?

Its not after touch, so what could it possibly refer too?

Also is it me or is it not very bassy on the sound, considering it has the same sound chip as the QY100 I was expecting more punch in the sounds.

Other than that I'm happy with the keybed and that it runs on batteries, ideal for the folk music nights I intend to take it to.

Online SeaGtGruff

Re: DGX 500 query
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
On page 6 of the manual it says:
Touch Response and Dynamic Filter that give you extraordinarily expressive control over the voices. They automatically change both the volume and tone according to your playing strength just like a real musical instrument!
So it sounds like "Dynamic Filter" refers to the Low Pass Filter that controls which higher frequencies are let through. In other words, Touch Response automatically changes the volume according to your playing strength, and Dynamic Filter automatically changes the tone according to your playing strength. I think this might be a standard feature on Yamaha's newer touch-sensitive models, even if their manuals no longer mention it; but back when the DGX-500 was released it was still a relatively new feature, so Yamaha made sure to mention it on models that had it, as a selling point.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline vbdx66

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »
Hi,

The lack of basses in the sound might come from the internal speakers. Try to play the keyboard through your PA system if you have one or through a good pair of headphones to check wether this lack of basses comes form the internal sound generator of from the onboard  amplification. Probably the second option, IMHO.

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Online SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »
Another idea might be to edit the DSP effects of the Voice, as these include some options related to equalization-- see page 36 of the manual.
Michael Rideout

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 10:31:34 AM »
Well guess who didn't read the manual. :-[  Thanks for the replies, I think its down to the speakers as got some decent headphones and its very nice through them aswell as my PA system, so going to order a set of speakers from an s900 and pop them in as they're a better speaker.

Online SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
Well guess who didn't read the manual. :-[

Sometimes you just need a fresh pair of eyes. :)
Michael Rideout

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:16:08 AM »
Have since opened up the unit and put psr-s900 speakers in, and modded the wooden panel under the speaker with a port so bass comes out the bottom aswell as the top, sounds so much better. Not louder, but clearer and a better bass tone.

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 11:39:54 PM »
Simon

You are quite the handyman, and you have brought back many fond memories of my long forgotten past, when I had a knack for attempting to improve (?) the sound of just about every device I had, that was equipped with speakers, but since you did not mention it, I thought perhaps I should.  If you have not already, you might want to consider covering your bass ports with some type of grille cloth or other sturdy mesh or screen.  Else, any number of wee critters, that are really there, but seldom seen, may take up residence in your speaker enclosures, to the eventual detriment of your new-found speakers.  Just a thought!

Cheers!

Matt
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:43:36 PM by mbriggs »