Author Topic: PSR-E443, Change Easy Chord voice  (Read 2429 times)

Offline brownie

PSR-E443, Change Easy Chord voice
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:25:30 AM »
Hello everyone,

I've recently acquired a PSR-E443 and have a question about the default "Easy Chord" voice.

I start with the Grand Piano voice then following the procedure on page 47 of the manual (STYLE - ACMP ON - SYNC START OFF) I can play (Single Finger) Easy Chords with my left hand. How can I change the default voice of the Easy Chords in my left hand? Currently I get a bass note then a bunch of strings and cannot fathom out how to change it.

Any help much appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Paul

Offline SciNote

Re: PSR-E443, Change Easy Chord voice
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the sounds of the easy-play auto accompaniment are preset and tied to the style you select.  If the rhythm/style is not running or started, but the auto-accompaniment is switched on, then you'll just get steady notes and chords with it, but if the rhythm is started, then the bass, chords, and background notes will play in rhythm.  As far as I know, you cannot select different automatic background sounds for a given style, but different styles use different background sounds.  Also, while I don't believe you can change the sounds used for a given style, you should be able to remove parts of the auto-accompaniment, such as the bass, pad chords, or drums, by using the track select buttons.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »
To the best of my knowledge, the sounds of the easy-play auto accompaniment are preset and tied to the style you select.

Hello Scinote,

Thank you for your reply.

The bit that has caused me to ask the question is that I have not selected a style, I select voice "Grand Piano" then press STYLE - ACMP ON - SYNC START OFF.

I've tried messing around with the styles and nothing changes.

Seems like I am stuck with the bass note and strings, unfortunately.

Kind regards,

Paul

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
Oh, I see.  That may have to do with using the Grand Piano setting -- I think its a mode that tells the keyboard to essentially act like a piano.  I'll have to check it on mine and see what happens -- I have the PSR-E433, the previous model, but it is very similar.  Off hand, though, I'd say try selecting the piano voice using the Voice button selector, then hitting the Style button, and then try selecting different styles to see what happens.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 02:03:16 AM »
Okay, I took a closer look at these functions on my E433, and it looks like I was wrong.  If the style wasn't actually playing, but the auto-accompaniment was switched on, I got the same thing you did -- just bass and strings with the easy-play chords, and it did not matter whether I selected piano voice through the Grand Piano button or the voice select numbers, nor did it matter what style number I selected.  Additionally, the track-select buttons also had no effect while the style was not started or running, and selecting a different main voice also had no effect.

Once I started the style, however, then that is when different instruments sounds came into play, based on the selected style, and that is also when the track buttons had an effect.  Of course, when the style is actually started, then the instruments all play in rhythm, not just steady-state chords like when the style is not running.  But then again, I didn't try it with all styles -- maybe some styles have a more prominent "pad" or sustaining-chord section -- you'd have to experiment.  And then, when the style is running, if you don't want the drums or other melodic parts of the style to play, then you can remove those parts with the track-select buttons.

In fact, that may be the best solution -- start the style, then try different styles to get different accompaniment instruments, and then if you only want sustained chords, use the track-select buttons to remove everything except "pad", which is usually a sustained chord.  Just be aware that all styles may not have a pad section.  You may also want to keep the bass part, as well, though once again, it will probably play a bass line in tempo with the style, not just a sustained note.

So, it just appears that Yamaha only allows for one type of easy-play background if a style is not actually playing.  But of course, if anyone else has any input, let us know!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:06:04 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline arvacon

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:59 PM »
I noticed the same thing on PSR-E453. Does anyone knows if there is any change for this model or there is no hope to change the voice of easy chords?
Does this happening only in psr-e series or at psr-s too?
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
I would guess that if it works this way on the PSR-E4xx models, it probably works the same way on the other PSR-E models.

As far as I know, it does not work this way on the PSR-S models.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline arvacon

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 06:23:32 PM »
So do you mean at psr-s series you can change the voice of easy chords?
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:22:23 PM »
I've never played any of the PSR-S models, but I haven't heard of this issue ever being mentioned by the people who play a PSR-S model.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:44:40 AM »
This is called 'stop accompaniment'. As you've found, it's a fixed bass / pad voice. You can't change it.
S770