Author Topic: Easy chords voice can change at PSR-E453  (Read 770 times)

Offline arvacon

Easy chords voice can change at PSR-E453
« on: September 20, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
Good morning.

I was searching around my psr-e453, to try find a way to change the Easy Chords voice at left part of the keyboard. After some experiments, I think I have find finally a way to do this.

-We hold down the SPLIT button and we choose the same voice as the MAIN voice, for example if we have Grand Piano at MAIN, we choose the same for SPLIT.
-Then we go at function 032, S.OCTAVE and we change it to 0 or whatever we have set for the main octave.
-Then we enable the ACMP and we can play now Easy Chords with the same voice of the right side. If we disable the ACMP, the voice is everywhere the same and at the same octave at left and right side, like if we had disabled the SPLIT and ACMP functions together.

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but at least it is nice to know that it can be done finally.  :)
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Easy chords voice can change at PSR-E453
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
Thank you for posting this! I'll try it out and see what happens. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline arvacon

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
I just forgot to mention that you need also change the 031 - S.VOLUME at the same level as the 011 - M.VOLUME, to have the same volume everywhere.  ;)
PSR-E453

Offline arvacon

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »
On the PSR-E433, and I assume on the PSR-E443 and E453, you do not HAVE to select the SAME voice for the Split as the Main..

Well, you don't have to select the same voice for the Split of course, as it's up to what you play.
But if for example you want to play some classical music, it will be useful to have grand piano at every key and at the same time your very left side to working as easy chords, as with this way you can make a better use of the 61 keys limitation I guess.  :)
PSR-E453

Offline SciNote

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 12:38:01 AM »
I'm quite impressed, as I never knew this before!  I have a PSR-E433, and this feature works on my keyboard.  I don't use easy-play (single finger) chords, so I wouldn't use this feature much, if at all, but it's quite interesting to know that the keyboard can do this, as I don't think its in the manual.  A few important observations...

The unexpected feature is that, when split voice and auto accompaniment are engaged at the same time, and you play an easy-play chord on the left/split/accompaniment side of the keyboard, such as a single "C" key to play a C major chord, then the selected split voice also PLAYS THE WHOLE CHORD!  This is what I'm surprised about.  I figured that if you just hit the C note, that the style's auto-accompaniment would play the full C chord, but that the split voice would only play the single note that you're playing -- but it doesn't!  It plays the notes of the entire chord!

The chord does not play it in any kind of rhythm -- it plays it as a "pad", or just as a single strike of the keys when you first play the easy-play chord.  However, you can play the easy-play chord repeatedly, in rhythm, and the split voice chord will sound each time you hit the easy-play key (or keys), giving you the flexibility to play an easy-play chord for a background, but still have control over the rhythm of the split voice chord.

In my opinion, it is better to set the split voice to a higher octave for this purpose, so that the resulting split voice chords sound bright and clear.  If you set the split voice to a low octave, then the resulting split voice chords will sound kind of muddled.

What you cannot do with this feature is to play a left-hand counter-point or bass line with the split voice when auto-accompaniment is on, because if you try to do so, then each new note you play with the left hand will change the background chord of the style, which is not likely what you'd want.

If you play actual multi-note chords with the split voice and auto accompaniment engaged, then the keyboard appears to do what I would expect, which is to play the split voice chord notes that you're playing on the keyboard while playing the same chord with the style's auto-accompaniment.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520