Author Topic: Anybody using an external display?  (Read 7008 times)

Offline konaboy

Anybody using an external display?
« on: May 22, 2016, 01:01:25 AM »
I hooked up a 29" 1920x1080 computer LCD screen to the VGA output of the PSR-S970.   There are two modes, lyrics and a mode that mirrors what's on the PSR LCD. i tried both but the picture didn't fill up the entire screen, only 75% in the middle.

I checked the PSR specs and the resolution of the 7" internal screen is "TFT Color Wide VGA LCD" which I calculated to be 848 x 480px in widescreen 16:9 format.

I don't know if the external display is shrinking the picture to 75% or if the PSR is outputting a smaller picture.  Hopefully the former, because then I can just purchase another display.

I'd like to hear from other owners, has it worked for you?

It could be a nice feature, most of us have an extra screen lying around from an old PC and I was thinking of putting one up on the wall behind my keyboard so I don't have to peer down at the smaller screen so much.
Come hang with me over at Woody Piano Shack!

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Anybody using an external display?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 08:42:45 AM »
Page 130 of the S970 Reference Manual states that maximum size of the .BMP image file that should be used to personalise the MAIN PICTURE is 800x480 pixels, so this is probably the resolution of the display.

Have you checked your monitor's manual to see if the image size for RGB input can be adjusted?

By coincidence I purchased a 21.5" ASUS wide screen monitor just last week which has RGB as well as HDMI inputs, so after seeing your post I hooked it up to my Tyros4 via the RGB socket to see what happened.

The T4 does not have a 'Wide' screen and the resolution is 640x480 pixels, but the monitor automatically adjusted itself so that the image completely filled the screen for the LCD output from the T4, and with narrow black bands above and below with the Lyrics/Text output (the outputted image when set to Lyrics/Text does not show the Title line at the top of the keyboard display or the bottom line showing the button options, so this presumably accounts for the black bands).

Obviously this does not help as far as the S970 output is concerned and hopefully someone using an S970 will be able to confirm the situation regarding it, but if I were you, I would be checking the monitor controls/settings before doing anything else.

Regards

Ian

« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 08:48:24 AM by tyrosaurus »

HSL

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 10:48:32 AM »
The only resolution that makes sense for a LCD panel is the NATIVE resolution. Every other resolution is crap anyway.

So since your panel is full HD and the VGA connector does NOT support full HD, you will always see a poor quality image.

The video output of the PSR is intended for karaoke use, where poor quality blocky letters, seen from a few meters away are no problem.

For every other use, forget about it.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
Hi

I borrowed my bedroom-TV. Placed it on the floor beside the S970. https://youtu.be/h6pZzBvjj_Y
🎼 ♭ ♬ oldfarm  ♫ ♪ 🎹🎹🎹 ♯ ♫♫ ♫♪♫♪♪♬

Experience Never Gets Old. PSR-S970, S910

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
The only resolution that makes sense for a LCD panel is the NATIVE resolution. Every other resolution is crap anyway.

So since your panel is full HD and the VGA connector does NOT support full HD, you will always see a poor quality image.

The video output of the PSR is intended for karaoke use, where poor quality blocky letters, seen from a few meters away are no problem.

For every other use, forget about it.

Although I agree that you will get the best from a monitor when used at it's native resolution, the monitor that I tried is 1920x1080 (native) full HD, and yet when I fed it the 640X480 pixel RGB output from my Tyros4, it automatically produced a very acceptable image which filled the screen.  The display was stretched but this was not very noticeable.

Maybe it wouldn't satisfy your high standards, but from what I saw the image clearly displayed even the finest characters used on the keyboard LCD display, and would be very usable as an alternative to the keyboard panel.  However since the display panel on the Tyros can be tilted to suit the user, I don't intend to use an external monitor.

Regards

Ian 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:23:50 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline konaboy

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »
thanks for all the responses.  during the day I have done some testing with two other monitors I have bought, begged and borrowed.

1) Philips 29" 1920x1080 - Small image 75% in middle of screen
2) Dell 19" 1280x720? - Good image, fills screen horizontally, black bars top & bottom
3) BenQ 22" 1920x1080 - Stretches image to fit horizontal width, black bars top & bottom.  On-screen knobs looked slightly oval.

2) and 3) were quite good, very useable.  I think the native resolution that the PSR outputs is a bit unconventional and that's why some monitors do a bad job of scaling and displaying the image.

once i got the monitor positioned behind the keyboard facing me it was a big improvement ergonomically, it's more comfortable on the shoulders and neck to look forward than look down.  And the larger text was very helpful in some modes.

I didn't notice any blockiness or pixelation, the monitor seemed to smooth that out.  It looked good.

I recommend you try if you have a 970.  The BenQ I bought today used for about $40, old low resolution panels are almost a dime a dozen.  many of you probably have unused LCD panels lying around from older PCs.  Give it a shot!

Offline overover

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 11:53:58 AM »
Hi konaboy,

at some monitors you can stretch the displayed image SIZE manually by pressing the Menu buttons. Did you try this?

Offline konaboy

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
@overover, yeah I explored the menus on all monitors.  All three had the possibility to adjust h-pos and v-pos but not size.  i really wanted to stretch out the vertical size to fit the screen but no go. 

Offline stkeys

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
I connected an Old Dell 19 inch LCD up to my PSR S970 today and had same problem with only partial screen shown. I adjusted/shifted the Vertical to the right  100% but still didn't fit. The Auto Adjustment didn't fix it either.

One advantage over this Dell is it has USB hubs built in so after connecting the USB out on the back of the  keyboard to the monitor I can attache my USB drives to the monitor. Works great and much more accessable so I can live with the 90 % or whatever it is screen view. I can see most of what I need, still need to look down at the keyboard to puch buttons anyway so no big deal althogh it would be nice to have full pictureon monitor.

HSL

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 12:47:53 AM »
From what we have seen so far we can conclude that the video out is a useless and badly engineered "feature" Yamaha should be ashamed of.

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 02:12:47 AM »
From what we have seen so far we can conclude that the video out is a useless and badly engineered "feature" Yamaha should be ashamed of.

Hi, all,

Thanks for this interesting and timely topic.  A neighbour of mine is about to go for a PSR-S970 over the PSR-S770, solely for the Video Out feature that the 970 offers.

As the S970 costs almost double the price of the S770, I suggested finding a friendly store where they might demonstrate the Video Out feature, to show if it is worth his paying the higher price of the S970. 

He is already aware of the extra features of the S970, but that only the Video Out is of interest to him.       

Incidentally, maybe a daft question:  has anyone tried pointing a webcam over a PSR-S' screen, to see if the high definition PSR-S screen's image might be good for stretching via computer webcam?

EDIT:  Whoops, meant to say "high definition webcam" - not PSR-S's screen image, pardon me.  :D :-[ :D

cheers all
   Jack

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:19:49 AM by Happy Jack »

HSL

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:53:23 AM »
The PSR screen is not high definition. You can count the pixels by naked eye.
A low end smartphone has much higher pixels density.

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2016, 10:22:43 AM »
The PSR screen is not high definition. You can count the pixels by naked eye.
A low end smartphone has much higher pixels density.

Cheers, HSL, realised my mistake and have now corrected my previous post:  meant to say "high definition webcam" not the PSR-S's screen image.
   thank-you
   Jack

Offline Jeff J

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
I agree this feature would be very useful. Maybe the 970 is not twice the cost of a 770, but it is expensive. In another post, I observed that video panels/screens are pretty cheap in bulk these days. It is surprising that 10" screens are not on these devices, with hi-res video out.

It may not be difficult to map out the pins to the lcd panel and build a custom video out on a 770 or lower model. The resolution would not be amazing, but it should be possible.
Jeff
PSR-S770 owner.....in Austin, Texas

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 05:13:12 AM »
I agree this feature would be very useful. Maybe the 970 is not twice the cost of a 770, but it is expensive. In another post, I observed that video panels/screens are pretty cheap in bulk these days. It is surprising that 10" screens are not on these devices, with hi-res video out.

It may not be difficult to map out the pins to the lcd panel and build a custom video out on a 770 or lower model. The resolution would not be amazing, but it should be possible.

Hi there Jeff J,

Not having those kinds of skills myself, I would be in awe of seeing a demo of that.  (Not that I would encourage anyone to void their keyboard's warranty, if applicable).   Maybe a trial on an older model keyboard, using the keyboard's music stand for support?

cheers,
  Jack

Offline Jeff J

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 05:10:50 PM »
I'll let you know if I do it. So far I did not yet acquire a 770 or 970. Still slightly on the fence with the moxf series. Usually for everything I get, I keep it for a long time. So warranties don't matter...like my 11 year old car. If I want to drill a hole in the dashboard and put in bluetooth...who cares? btw, i'm pretty much a computer guy for over 25 years.
Jeff

Offline Joe H

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 06:38:28 PM »
No one has mentioned the fact that Yamaha's main purpose for including the VGA output is to display lyrics for singalongs. The Japanese are very fond of Karaoke.  And there is no room on the PSRs to add a bigger screen or much of anything else because they are using all available space for speakers.  (which I never use)   :P.

So don't get your hopes up for a 10" screen on a future PSR arranger, unless they decide to make a model with no speakers like the Tyros.  Then we would have room for lots of other stuff like a bigger screen and lots of faders and knobs.   ;D

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Jeff J

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:09 PM »
Yes, actually that is a very good point Joe. That would also be a good reason for them to have that on the 770, and not just the 970.

The larger (existing) PSR screens are interesting to me, so I can see the menus. I'm an oldster.
Jeff

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 12:21:31 AM »
Yes, actually that is a very good point Joe. That would also be a good reason for them to have that on the 770, and not just the 970.

The larger (existing) PSR screens are interesting to me, so I can see the menus. I'm an oldster.

Steady on there, Jeff, you'll be wanting them to include Vocal Harmony on the PSR-S770 too!   ;D  Not sure where that would leave the PSR-970 sales, though.  ;D

My neighbour is looking at the PSR-S970 for its video out, not for the karaoke, but for his neck mobility issues.  Although with the price of the S970 plus a new iPad, maybe he'd better spend the money on a new neck.  :o

On the subject of Karaoke, does anyone remember this oldie by Yamaha?
   (picture posted)

Offline konaboy

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 10:14:37 AM »
Hi all, I did a video on this topic, nice if you are curious to see my setup in action.  I also cover upgrading the firmware and discuss "buttongate" :)  There are plenty of other PSR vids on my channel and more in the pipeline.  Take a peek around!

https://youtu.be/nFt5jhaPud4

btw, Is there a way to embed a youtube vid in a forum post?

cheers!
Woody

The following users thanked this post: Taffinator

Offline jerryghr

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 10:49:31 AM »
Great job with the videos.

I'm now a subscriber to your channel.

Jerryghr

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »

Hi, Woody,

Nice work, sir!  Not just the monitor job but your video presentation.

I'm a fan of clear speech and natural enthusiasm:  you're certainly not lacking in either.  8)

regards,  Jack

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 02:19:01 PM »
Hi Woody,

Very nice video and Youtube channel, Woody.  Everything is well thought out, informative and entertaining at the same time.

Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Happy Jack

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 10:13:29 AM »
Hi all, I did a video on this topic, nice if you are curious to see my setup in action.  I also cover upgrading the firmware and discuss "buttongate" :)  There are plenty of other PSR vids on my channel and more in the pipeline.  Take a peek around!

https://youtu.be/nFt5jhaPud4

btw, Is there a way to embed a youtube vid in a forum post?

cheers!
Woody

After watching your video, my neighbour has jumped off the fence and has gone shopping for a new Yamaha PSR-S970, with second-hand BenQ monitor to follow.  :)

regards, Jack

Offline konaboy

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 12:48:57 PM »
@Jack, the mission of my channel is to inspire, so if i've influenced your neighbour to play any keyboard then I'm delighted.  Although I think you might be pulling my leg... :)

thanks to you all for checking out the video, and the nice words of encouragement.  See you again soon!

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »
Watched you video.
I have an older 15" TFT display in 4 : 3 and this is perfect to Yamaha keyboards with VGA.
I'm looking for a way, to use my PSR S 970 for projecting lyrics. The manuals are a bit confusing.
Is it possible to use a BMP file and possible, that a registration recalls it?

Offline Toril S

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »
Hello all! Although this feature is not perfect, it is useful for me. I have a Benq monitor, and will try it. Since I have to use magnifier program on top of it all, I expect poor picture, but I am used to that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:35:20 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:36 PM »
Watched you video.
I have an older 15" TFT display in 4 : 3 and this is perfect to Yamaha keyboards with VGA.
I'm looking for a way, to use my PSR S 970 for projecting lyrics. The manuals are a bit confusing.
Is it possible to use a BMP file and possible, that a registration recalls it?

No. The keyboard supports only txt files. And you can easily incorporate them into registrations. Just watch my videos to see how.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Mendel

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
@Jack, the mission of my channel is to inspire, so if i've influenced your neighbour to play any keyboard then I'm delighted.  Although I think you might be pulling my leg... :)

thanks to you all for checking out the video, and the nice words of encouragement.  See you again soon!

Hi Woody!

You did a awesome job demonstrating s970's potential to its fullest, then you were the ONLY one that was able to make a proper normal nice presentation
and if not for you i would probably go for the pa900 'cuase pa900 was out for longer =(more videos about pa900) that i was able to see.

Truly all credits belong to you because otherwise i would of made a really stupid bad choise

Best Regards,
Mendel G. 

Offline Toril S

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 09:37:23 AM »
Same for me. The video was very useful. Thank you, Woody!
Toril S

PSR S970, PSR 2100 and PSR-47.

http://psrtutorial.com/perf/torilSusegg.html