Author Topic: Newly released Korg PA 1000 - how will Yamaha respond?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Taffinator

Newly released Korg PA 1000 - how will Yamaha respond?
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
The new Korg PA 1000 looks rather tasty, with lots of interesting features, I wonder how Yamaha will respond.

Online Joe H

Re: Newly released Korg PA 1000 - how will Yamaha respond?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:08:29 AM »
They dont have to respond.... both Korg and Yamaha now are on a 4 year release schedule... there is now 2 years between competing moddels...  so we will see a psr s990 in 2 years...

We will see Genos this year and the Pa5x in 2 years, they both have things covered... they are not competing, but got out of eachothers way since Roland left the stage..

I think if we look at how Yamaha spent 3 years re-designing the Motif to become the Montage as a strong indicator of how they may also have applied the same kind of know how in re-inventing their TOTL arranger.  We can expect a "better mouse trap" to be announced very soon.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:25:32 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline maartenb

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 10:02:12 AM »
both Korg and Yamaha now are on a 4 year release schedule... there is now 2 years between competing moddels...  so we will see a psr s990 in 2 years...

We will see Genos this year and the Pa5x in 2 years
Hi Bachus,

This four year release cycle, is this something you heard from Yamaha or is it your personal theory?

Because although there are four years between the Tyros5 and the Genos, I am not convinced this is a new pattern. It could be a one time event and that the Genos 2 arrives after three years in 2020.

Maarten

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 02:16:41 PM »
Yes this is quite possible because I think the Montage effected the time of launch for the new keyboard.

Offline Constrictor

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:34:39 AM »
To all.

I think Yamaha has to stop, first of all, limiting the changes to the parameters of the sound components of its keyboards.
Then I will think about the novelty at the usual cost of thousands of dollars / euro.
Korg, does not limit any changes and costs are similar.
I've been playing Yamaha for so many years. Now, I'm tired of these constraints.
Regards.
Franco

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 07:27:52 AM »
Hi Franco,

If you should go for another brand and sell your Yami, your huge collection of Yamaha software will no longer be usable.😻

In the long run you might regret your decision, I guess.😰

Jeff
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:29:26 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline voodoo

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:06 AM »
I think Yamaha has to stop, first of all, limiting the changes to the parameters of the sound components of its keyboards.

This is one of my greatest wishes, too. I would like to inspect preset voices and reassemble their layers to new sounds, or use live controls to control DSP parameters.

But I must admit, in real life, I mostly use only the preset voices, and most arranger players do so. Thus Yamaha prefers an easy user interface over deep parameter editing.

Uli
Yamaha Genos (finally)
Nord Electro 5D

The following users thanked this post: Del 123

Online Joe H

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 08:00:18 AM »
... I would like to inspect preset voices and reassemble their layers to new sounds, or use live controls to control DSP parameters...
Uli

Maybe Yamaha will add this capability in YEM for the high-end PSRs like is now possible for the T5. It would be nice to tweak Preset Voices to sound a little different.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 09:26:37 AM »
Yamaha prefers an easy user interface over deep parameter editing.
I dont think this a Yamaha preference per se, its because they believe it is what is preferred in the arranger market.
Mike

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 11:10:44 AM »
Yes this is quite possible because I think the Montage effected the time of launch for the new keyboard.

I agree with Eileen. I think Montage challenged Yamaha: all new hardware, all new software. If you're a fan of Fred Brooks ("The Mythical Man Month"), Montage has the hallmarks of a late development project. By Yamaha's own statement, Montage is a work in progress.

Yamaha likely had to reallocate developers to get Montage out of the door and making money. With a finite number of engineers, something has to give somewhere.

Nonetheless, I look forward to a fantastic new instrument.

All the best -- pj

Offline Constrictor

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:27:28 AM »
Hi Franco,

If you should go for another brand and sell your Yami, your huge collection of Yamaha software will no longer be usable.😻

In the long run you might regret your decision, I guess.😰

Jeff

Jeff, that's what you say.
In fact, I have 71 Registration Memory x 8 locations = 568 leases committed for my executions with Tyros 5,
In addition, I have small packages of extra voices.
Thank you Jeff, for your intervention.
Greetings,
Franco

Offline Constrictor

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:56 AM »
This is one of my greatest wishes, too. I would like to inspect preset voices and reassemble their layers to new sounds, or use live controls to control DSP parameters.

But I must admit, in real life, I mostly use only the preset voices, and most arranger players do so. Thus Yamaha prefers an easy user interface over deep parameter editing.

Uli

Okay, your speech is fine, however, Yamaha as well as facilitating users, it must be borne in mind that there are also those who want to use the voices and modify them altogether.
Yamaha does, however, pay the customer everything, even the limitations it imposes, and this is not fair and incorrect
Greetings.
Franco.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 06:06:50 AM »
Thus Yamaha prefers an easy user interface over deep parameter editing.
There might be hope.

I recently watched the four part video serie of Phil Clendeninn where he goes into depth explaining the Montage. There he says that the Montage has been designed to service both "snorkelers" and "deep divers". In onther words, for people who want to sit down and play, everything is laid out easy, accessible and are not burdened by details. For people who want to get into the bowels of the Montage however, other screens are available, showing everything.

Since I believe that Yamaha have rethought the screen layouts for the Genos, I expect and hope that the Genos will have a similar user interface philosophy: easy operation during live and home play, and editable (to a certain extent) for studio and light workstation use.

Maarten

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 06:15:56 AM »

Hope you are right, Maarten.
It would be great if Yamaha should launch a  Genos DAW simultaneously.
Cross my fingers.😉

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN