Author Topic: problem playing vst through keyboard  (Read 630 times)

Offline hitendramahida11

problem playing vst through keyboard
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »
I have downloaded "Alicia's key" Piano vst in my window computer and connected my s950. now when i load this software thr' Kontact interface, sound does not come from speaker. if i press computer keys , i see the bar going up/down , however playing it through keyboard doesn't work. i am making some really small mistake here, kindly correct and share your wisdom.

thanking you in advance.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: problem playing vst through keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 01:20:12 AM »
What connections have you made between the keyboard and the computer? If you want the computer to play the sound of a virtual instrument through your keyboard's speakers, then in addition to the MIDI or USB-MIDI connection you'll need to run a 1/8" TRS (stereo) audio cable from the computer's audio output (speakers or headphones) jack to the keyboard's audio input (AUX) jack.

EDIT: Or, if you've got an audio interface connected between the keyboard and the computer, you'll need to run the audio cable from one of the interface's headphones jacks to the keyboard's AUX jack. Some audio interfaces may have more than one headphones jack-- one for monitoring the audio that's going into the interface (i.e., before it goes to the computer) and another for monitoring the audio that's coming from the interface (i.e., that the computer sent it). Make sure you use the jack that lets you hear the sound from the computer.

Also, you might need to check the settings in the software to be sure it knows which of the available audio outputs you want it to send the audio to.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:37:26 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: hitendramahida11

Offline hitendramahida11

Re: problem playing vst through keyboard ( ATTACHED PICTURE ..PLS HELP)
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 01:08:20 PM »
Thank you. however after spending lot of time, i am still where i was.Here is what i have done step by step.
1. downloaded Alicia's key and Kontact 5 ( interface ).
2. Downloaded drivers just in case from yamaha's website for midi connection.
3. Connect keyboard Host connection to PC's USB.
4. On keyboard. open Kontact to load piano VST.
5. Computer sound output to dedicated speaker.
6. Keybaord - function setting - MIDI setting to ALL PARTS

NEED HELP -  OFF Right 1 & Right 2 on s950 . pressing key on s950 or PC keyboard has no activity on VST.
RIGHT 1 ON - pressing key on s950 and keyboard key , would see the moment on VST , HOWEVER SOUND I HEAR FOR S950 NOT FROM VST.

i have tried connecting headphone to PC out and also tried running 1/8 cable from PC out to keyboard AUX input, however no sound..

Been spending hours, so any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: problem playing vst through keyboard
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
I may have misunderstood your original post, because I had thought you're able to play the virtual instrument with your keyboard, but were trying to get the sound to play through the keyboard's speakers.

When setting up the MIDI on the keyboard, you need to go into the MIDI Send settings-- or MIDI Transmit settings, whatever the option is called. (I'm unable to look it up in the manual right now.) I don't have one of the PSR-S models, but I think the "All Parts" option might be in the MIDI Receive settings, which are used when you want to remotely control or play voices on the keyboard using external hardware or software. Anyway, you want to assign the Right 1 Voice to one of the channels of a MIDI Out port, such as Channel 1 of Port A. You can also assign the other voices to other channels if you plan to play with splits and layers.

In your virtual instrument software, you'll need to make sure the software is listening for MIDI messages coming from the correct MIDI port and channel. With a lot of software the default is for a MIDI track to listen for MIDI messages coming from any MIDI port and any channel, so you might not even need to worry about this setting in the virtual instrument; it's more important if you're using multiple MIDI devices, or are setting up multiple MIDI tracks and want each track to listen on a specific channel.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: hitendramahida11