Author Topic: split voice question  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Aussiejean

split voice question
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:19:19 AM »
Is there a LEFT HOLD button same as I have on the 910. I have changed the split voice on all my registrations  to suitable volumes and octaves, but when I change chords it cuts out but the accompaniment does not. Am I missing something? Probably another silly thing I am doing. It is pouring rain here, so I might as well keep working. Cheers Jean.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: split voice question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:03:53 AM »
I don't think there's an option to sustain the Left/Split voice, if that's what you mean. That's one of the "wants" on Bob's wish list for the next model.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: Aussiejean

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
Thanks  Michael. What a disappointment. I like a soft sustained left voice. Still raining. Jean. >:( >:(

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 01:50:11 AM »
Yep, allowing the sustain pedal to affect left-hand split voices would be nice.  However, until we get the feature, what you can do is either choose a voice for the split voice that already has a lot of built-in sustain/release, or you can crank up the reverb on the split voice as far as it will go!
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 05:07:33 AM »
I think Jean's after a slightly different feature - on PSR / Tyros, the Left Hold option lets you lift your hands away and the notes keep sounding as if you'd kept pressing the keys. This lets you do something else with your left hand (e.g. get ready for the next chord).

The problem with Bob's suggestion is that the voice will linger on when you press the next keys down, rather than cutting off.
S770

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
The only thing that the PSR-E has like that is the way the auto-accompaniment keeps playing in the same key after you take your hand off the keys, so maybe it would be possible to create a custom style that could play sustained chords without a bass line, melody line, or rhythm-- assuming those aren't wanted.
Michael Rideout

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:38:18 PM »
Derek.       That's exactly what I was looking for. The left voice (split voice) lingers  until the chord change. Jean.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:26:04 AM »
Thought so Jean - sadly though, that feature isn't present. I think Michael is right that the only real solution would be to customize a style.

Again though, that isn't possible on the E453. You'd need to do it externally using a commercial utility, or ask someone who has a PSR / Tyros to make one for you.

You'd need the pad channel to use your preferred voice and be set to play block chords at a relatively high volume. You could keep the other channels as they were.
S770

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:48 AM »
Thanks Derek. I will file that advice for the future. I am using soft strings or similar voice for now, which is better than no voice at all. It would be good if the number pad could be used to bring up the corresponding function (such as dual octave 022.) Seems that you have to rotate the wheel or keep tapping + and - buttons. Is that right? I don't want to wear them out. Jean.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
The wheel and category buttons are the only way but there are some panel buttons which when you hold them down for a few seconds take you to a specific function (e.g. transpose). So the trick is to use one of those to get 'close' to the function you want so there's less clicking.
S770

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
Thanks Derek. It is as I thought. It seems like a library of Registration memories is the only way to go. Jean.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08:16 PM »
Is the function value #4, what we call split voice sustain ? I am attaching a pic.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
Is the function value #4, what we call split voice sustain ? I am attaching a pic.

Yes, I would say so. That's a good catch! :)
Michael Rideout

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 02:06:55 AM »
Actually, I found this feature in PSR I455, and it might be the only keyboard in this price range, to be loaded with that function. Even the newer/predecessor E series models do not have that function, but that is a useful feature for Sitar/Tanpura lovers, where they need to prolong the sustain period for lower notes.
Well, still another reason to prefer I-455 over E series keyboards in our country.
Anupam
PSR-E453

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »
Darn it, you're right-- the Owner's Manual for the PSR-E453/PSR-EW400 doesn't show that setting for the "Pdl Func." :(
Michael Rideout