Author Topic: Strange T5 message - Reg mem full ? - do you know ?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline Al Ram

Strange T5 message - Reg mem full ? - do you know ?
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
Hello Friends.

Hopefully you will know what this is all about . . . .

I have my Tyros 5 registrations, using the 1-8 reg buttons per one song.    I only have about 200 songs in the keyboard.

Since yesterday I am getting a new and strange message when modifying and re-saving registrations.

"Registration Memory for Auto backup is full  . . .  "   "save your registration, etc" . . . .

I do not have that many songs in the keyboard, only a couple of hundred.  So, the most registrations i have is no more than 1600.   

So, how could this be full . . . . ?   

Not sure what this is or what to do . . . .

The main difference is that yesterday, i loaded about 200 midi files on the kbd to associate one midi with each song on R1 of each song so i can use SongBook+ on my iPad and display my PDF's while playing.

The midi files are now stored in one folder of the hardrive of T5.   Total size of all the midis is 34.9 KB (35,740 bytes).     

I am able to modify and save the registrations, just the message is disconcerting.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

thanks in advance.

AL

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Bill

Re: Strange T5 message - Reg mem full ? - do you know ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Hi Al

It has nothing to do with the number of Registrations you have saved. It refers to the Memory for the loaded registration not those that have been saved. 

Just carryon as normal.

Bill
England

GENOS

Offline manuel

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
Hi,

I gig with my Tyros5 and play in many different venue types....so, I have to be ready with many time line, styles, etc......

So, I will give you a suggestion, this is what I do, since I have several hundreds of Registration banks, I make a folder and make my registrations there, when is getting over 20some or 30some full pages of registrations, I make another folder and start making more registrations on that folder, the key is to put a name with a number in sequence, so, the folders are next to each other and makes it easy to navigate.  8)
So far I have 3 folders, and starting the four..... ;)

My 2 Cents.

Manuel Dorantes

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
Bill,
thanks.  Per your suggestion, i will continue as usual.  I was just wondering why now.  I never encountered this issue before.

Manuel,
it sounds like a good idea.  I will explore, although i do not have that many registrations at this point and i add maybe 100 per year or so. 

Thanks so much for taking the time.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline torben

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:26 PM »
It is a well known bug. It has no importance whatsoever ...

Torben
Tyros 5 was my choice - now it is Genos !

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
thanks Torben.

It is just annoying.   I will disregard the message. 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 02:43:21 AM »
You should not entirely ignore the message. You do need to save the registration file as instructed or your last memorised changes/edits may not be registered or accepted properly if the workspace memory (buffer) has been used up.
John
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:45:08 AM by jwyvern »

Offline John T4

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 04:50:54 AM »
The message refers to the buffer memory for the registration in other words if you were to turn the tyros 5 off normally the last registration you were playing with would be remembered and you can save it later when you turn it back on again,  but once the memory is full then that option would disappear and you could lose the registration you were last working on but had not saved.if you don't save it to The Stick or hard drive

The following users thanked this post: Lesh

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:07:29 AM »
This is not a BUG as has been said, but it is the way the keyboard was designed to work.

Offline Constrictor

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:32:55 AM »
Al Ram, this message appears when you are too fast to press the MEMORY button immediately after the bank number.
Yamaha, has a slow operating system.
Franco

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »
thank you all for your responses.

It seems that this error message is not a major problem.

thanks again and greetings from San Diego.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline torben

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 11:31:44 AM »
As Franco said - it IS a bug ... :'(
Cheers
Torben

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Why does every one jump to use the word BUG to explain things they don't really understand. The keyboard dose need time to sort things and if you try to do things to quickly you will get these messages. If you just push Exit the message will go.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:05:05 PM by EileenL »

Offline torben

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:38:03 PM »
Dear Eileen - I am sorry but I don't think that you are a computer expert. The fact that the tyros needs time IS a problem, call it a bug or not. The tyros is a computer - and well functioning computers do NOT need "time to sort things" out .... only split seconds ...

Torben

Offline EileenL

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 05:42:58 AM »
I am no computer expert I assure you and use it as little as possible when it comes to my keyboard.
Yes keyboards are likened to a computer but totally different in many respects. As you know its saving of folders systems is completely different to that of a computer. Certain things need time for the keyboard to sort out and if you press buttons to quickly you will be given messages. These are not bugs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:46:13 AM by EileenL »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 07:58:17 AM »
Let's at least set the record straight on the message.

It is not a bug..

It was purposely implemented by Yamaha to protect sloppy users who don't save changes to their registrations. The keyboard will remember changes to registrations, even through a power off, because it stores these changes in backup memory. Only if it runs out of backup memory will the changes be lost. And in this case, you're warned that you need to save the changes. That's what the message means: Save your registration changes before a power off, otherwise they'll be lost.

If you're like most users, and always save your registration changes, then you can safely ignore the message. You need to pay attention to the message only if you don't save registration changes through a power off.

Fred
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:50:36 AM by Joe W »
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: tyrosrick

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 02:49:00 PM »
I have come accross a problem saving registrations  I cannot load any more and I have not got a load of registrations .
It keeps saying   Not enough free space  registrations surely do not take up much memory ,unless elsewhere is taking Its place using more memory

I cannot get over this problem ,so I have had to put my latest registration In the expansion.
How do i get over this??

Power on ,power off    same problem

all the best
John
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:50:36 PM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 04:14:33 PM »
This message will often appear and if you press the Exit button it will go and you can then save the Reg. OK.
It is usually because the Reg. save procedure takes a few seconds to sort itself out and if trying to do it to quickly you will get a message Registration Memory Full.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »
I have tried that eileen.
In the registration area it says   Stop-- Not enough free space on this drive

I press exit nothing happens ,

I have to press ok

After that try again and same happens .
I cannot believe I have filled the internal drive up yet or maybe I have !!

All the Best
John

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »
Try connecting your T5 to your computer and take a look at the free memory on your hard drive, John.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
Hi Roger

I will do that In the morning ,getting a bit late now in uk

All the Best
John :)

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »
Just thinking, you are not saving your REGS and a lot of other stuff in the USER memory instead of the HD or USB? As in all Yamaha's over the years that area is quite limited in memory.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 04:32:23 PM »
The message that you are getting is telling you that there is not enough space on the selected drive to store your registration bank.  (BTW this is nothing to do with the 'Reg Mem Full' message asked about by the OP).

Do check the hard drive as Roger suggests, but I think that it is more likely that you are trying to save to the USER drive, which on a Tyros5 is approximately 6.7 MB!

This is not very much space and is shared amongst files of all types (styles, voices, multi pads, registration banks and MIDI songs) that you may have saved to it.  A small amount of it is also used if you have any expansion voices loaded and a few other file types.

I suspect that it is this drive that you have now filled to the extent that there is insufficient space remaining to store even one 5KB or so registration bank.

You can check the available space on the USER drive if you open the Registration Bank file selection screen, tab to the USER drive if necessary, and change the view to 'List' by pressing the upper #7 button if you are not already in that mode.   Now press 'PROPERTY' (button F).  A popup will open showing  'ALL SIZE' (the total size of the drive in MB) and 'FREE AREA' (the remaining space in KB).

If you have filled the USER drive, then you need to create space on it by deleting some files or moving them to the hard disk or USB.  It is probably a good idea to keep most files on the HD or USB and keep the USER drive for use as temporary work space.  That is what I do on my T4, but even then I occasionally have to make some space by clearing out files that I had stored there 'temporarily' a long time ago!  :-[ 

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:34:01 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Paula

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 01:58:29 AM »
Why does every one jump to use the word BUG to explain things they don't really understand. The keyboard dose need time to sort things and if you try to do things to quickly you will get these messages. If you just push Exit the message will go.
I have this message all the time, just continue to save your Reg.as Eileen says  save as you always do it works fine... no one has to be a computer expert!!!! some of these key boards have a hard drive in them but that does not make them a computer
       :) :) Paula
You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xEYzY5g_0Nd5G9TkMY6mA/videos
Tyros 4 and Bose L1 Mod 2 w/tonematch
PSR S970

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 04:25:01 AM »
Yes Paula,
  What this message means is that the internal buffer for registrations needs a little time to sort its self out and if you are saving one registration after another you will often gets this message. Nothing to worry about. It is normal.

Offline Paula

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 06:26:22 AM »
Hi Eileen
 yes  I agree  now talking about memory I have one folder I keep on my T4 HD and many times I want to over write or add something the style etc,now that folder will not allow me as I have to many files in that particular folder named (oldies) (I have many folders on the HD I know a folder will only accept so much data
 at the same time if I copy the change I want to make from the user to the U.S.B and then to that folder (oldies)  it will allow the change I wanted :) :) It all works
 yes the key board has many characteristic of a computer it is not a computer ,just take a key board apart along with a computer you will see a difference
         Paula   
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline Misu

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »
Hi,

I also have this kind of messages on my S970 and always was because of the free space of the USER INTERNAL MEMORY (13MB for S970)
As we know T5 have only 6.7MB so it is possible, even T5 have also HD, if this is almost full, to be first option to save on this memory so it is normal to appear the message(no space there).
On my S970 I just clean the user memory or put on the USB these files.

Regards
Mihai

Offline EileenL

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:56 AM »
Hi Paula,
  The maximum amount of files a folder will hold is 250.

Offline Paula

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 07:06:03 AM »
 Hi
 no way is the hard drive full....the message is not a bug as well the message has been put there  for a reason by yahama as  Eileen enplaned :) a bug is when the key board will shut down etc. and you dont know why? how would any one think a message could appear if not put there for a reason by the program er of the key board
 the user in the key board should mainly only be used as a work area and then be saved to the H.D  or U.S.B these are all teachings I have learned from Elieen to whom probably knows more about these key boards then most,,,I thank her for her teaching , I believe Fred uses  the user area for text files those are small files so it works for him but to fill the user with styles or waves etc.is a no no
You Tube
PSR S970

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
Hi Paula,
  The maximum amount of files a folder will hold is 250.

500 for Tyros and recent PSRs.

Fred

Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons