Author Topic: please advise on Bose L1 or JBL LSR305  (Read 766 times)

Offline hitendramahida11

please advise on Bose L1 or JBL LSR305
« on: August 13, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
in order to get better sound out put from keyboard many of the previous post recommended bose L1. i sold my Roland keyboard amp and now considering buying dedicated speaker system for my keyboard. from JBL LSR 305 and Bose L1 , which one would you recommend.?
 i don't gig out,  and i know bose is 2x costlier then JBL 305. i tried recently mackie monitor and was just blown away by clarity of sound, and now thinking if those lower end mackir CR3 sound so well, how good either of the subject option would be.  please input your comment, observation, opinion or other recommendation if you have used products in similar line.

I don't mind saving extra and wait bit longer , to get better long term investment for my need. feel free to recommend other product .

thanks.

Offline DonM

Re: please advise on Bose L1 or JBL LSR305
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 08:54:10 AM »
I'm going to make a suggestion.  Instead of the Bose L1, consider the LD Systems Maui line.  For about the price of one Bose, you can get two of the Mauis and be able to play in stereo, as the keyboard was designed to do.
They sound as good (better in my opinion) than the Bose, have more inputs and controls, such as e.q.  They even are Bluetooth capable, should you ever need that.
I've been using two of the Maui 5's for more than a year now.  I replaced my Bose L1 Compacts with them and I'm extremely happy with the choice.
The larger Maui's are also fantastic, though I no longer play venues large enough to warrant more volume than the 5's have.  I have played for up to 200 people with them with no problems, but they are particularly well suited for smaller venues.
DonM

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline hitendramahida11

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Thank you . after you suggested maui, i am into whole new world right now. I liked reviews on this product, however in terms of sound quality does they come close to monitor speaker like JBL LSR 305.
I have also seen MACKIE REACH with inbuilt mixer, how would you compare to Maui, if you had a chance to compare one.
Thanks

Offline DonM

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
I can't help with monitor speakers as I don't use them.  I play professionally and I actually very seldom have my keyboard at home.  I'm sure there will be others chime in here, but Sundays can be slow.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »
DonM

I am looking with a lot of interest your suggestion for the LD Maui 5.   I looked it up and it seems to be priced around $600 in the US. 

I currently have a Bose L1 and have been thinking about getting another one.  So, based on your comment, I am seriously considering the Maui instead.

Only one question, your suggestion is to purchase two Mauis.   Do you usually play with two for a live audience ?   what would you think of playing with only one Maui instead of two, this for smaller venues, say 50 people or so . . . . ?

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline billtracy

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
in order to get better sound out put from keyboard many of the previous post recommended bose L1. i sold my Roland keyboard amp and now considering buying dedicated speaker system for my keyboard. from JBL LSR 305 and Bose L1 , which one would you recommend.?
 i don't gig out,  and i know bose is 2x costlier then JBL 305. i tried recently mackie monitor and was just blown away by clarity of sound, and now thinking if those lower end mackir CR3 sound so well, how good either of the subject option would be.  please input your comment, observation, opinion or other recommendation if you have used products in similar line.

I don't mind saving extra and wait bit longer , to get better long term investment for my need. feel free to recommend other product .

thanks.

Actually, if you play only at home and have no plans to play jobs the studio monitors would make more sense. Unless you have the keyboard in a really big room I think a PA would be overkill. Any of the 8 or 10 inch studio monitors such as Mackie, KRK, etc. would be fine.
Current: Korg PA900, KRK Rokit 5s & 8S sub.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland E-A7.

Offline DonM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 12:38:23 PM »
DonM

I am looking with a lot of interest your suggestion for the LD Maui 5.   I looked it up and it seems to be priced around $600 in the US. 

I currently have a Bose L1 and have been thinking about getting another one.  So, based on your comment, I am seriously considering the Maui instead.

Only one question, your suggestion is to purchase two Mauis.   Do you usually play with two for a live audience ?   what would you think of playing with only one Maui instead of two, this for smaller venues, say 50 people or so . . . . ?

thanks in advance.

I ALWAYS use two.  The reasons are: First, our arrangers are designed to be heard in stereo and this is particularly crucial to Yamaha.  So many of the sounds and effects have beautiful panning.  Second, I always have a spare in place and set up if one should ever fail during the job.  I have had that happen a couple of times over the years, including once with a Bose setup.
If you are serious about getting one, or two, contact Frank at audioworksct.com.  You will save money and get expert service before and after the sale.
I find the Maui have better low end response that the Bose Compacts.   
DonM

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
DonM

thanks a lot for your prompt response.  I will contact Frank.  I have purchased from him before. 

thanks a lot.  Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
DonM
based on your recommendation, today i just ordered LD Maui 5.  Got a good deal for less than $600 with two bags for base and columns.   Out the door and shipped here to San Diego.

thanks and have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline DonM

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 09:31:30 PM »
You are going to love them!  And the bags are essential.  They are well made.
Hope you told Frank I said to call!