Author Topic: USB Question  (Read 875 times)

Offline Aussiejean

USB Question
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
Is it allright to use a Lexar 8 GB memory stick on the E453.  This is what I use on  my 910. On page 62 of the manual there is a warning not to use a stick with a rating of more than 5v/500mA., and that it can use devices 1.1 to 3.1. Would someone please decipher all this for me, please as I don't understand what it all means. Is the 8 gig stick too big? Thanks to all who help on this forum - what a great resource. Jean.

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: USB Question
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:44:05 PM »
Hi Jean,

The 'warnings' refer to the voltage (5V) and current (500 mA) that can be supplied by your keyboard's USB to device socket.

No USB Memory Stick designed to work with a USB 1, 2 or 3 device will exceed these limits so you need not be concerned.

Some external hard disks use a cable which has a secondary split one at the computer end to make sure that there is enough current available.  This typically only is needed when the disk first starts to spin up and in many cases is not needed even then.

The requirements of an 8 GB USB stick will be well within these limits.  If you try a very large USB device (say above 64 GB), you may find that it arrives formatted in a format that your keyboard can not use (eg. exFat).  In this case you should format the drive on your keyboard which will ensure that both your keyboard and computer can access the device.

Regards

Ian

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:51:56 PM »
The manual is not referring to the size of your USB flash drive, Jean, but rather is warning you not to use a drive rated over 5 volts/500 milliamps.  You should be able to determine the specification of your drive by the label on the flash drive itself or by reading the literature that came with your USB drive.

The 1.1 to 3.1 is referring to the speed of the flash drive.  You can determine the speed of your particular flash drive by looking at the end of the drive.  They're color coded as follows:

1) White = USB 1.x

2) Black = USB 2.x

3) Blue = USB 3.x

4) Red or Yellow = Sleep and Charge

I hope this helps you.  :)

Edit: Sorry Ian.  It would appear I was typing while you were posting your comment for Jean too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:55:05 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Aussiejean

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 08:27:19 PM »
Thank you Roger and Ian. As long as my 8GB is safe to use, I am OK. I will soak up the other information as I go. If I cant understand it,  I can always get a kid -they know it all. There are not many questions on the E453 on the forum. Am I the only dummy? I am used to my other keyboards having  a designated button for each operation, where this one has one button doing a dozen or more things.Jean.

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
This particular board that you've posted in has several questions and answers about your PSR-E453 keyboard, Jean.  Michael Rideout (SeaGtGruff) provides most of the commentary here and really knows what he's talking about.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
Roger, don.t get me wrong. I appreciate so much all the advice and help I get from this site and also the 910 board, but I am not very computer literate and sometimes need someone to explain the advice. This is where grandsons are usefull. I am a youthful 88 years of age and catch on to most things pretty quick, but I need to study up on all to do with USB. Don't be cross with me :'( :'( :'(

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:15:43 AM »
Jean, I think the vast majority of members on this forum have a PSR-S or Tyros model. But as far as the PSR-E models are concerned, I don't think there are very many members who've bought a PSR-E453 yet. Still, a large percentage of the posts related to the other PSR-E models should also apply to the PSR-E453.

Of course, I realize from your other thread that the PSR-E453 is your friend's, not yours, but you and your friend shouldn't hestitate to ask for whatever assistance you might need. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:56:56 AM »
Thanks Michael. I think that we will need a bit more help.Jean.

Offline pjd

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 10:07:25 AM »
Hi Jean --

Welcome to the forum! Glad that you're making music!

-- pj

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
Hi Jean,

I'm extremely sorry that my post was interpreted as being cross with you, which was certainly not my intention.  I was only trying to point out that the additional help you may need could be found right here in this board, relative to that particular keyboard.

In addition, I wanted you to know that Michael Rideout is very well qualified to provide the answers you may need now and in the future.  I'm certain you've already become aware of this fact.

Have a very nice day, Jean, in The Land Down Under.  I have many friends there and consider you to be another one.  :) :) :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Aussiejean

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »
Thanks Roger. I love your motto. I have one on my wall at the moment which says  I'VE FORGOTTEN MORE THAN I EVER LEARNED. Jean