Author Topic: It would be nice if the Genos had "FM World"  (Read 910 times)

Offline maartenb

It would be nice if the Genos had "FM World"
« on: July 29, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »
If the Genos is to have the same sound generator chip SWP70 as the Montage (and I believe it will), then theoretically it should be possible for the Genos to have native FM synthesis sounds on board. The sampled, famous DX7 "bells" are pretty good on the Tyros, but they don't sound as expressive as the real DX7 or Montage.

I would love to have real FM sounds like the bells and basses on the Genos!

Maarten

Online Marcus

Re: It would be nice if the Genos had "FM World"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
I really liked the Yamaha Modular Synthesis Plug-in System, that adds a COMPLETE SYNTHESIZER or SOUND PROCESSING ENGINE to any Modular-Synthesis-Plug-in-compatible synthesizer or Tone Generator. I have several Yamaha PLG-150 boards with two available expansion slots on my MU-100r Tone Generator. Great resource for home studio work or adding polyphony to a project.

Each board come with a full PC editor program. With my PLG-150DR (drum-kit board) I have a full PC drum editor, plus on-board MU-100R editing, and allows for two separate drum tracks (or drum-kits) to sound at the same time. Sometimes I have used these MU-100R plugin expansion boards with my Tyros 5, but cool if these separate expansion circuits could be built into a Yamaha arranger.

Maybe Yamaha might consider adding such chip sets or reproducing similar sound synthesis architecture from the FM type world inside the Genos. Whatever Yamaha comes up with will be interesting, even if certain past successes are revisited and reintroduced (like full drum-kit editors in previous Yamaha gear).

Yamaha Modular Synthesis Plug-in System
https://ca.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/4/324594/msps_en_02.pdf

Regards, Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline Joe H

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
Marcus wrote:  I really liked the Yamaha Modular Synthesis Plug-in System, that adds a COMPLETE SYNTHESIZER or SOUND PROCESSING ENGINE to any Modular-Synthesis-Plug-in-compatible synthesizer or Tone Generator.

Yes, that's why I keep mine too.  I have 2 VL boards, AN board, DX board and AP Grand Piano board.  I have an MU128 and an MU100R so all 5 boards are accessible to me at any time.  The envelopes and Filters on the Analog and FM boards are amazing... so responsive... way beyond anything possible with a sampled sound.

8)

My Proteus 1000 with v2.2 OS has 16 arpeggiators.  I'm working on an Arp Editor that will allow me to edit custom arps real-time as it plays, but lacks filters and controllers like the Motif... and sadly Yamaha left out User Arps and the Arp Editor for the Motif Rack XS   :(

But all in all.. I have a lot of synths and tools to work with to keep me busy til the end of my days!    ;D

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:54:51 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline John K

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 02:18:52 AM »
Perhaps something like FM Essentials used in conjunction with the new versions of the MX will be available. You can download that app for your iPad and use the first three or four presets with your keyboards.